Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MBX7 vs Kyosho TKI3

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Mugen MBX7 vs Kyosho TKI3

The thread name pretty much says it all. I'm in the market for a new buggy this season and have gone back and forth on these 2 for months. Right now im leaning towards the Mugen, mainly because it seems like a top notch machine comparable to the tki3 but $300 dollars less expensive which opens up the door for a new engine with the money saved.

Just looking for honest comparisons, especially from those who have run both.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:31 AM
Tech Adept

I have gotten to drive both and they are both great kits. Kyosho handles like a dream and the Mugen is very fast. I agree totally with you on the price. I am thinking of making the switch to mugn myself.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

This is my nonbiased opinion. Both cars are GREAT however, I feel that the Kyosho is not $300 BETTER than the Mugen. The selling point with the Kyosho is that you do not have to buy any option parts to make the car great, and Mugen as done the same thing with the MBX7.

So, if price is a concern get the Mugen and if it's not get the Kyosho....
Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is good information as I am looking to do that myself. I am getting a bonus in the near future and am looking at the Mugen MBX 7 or the TKI3.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Tested both, TKI3 is better. I always thought "it costs too much", but after the test i would go 100% on TKI3. It's a "dream machine"
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Just ordered the mbx7 last night. The extra 300 dollars (330 for the spec a) just does not justify buying for the kyosho name imo. The two machines seem equally as capable based on my observations, no reason to spend the extra money on the k car when it could be spent on a new engine instead. Can't wait to get my kit and start the build, this is my first Mugen im pretty pumped! Gonna spend the money saved on the new Novarossi/Mugen Beat BT5 engine.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I own the MP9, raced it a while.

It's a good car out of the box.

I drove a box-stock MBX7, you can tell that it feels a LOT like the MP overall. But a bit more plush. Maybe a bit more edgy overall and it actually turns in a little more liner feeling. Typical of the pillow ball front end. It really "wraps" itself through a turn rather than rotating and squaring up like the MP tends to do.

Outdoors/rough track I feel like the MP is a little more forgiving and a bit easier to drive.

For generally smoother track and esp. tight tracks, the 7 may have a bit of an advantage.

If I had to do it again, I'd prob buy the Mugen just because it is so similar in feel and obviously less expensive. To me, the quality is the same.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have the MBX7 with a Novarossi P5 (same as the Mugen Beat BT5). it's a great combo. Just about perfect!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by offroad dude
This is my nonbiased opinion. Both cars are GREAT however, I feel that the Kyosho is not $300 BETTER than the Mugen. The selling point with the Kyosho is that you do not have to buy any option parts to make the car great, and Mugen as done the same thing with the MBX7.

So, if price is a concern get the Mugen and if it's not get the Kyosho....
+1 The quality is the same on both cars. You just need to come to terms for the extra $300. Everyone is entitled to how they justify that value.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

You are paying for more than the name... I didnt believe that the car was justifiably better either. But now that I have run the car for 3 races... THE TKI3 is the best car I have ever driven and my race results prove it. It has taken my racing to a whole other level( which is semi slow, instead of super slow...lol). If you buy the TKI 3 and dont like it. You can sell it and then take that $500-$600 that you get for it and buy the MBX7.
Both are great but the KYO is for me.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Tech Adept

I was also deciding between these two about 6 weeks ago. I had a hard time justifying $300 more but if you order from the right place it's much less. In fact it only ended up being $100 more total after shipping to my door.

The Kyosho Store

Food for thought.

JJ
Old 04-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JJRC
I was also deciding between these two about 6 weeks ago. I had a hard time justifying $300 more but if you order from the right place it's much less. In fact it only ended up being $100 more total after shipping to my door.

The Kyosho Store

Food for thought.

JJ
I wonder how much that would be shipped to the US.

Also I wonder which is easier when it comes to maintenance?

Last edited by pitboss; 04-18-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask a question
Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pitboss
I wonder how much that would be shipped to the US.

Also I wonder which is easier when it comes to maintenance?
Kyosho Store is cheaper than anywhere stateside that I've found.

Service on both is about the same. The K is really straightforward and simple. Period. Classic design and really really fast/easy to service f/r diffs.

The MBX is very similar. The pillow balls require periodic cleaning/tension adjustments, but outside of that it's straightforward.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

k maybe you wear a bit more than the mbx7
are both very high performance!!!