D8t or rc8t ?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default D8t or rc8t ?

I have been looking to purchase a truggy for quite some time now and after considering all the options and stretching my budget as much as I can Ihave narrowed it down to one of these. I definitely want to get a kit an build it myself
I know kyosho mugen serpent maybe be higher end but its not in the budget right now plus I'm just getting into truggys and will probably do more bashing with it at first anyway
If anyone has any good opinions on these two trucks I'd love some feedback on them
Also I'm thinking of this setup
Lrp 28 spec 3
2 hitec 7954
Venom lipo hump
Jp-2 pipe and header

Any other suggestions would be great
Thanks guys
Old 04-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

D8T is definitely the most bang for your buck. You won't be disappointed I promise.

And I wouldnt put a .28 motor in it. Waste of power. .21 is more than you will ever need racing.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Cool

id consider a different pipe also as ive heard the jp line of pipes are gas hogs. a .21 will throw a truggy around really good some of the .21 engines are for truggy like say a werks b5 but its up to you there. good luck and enjoy oh im an ae guy so my .02 is for the rc8t but i have no experience with one but i have the buggy and its been rock solid for me so far
Old 04-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

RC8T is rock solid. WAY more part availability out there too.. (not that you need it, but hey..)
Old 04-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

D8T, since your bashing the .28 is fine
Old 04-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The d8t is a good basher kit if that's all u want to do. But a bad racer kit because to do any real setup you will have to find other brand parts to put on it because HB didn't have squat for it when I had mine. I had kyosho sway bars, losi body mounts. Mugen front drive shaft...see where I'm going with this. The HB steel and plastic wears fast. Creating lots of slop. Its OK for bashing but not so much for racing. I will say when I raced mine it handled great once I had a good setup. But was a pain trying to find different brand parts to make things work.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

i think i'm leaning towards the rc8t more and more
they seem like they are built strong and will have less parts to hop up stock out of the box. plus once i get comfortable with the truck i wouldn't mind taking it to the track. maybe even race it . well...one step at a time i guess...lol

if i do go with a .21 instead which motors and pipes would you guys recommend ?
i'm looking at a $200-$250 price tag only
something that is reliable and easy to tune,holds its tune and has good bottom end (if such an animal exists)
Old 04-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

My eperience with a stock D8T has been nothing but excellent. The only thing I did to mine is heat shrink the cvd's to keep the pin in. All I do is race and it holds up incredible. I don't have any other brand parts on mine either. Bone stock. Been racing hot bodies for 3 years and have no plans of switching any time soon.

O.S. .21 XZ-B V-Spec is around $250 after coupon code on amain. Awesome motor, easy to tune, holds tune and plenty of power. You can never go wrong with an O.S.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For bashing I sure wouldn't spend all that money on that pipe and motor. And that's a little overkill for a throttle servo if your just bashing. If you maybe plan to race it eventually that's a different story. I find 3305 futabas make nice throttle servos in basher trucks, and they're cheap.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For a motor,I would say look at the novarossi P5xlt. I've sold a few and quite a few guys run them around me. Great motor with nut and quality. All for around $200
As for a kit...the d8t and rc8t are both good. Rc8t seems to be way more squirrelly handling,fairly solid built.ive had a d8t for years and the other guy is right the plastic is cheap and it gets sloppy fast,I too put Kyosho sway bars in and Odonnel cvd shafts. Overall handled great,but it's worth what it costs...IMO
Old 04-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by al222 View Post
i think i'm leaning towards the rc8t more and more
they seem like they are built strong and will have less parts to hop up stock out of the box. plus once i get comfortable with the truck i wouldn't mind taking it to the track. maybe even race it . well...one step at a time i guess...lol

if i do go with a .21 instead which motors and pipes would you guys recommend ?
i'm looking at a $200-$250 price tag only
something that is reliable and easy to tune,holds its tune and has good bottom end (if such an animal exists)
d8t is a very solid truck and it what 340 ae 520. for motor you got alpha the lutz or dragon two very good engine there pipes are 2090, 0801. or werks novi stay are from the 28 dont need them but if your bashing and like crazy power get a jp but runtime will suffer. good cheap pipe are dynamite 053 081 they work good too. get what you can afford but if your gonna race do not get jp pipes low gas milage hurt racing. and you netter save some money for tires cause at 80 buck for 4 tires add up quick. so then again d8t was my choice for the price and is strong too. but this is like ford versu chevy. so buy what you like and good luck check out rw modding or rc renew too good engine guy that carry alpha, novis both also very helpfull in finding what you want and after too.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Tech Champion

I'd probably skip the Lutz and Dragon - they're the more expensive Alphas, more for racing only..(that generally means "tamer"..) Unless it just has to be pink ha ha... If you wanted to race they would be great. But for bashing (or racing down the road..), get the A852, or even better the, A352 .23 engine(good combo between .21 fuel efficiency, and more power from more displacement...) Alphas are awesome. The Lutz will just be a tamer version of the A852. A lot of people say the A852 is too much even.

I would get the A352 with an 0801 pipe.... (I have an RC8T, and that's the engine I want and hope to get this year.. Just have too many others at the moment..)

Unfortunately they don't make the Jammin JPX .21 anymore. That was a KILLER engine in an RC8T... But idk, look around. If you find one, match it with an Ofna 086 pipe(cheap for a pipe)...

Werks B5 is worth a look too. Even a B2 - both on a 2013 or 2058. Nova P5. Also, check out the RB Blast V11 at Amain. From what I have heard, it's a rebadge of B10 parts.. - i.e., RB's previously high-dollar top end race engines.. - so the Blast is very good value for money..
Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

.:.

Last edited by Quiet Man; 11-22-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:03 AM
Tech Master

I saw where budget was mentioned. If your on a budget the go with the D8T it IS a proven platform winning several races and like mentioned earlier it is a stable and good platform for both bashing and racing. I have 1 myself and 3 gallons on the chassis I have yet to see any major wear or breakage. adding $$$ to what you get. for what you would pay for a rc8t you could get the D8T and put a little more and get a good .21. like stated a .28 is a waste of power. also the jp line of pipes DO make any motor a major gas hog. you have a few excellent budget engines out there Alpha, Werks, Fusion etc etc. all capable motors for both bashing and even racing once tuned and set-up.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Unfortunately they don't make the Jammin JPX .21 anymore. That was a KILLER engine in an RC8T... But idk, look around. If you find one, match it with an Ofna 086 pipe(cheap for a pipe)...

Werks B5 is worth a look too. Even a B2 - both on a 2013 or 2058. Nova P5. Also, check out the RB Blast V11 at Amain. From what I have heard, it's a rebadge of B10 parts.. - i.e., RB's previously high-dollar top end race engines.. - so the Blast is very good value for money..
uh yes the do...it's called the PICCO boost....LOL had both .21 and .28 and the boost .21 has a little different porting as it had been updated. but the Jammin motors were rebadged PICCO motors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.