New to racing

Old 04-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Default New to racing

This is gong to be my first year racing nitro buggys. Or any thing RC for that matter I have the go fast bug my last race toy was a ZRX 1100 Kaw drag bike that ran [email protected] MPH. So my first question is buggy the right class to get in to for a first time racer? The second being on what I'm going to run for a set up. Mugen MBX6 with a nova p5xlt buku clutch after that, I'm lost. I will be getting a starter box I have a infrared temp gun, I have basic tools. Are there any specifics that I need to get right out of the gate to make this smooth as possible.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Sneakyweasel,
Welcome to the world of Nitro RC racing.
I must warn you first up, this is VERY addictive
I too came from a drag racing background, big block Chevelle running 8.8 @ 156mph
Best advice is to get some help from the guy`s at your local track, most are willing to help a newbee as long as you listen to the advice given.
Don`t be afraid to ask questions, we all went through the same learning curve
Buggy is the premier class, harder to drive than a truggy, but will make you a better driver in the end.
It sounds like you are starting off with some nice gear, get the best servo`s, radio etc. your budget will allow, saves a lot of heart ache later.
Be patient with the run in of the motor.
It takes a little time to learn the art of tuning one of these little monster`s.
Get yourself a set of decent hex drivers and glow igniter.

Most important of all, have fun.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Sneaky,
Here is a good base setup to start with on your Mugen.

MBX6 Base Setup.pdf
Old 04-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you want speed, get a different engine, but the p5 is very smooth power band it is a good engine just not a top end engine is all I am saying. Servos are probably one of the most important part of any build. I have ran many different servos, had a set of HV Hi Tech that did not last a month, will never buy them again but others have ran the same thing with NO problems, I have also ran the cheap HV Savox, and still am running them in my truggy and they work great. I have ran the Ko Pro Po RSX aluminum top and loved them, I have the new Futaba HV servos and I also love them but have not ran them long so I would recommend Savox or Ko Pro Po from MY experience. Remote, I have ran the DSX a it is okay but not great, so I bought a KO Pro Po and don't care for it, it is last years model not the new one. I don't care for it because sometimes when I add a new car (I have 3) or change the settings all of a sudden one of three cars settings will be much slower like the servos are going out, and I have to reset it or set up a new car on the remote to get it acting like it should. My next remote will be the Futaba when either my remote or receiver quits. But if you like speed I would recommend buying a modified engine they will have more top speed, there are a few people here that do that, I personally like Monty from Houstons Engine service as he has helped me out so much even with other peoples products. If I have a problem at a race and I have video I can send it to him and he will make suggestions on what to do, and his customer service is second to none. Also if you are set on your p5 he can modify one for you. As far as starter box I would get the Exceed starter box if you can find one, it is a copy of the hudy but better, I run the XB9 and when I converted it it would NOT fit on the Hudy but it does fit on the Exceed starter box I used for my MBX6R mugen as it has 2 extra mounting slots one on each end. I have not used the OFNA boxes with dual motors but I have used the Losi and hated those boxes, I love how small the hudy and Exceed box are they travel easily and are made strong. Receiver batteries I run what ever they have, I really don't think there is that much of a difference, I have a Venom one and a Turngy or however it is spelled and both work fine, what fuel to run, that is all up to peoples preferences and if/where you can get it. I have heard the best from Byrons and Werks fuel neither of which I can get in Viet Nam which sucks.

I have ran Orion engines, Nvision, Novarossi, Werks, and OS Speed. I have 3 Orions, loved the first, hated the second (cody King) could not get any customer support AT ALL from Orion, the third is a beast with tons of power but with no customer support I will be selling it or practicing with it. I run Novarossi on my Truggy (bonitto) and love it and I finished 3rd in the Nationals in Vietnam with it. I ran the Nvision and placed 3rd in a race with it which amazed everyone because it was such a cheap engine, I also ran the Werks B2 and TQ'ed with it but finished 4th the track got messed up on a few jumps and instead of making them singles I tried to continue making them doubles which was causing lots of crashed, and my OS Speed is still new but I like it so far. However I am switching engines to Fusion and going with the Fusion X3LFM from Houston's Engine service. Again this is just what I have ran, and my preference, not saying you have to do anything I have suggested, just speaking from my experience.

I also have a friend who ran the p5 in a 6R and he is one of the best drivers in Vietnam maybe top 10 in buggy, the 6R is a great car, I loved mine, but for me I like to push a bit harder and for my driving style I love the XB9 I can do things in the XB9 that if I did with the 6R I would end up flipped, but... again that is me, as others have done great, the Vietnam Championship was won by an XB9 second place was a 6R and 3rd was a XB9 this year most of the 6R people are running the 7 and doing great with them. All cars are about equal all engines are also about equal (none are clearly the best) basically everything is about the same when you get into the upper price range, if there were a clear best then wouldn't all the top guys be running the same thing??
Old 04-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sneakyweasl View Post
This is gong to be my first year racing nitro buggys. Or any thing RC for that matter I have the go fast bug my last race toy was a ZRX 1100 Kaw drag bike that ran [email protected] MPH. So my first question is buggy the right class to get in to for a first time racer? The second being on what I'm going to run for a set up. Mugen MBX6 with a nova p5xlt buku clutch after that, I'm lost. I will be getting a starter box I have a infrared temp gun, I have basic tools. Are there any specifics that I need to get right out of the gate to make this smooth as possible.
/

Get the best hex drives you can afford, and the most important.... have fun and enjoy.
welcome!!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I know it's addictive I got sucked in by a buddy who gave me a himoto buggy kit h a t I put a big red .28 on wit a 16 tooth clutch bell it's fast but handles very bad as o I'm going with as r real car this time. I'm not set on the p5 but have heard good things about it with 086 pipe on it. I'm going to the lhs next week with permission to spend a grand if I have to. I love my wife guess she figures this is much cheaper than drag racing..... lol
Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ben1970 View Post
Hi Sneakyweasel,

Best advice is to get some help from the guy`s at your local track, most are willing to help a newbee as long as you listen to the advice given.
Don`t be afraid to ask questions, we all went through the same learning curve

Most important of all, have fun.
all great points

remember, this is a non-controlled forum. You can "advice" from people on here that have never been to a race track...
Old 04-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have run a P5 in my buggy and truggy for 2 years. Never had a problem with speed or power on ANY track. It is the best engine out for the money. If your actually racing, speed will not be a concern on 98% of tracks. If you cant control the car, not matter what engine you have you will not do good. You do not need a modded engine. Coming from Drag to off road RC two different things, you will need to learn to drive.

Tools, I have a set of Arrowmax, Losi, a few Hudy ----- the best tools Ive owned was Dynamite machined hex wrenches. They are also the cheapest tools Ive brought.

My Savox 1268 servos, have been awesome. There are plenty of good brands out there.

I carry alot of stuff with me to each race, you should get to the track see what guys have. You dont need everything I take...

There is ALOT of good information on here. Even at the track, there are guys newer than you that could give not great advice.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah I get that I'm going to have to "Learn to drive". What I'm looking for are specifics like, if you run a 65% front brake bias over a 50% will the car rotate around it"s axis faster in the air, and at the same time will that same 65% help the car dive in to corners and provide more traction for turning? You know basically the answers to every thing.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For Basic tools I recommend just a standard hex set from amain, their about 20$ and the dynamite ones are really good to start off with. You would have to pick metric or standard hexes depending on the car you pick and then buy a small tuning screwdriver. You don't really need a expensive infrared temp gun. Just get the duratrax ones. They work great and haven't failed me yet. The old blue ones aren't on amain anymore, but if your lucky you might find one for less than 10$.