Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Throttle Servo Torque >

Throttle Servo Torque

Throttle Servo Torque

Old 04-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by banana rt View Post
nitro is heavier than electric. for nitro its "a must" to have a big torque, makes brake easily and compensate the weight in turn, so you have a consistent feel.
if you are talking 1/8 scale nitro and electric, that is a false statement...
Old 04-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ozziii View Post
The Savox SC 1258TG is a pretty popular servo & works fine for 1/8 buggy throttle/brake & thats only 166oz-in, speed is .08, something with that torque & speed would be plenty powerful enough for the job.
I've been running that servo on my cars for the last 3 years as a throttle servo. It's now in my mbx6 and it's still working perfectly
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by masher81 View Post
Thank you for all the replys guys.

got_nitro ... I was more concerned with the power to properly stop the car.

I prefer fast servos on all my cars, I am new to nitro though.

Coming from electric I don't think there is a fast enough servo in the world to replicate the throttle response of an electric setup?
This servo right here:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...o-High-Voltage

Stops both my Buggy and Truggy with ease. It's only 98 oz in torque. It can lock up all 4 any time I want/need it to on dirt or concrete.

For the throttle response in a ESC vs. a servo, yes the ESC is "faster" but I can guarantee you will probably not feel any difference using any .5-.6 servo. That one I linked is .032

In the end it all comes down to what you want to pay for.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by got_nitro View Post
This servo right here:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...o-High-Voltage

Stops both my Buggy and Truggy with ease. It's only 98 oz in torque. It can lock up all 4 any time I want/need it to on dirt or concrete.

For the throttle response in a ESC vs. a servo, yes the ESC is "faster" but I can guarantee you will probably not feel any difference using any .5-.6 servo. That one I linked is .032

In the end it all comes down to what you want to pay for.
The listed servo is only 98oz when a Lipo is used. Is the OP using LiPo? Anyway, it's too expensive ($120) for so little torque. I doubt a newcomer would appreciate it's speed.

I would shop around for a Hitec and no need to pay full retail. This Hitec for almost half the price should be plenty.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...hs-5585mh.html
Old 04-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I had that same exact question. I was replacing the throttle / brake servo on my Kyosho TKI3. A poster told me 150+ is totally sufficient. I bought the blue Radio Post servo. On 7.4 lipo its only pumping out 165 oz, but turns 60 degrees in .04 seconds. If I have my brake epa set to 100% its too much braking. I have it dialed back. Bottom line, 165 oz is more than enough for throttle / brake just as the poster told me it was. My friend who races a MBX6R uses the same servo for throttle / brake and he has no issues either. Also, the radio post servo is way smoother (and faster) than the Savox SC 1268SG I replaced which I suspect is due to a higher bit rate.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The Savox SC 1258TG is a pretty popular servo & works fine for 1/8 buggy throttle/brake & thats only 166oz-in, speed is .08, something with that torque & speed would be plenty powerful enough for the job.

That is one of the servos that I have and was going to try out for the throttle/brake.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
The listed servo is only 98oz when a Lipo is used. Is the OP using LiPo? Anyway, it's too expensive ($120) for so little torque. I doubt a newcomer would appreciate it's speed.

I would shop around for a Hitec and no need to pay full retail. This Hitec for almost half the price should be plenty.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...hs-5585mh.html

Yes I will be using Lipo.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

160+ oz of torque is enough, but, this is how I see it and was told by a hitec rep. Always get the most amount of torque you can. I run 300+ on all my 1/8 vehicles. In theory, if it takes 160 to run the gas and brake then that's fine. But you will be using ALL that servo has to offer every time you hit the gas and brake, where as if you use the 300oz servo you will only be using a little over half of its capability. Therefore you can turn your EPA down to desired effect and your servo will last much longer than the one that is being tapped out every time you turn it on. Let's face it, servos are not cheap so the fewer I have to buy the better. Take this for what it's worth as it is only my opinion and I'm sure others have had great success with lesser servos. Good luck in your decision and glad to hear of another racer joining the nitro scene.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Anyone using a Hitec 965MG for throttle/brake?
Old 09-24-2014, 02:26 AM
Tech Master

Thats what Ive been useing. works fine 4 me .
Old 09-24-2014, 03:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks I think that's what I'm getting...
Old 09-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I always subscribed to the idea of more power on the steering than on the throttle/brake. Then I seen a few pictures of some of the cars at the world's race right now and they had the power servo on the brake and the speed servo on the steering. Ronnenfalk for example runs ko propo and is set up that way.
So idk.. go with whatever makes you feel comfortable I guess lol.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Tech Initiate

I run the Hitec 7955 for both throttle and steering. Bullet Proof setup.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

The Specs on that hitec listed above look perfect for what you are after and $$ is good too
Old 09-24-2014, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ark champ View Post
160+ oz of torque is enough, but, this is how I see it and was told by a hitec rep. Always get the most amount of torque you can. I run 300+ on all my 1/8 vehicles. In theory, if it takes 160 to run the gas and brake then that's fine. But you will be using ALL that servo has to offer every time you hit the gas and brake, where as if you use the 300oz servo you will only be using a little over half of its capability. Therefore you can turn your EPA down to desired effect and your servo will last much longer than the one that is being tapped out every time you turn it on. Let's face it, servos are not cheap so the fewer I have to buy the better. Take this for what it's worth as it is only my opinion and I'm sure others have had great success with lesser servos. Good luck in your decision and glad to hear of another racer joining the nitro scene.
EPA simply limits the end point of the sweep for a servo. I'm not understanding what the "desired effect" would be there. Perhaps you meant Expo(nential)? That determines how quickly the servo moves from neutral.

The Hitec 7955 is a solid setup and if you run the same servo for both applications, you'd only need to carry a single backup (not that you really need them running Hitec). I run 7940s on throttle; they are snappy, quite strong, and exceptionally reliable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.