Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Does 1/10 scale buggy make u better 1/8th driver >

Does 1/10 scale buggy make u better 1/8th driver

Does 1/10 scale buggy make u better 1/8th driver

Old 04-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Does 1/10 scale buggy make u better 1/8th driver

There has been talk at my track that buying and running a 1/10 scale 2wd buggy will make you a better 1/8 scale nitro driver. Getting better is very important to me, but before I go out and buy a 2wd buggy and all the electrics and tires, I'd like to get some input from you all. Any experience?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:55 PM

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Yes
Old 04-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, I think so.
I drove electric 1/10 buggy after my first year of 1/8 racing and it made me better.
Last winter I drove 1/10 onroad and that made also a better drives. I drove mod indoors, and now I drive my 8th scale with more control and this made me a lot more consistent.

I think it doesn't matter if you drive 1/10 buggy or 1/10 onroad. Both classes make you a better driver.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Driving anything on a track will make you better. I ran 1/12th on road and it helped me become smoother. If you really want to get better at 1/8th try a 1/10 4WD if your track offers it as a racing class. I ran 1/10 4WD for a long time and it made me a better 1/8 driver.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

I'm just getting into 1/8 buggy now, yet to race, but have a buggy ready to go. Exciting times.
I have been told by a few drivers that drivers coming from 1/10 backgrounds generally have better control, and it should be a cake-walk. I hope so, because i'm spending enough time trying to figure out Nitro engines as it is!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Does it make you faster? Not necessary. But it does make you more consistent and you will be hitting your lines and braking marks a lot more consistent. I did find that when I ran both 2wd buggy and ebuggy on the same race day that both classes were affected: Too cautious when driving ebuggy and too aggressive when driving 2wd buggy..... For me it is very hard to switch back-and-forth between the two, so I have decided to only run 2wd during the winter.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 122 (98%+)

With out question 1/10 mod buggy & 1/12 scale
Old 04-23-2013, 01:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO View Post
There has been talk at my track that buying and running a 1/10 scale 2wd buggy will make you a better 1/8 scale nitro driver. Getting better is very important to me, but before I go out and buy a 2wd buggy and all the electrics and tires, I'd like to get some input from you all. Any experience?
The conventional thought for offroad racing is that if you can wheel a Mod 2wd buggy, you can wheel anything in offroad pretty well. If you look at many of the top Pro's as a reference, many, if not almost all, came up racing that class. So, I'd say there's at least a degree of truth to it. Does it mean it'll work for everyone? Hard to say. Take Ryan Lutz for example, he's not really known as a 2wd Mod guy. Mainly a Nitro guy and he has seemed to pick up the 2wd buggy pretty quickly. He did qual for the Worlds with it. Though he has ran the 4x4 SC and 4wd buggy a bit longer and that could help as well.

Wheel time can alwyas help, just depends on what works best for you and how it'll carry over for you to another scale/class type
Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Everyone says mod buggy. You want to get smooth and faster. Try a stock 17.5 stadium truck. You must carry momentum through out the track. With the bigger wheels and smaller motor, you dont have the instant punch. Ask a buddy at the track to try one.

If your in my area you can try mine.

Everyone worries about driving somes elses cars. If
I was worried about it breaking I wouldn't bother racing.

And trust me....I am not a pro. My stuff breaks.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

interestingly enough, the FWD touring car helped me understand the importance of steering angle when approaching corners. These cars plow if you just jam lock to lock, so it teaches you stay within the Mu of the tire. Same thing with 1/12th and 2WD SC on a slick track. Being versatile will help you regardless.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
interestingly enough, the FWD touring car helped me understand the importance of steering angle when approaching corners. These cars plow if you just jam lock to lock, so it teaches you stay within the Mu of the tire. Same thing with 1/12th and 2WD SC on a slick track. Being versatile will help you regardless.
Same thing (although to lesser degree) with 4WD. You can't come in hot, and on the brakes, and expect the car to steer. A tire only generates so much traction. Knowing that, you need to to actively think about how you're going to use in in each section of a track.

1/10 buggy is an AWESOME foundation for all other classes IMO. Big power, agility, and skinny tires will teach you the importance of moderation in R/C racing.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Or to learn about corner speed and angle, race Pro10 with 2S lipo and 13.5 turbo brushless. That's about as clsoe to driving real cars as i've had. Get the wrong entry and there is NO recovery!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO View Post
I am sure that If you aks a pro diver he will said
If you really want be a better 1/8 buggy driver, you need practice a lot with a 1/8 buggy car
go to the track, practice, take lap time, look how drive the faster guy , practice, take lap time repeat repeat repeat and of curse find you main set up
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thank you guys for that info. I guess there you have it. Now I gotta buy another car!