Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Xray XB9 2013 OR Losi 8ight 3.0 >

Xray XB9 2013 OR Losi 8ight 3.0

Xray XB9 2013 OR Losi 8ight 3.0

Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Xray XB9 2013 OR Losi 8ight 3.0

I am on my way to change car because xray 808 is toooo old and it's time to relax after some years.I don't know which is better,xray xb9 or losi 8ight 3.0?I drove losi 8ight 2.0(american edition)last summer in European track without lot of jumps and it was very difficult car,i really i pussed my self as a driver to do the impossible,possible.I haven't drive XB9 yet but i have heard that is very easy car.That's why i am asking opinions.
So please post!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Both are great cars. The Xray is very consistent from track to track, only needing small changes or none at all to get it dialed in. The Losi does require a bit more tuning to get it working right if you go from track to track. The Losi is very aggressive and rewards an experienced driver. The Xray has enough adjustability in it to suit almost any style (aggressive, smooth, sportsman, expert, etc.)

The biggest thing will be quality. You are already familiar with Xray quality as you have an 808. You will be taking a big step back in build quality and long-term durability when going with the Losi.

Otherwise, both cars are completely competitive in the current 1/8 buggy market.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

I chose the Xray. I've had trouble lately tuning Losi's.

The cornering "feel" to the Losi has less room for adjustment and still have the car in it's sweet spot. But the Losi works really well. Just that it seems the tips I/we get from the faster Losi racers limit some of the other settings i like to use.

But on the Xray I can get it to do the same thing and still run more droop If I want for example. The car seems more adjustable.

The Xray seems a hair more stable, but the Losi has the edge in rotation. Allthough the Xray can be dialed in just as well, I've seen a few Losi's that were unreal in tight sections.

The Xray shocks feel better and are easier to tune for me. You'll need 3 stripe springs and +1mm, +2mm hubs.

Obviously the Xray will last longer. My tools wear twice as fast as my plastic.

You should also look at the Serpent kits before deciding.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

After watching Anthony Mazzara yesterday lap the field with the 8ight 3.0 I would go with the 3.0. car looks alot easier to drive but i find the 2.0 is very easy to drive now but thats me. like the post before both cars are very good you cant go wrong with either car. Xray is better quality as far as fit and finish, i have seen the xrays around here and I was not impressed by it.
my opinion with driving 5 different cars go with the 3.0.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I wouldn't consider dropping cash on a kit because a pro runs it. Remember they get paid to run that brand and get their parts for free. They also have mad skills and could lap you with a t-maxx.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Since the only people to drive the 3.0 yet are the pros, there is not much else to base opinion off of. The car will be released in a few days and then you can get opinions from regular drivers.

Everyone that I know that has switched from X-Ray to another brand has said that the car was hard to drive fast, and that it didn't corner as aggressively as the MBX7 or the Losi 2.0. It is reliable, but to be honest, so is the Losi. My 2.0 has close to 15 track gallons on it and I am still on my original arms. The pros that I have spoken with here in Italy all say that the 3.0 is a lot easier to drive fast than the 2.0 was. The 2.0 constantly feels on edge.

You can't really go wrong with either kit. Any one who tries to tell you that one car is significantly better than any other is motivated by something other than the truth.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

looking at the quality and wear xray> losi

I'd choose the XB9
Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

With losi you can drive it wild and need to tame the car down. But once u dialled with it, its such an amazing car. Xray materials known as the best, theyre using hudy on it, but the price too high imo
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I just built a 2013 and the fit and finish was perfect. I found it a little loose for my liking. I changed a swaybar and moved a link and it corrected very quickly. I have driven most kits and I think the x ray will be a solid car. Time will tell. I have seen a recent losi not a 3.0 but new kit where the bolts were backing out after running it hard. The x ray held together and took every but of punishment. After a hard race day it was still very tight. I vote x ray but just my opinion
Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I vote xb9 also!! High quality, I'll take made in Europe vs made in china any day, and I'm half Chinese!!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Excually,i don't know what to choose.I am wanting a guy here to buy 3.0 who is running with 2.0 and he needs the 3.0 to tell which one will be better for me.But still i don't know what to choose.It's very hard decision.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

It's easy to with 1 and then later you can try the other. X-ray and losi are somewhat similar anyway.