Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
moving up to 1/8 scale buggy >

moving up to 1/8 scale buggy

moving up to 1/8 scale buggy

Old 03-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Default moving up to 1/8 scale buggy

Hi guys,

As the title says, I would like to get an 1/8 buggy. I've been looking at hpi's trophy 3.5 and the d8s. Would the trophy 3.5 be competetive out of the box?

Any other ideas would be appreciated too. It needs to be an rtr and under 500. The season starts soon so I'm going to have to decide quickly and don't want to make a bad one.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Truth is, and there are 655,000,231 threads on this.... if you want to actually race, PLS dont get a RTR! you will be doing yourself and your wallet a disfavor in the near future.

Racing, especially since you want to be "competitive" or a car to be competitive, a RTR will only set you back. first, most engines are hard to tune in RTR kits, and are trouble some, especially pullstarts. Do yourself a favor and buy a kit, a decent engine in the 200 range, and some servos.

I know your budget is 500 right now, but lets say you go spend 500 on a RTR. within a few weeks your servos will either fail or you will realize that they are far too slow and weak for an 1/8 buggy. There goes at least 70 per servo for you to upgrade to something half decent (and even then, a GOOD 1.8th servo is 80-90 and up).

Then the engine will soon give you enough headaches that you will begine browsing for a real racing engine. Werks is best for the money, in my opinion, next is the Nova P5, which can be gotten for little over 200 and is one hell of an engine.

I would suggest you take those 500 and first, buy a used kit on here for about 200-250. Then spend 200 on an engine. Then go ahead and get yourself some decent servos, then accesories like starterbox, glow igniter, tools, fuels, lipo battery, etc etc.... You will have surpassed your 500 mark, but I guarantee you that you will thank yourself down the road.

Why can I guarantee it? because I once went the "RTR" way to get started in racing, and looking back, i dont know how much money I threw away trying to upgrade later to a decent racing setup.

most people here will tell you the same thing.

Now if you absobtely have to have a RTR, the JQ RTR is the way to go. best RTR out there, hands down to get started. it's probably within your price range as well. I will be selling my Agama A8 EVO roller later this week, shoot me a pm if you're interested and we'll talk. Good luck man!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Thank you. You have made some really good points.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by skeasor View Post
Thank you. You have made some really good points.
its just one of those common things that we see at the track all the time. guys show up with a RTR, often dont finish races because of equipment failure, always seems to have an engine that is out of tune, etc etc.

In this hobby, if you want to actually race, you will easily whip out a grand before you know it. Ask around your local track too, see what people are running, if anyone has a good deal on a used setup to get your started. That will be much cheaper and more rewarding.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitrokiller123 View Post
its just one of those common things that we see at the track all the time. guys show up with a RTR, often dont finish races because of equipment failure, always seems to have an engine that is out of tune, etc etc.

In this hobby, if you want to actually race, you will easily whip out a grand before you know it. Ask around your local track too, see what people are running, if anyone has a good deal on a used setup to get your started. That will be much cheaper and more rewarding.
Oh trust me, I know. I ended up doing the same with with my ae b4.1. I bought the rtr in a pinch and spent the money slowly to upgrade. It ended up costing a lot of money. However, if I'm going to buy a kit, its going to take more time than what I want.

I checked out JQ, and would gladly buy his rtr.

Also, this isn't my first nitro...i have an old AE gt that still runs like a champ
Old 03-31-2013, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by skeasor View Post
Oh trust me, I know. I ended up doing the same with with my ae b4.1. I bought the rtr in a pinch and spent the money slowly to upgrade. It ended up costing a lot of money. However, if I'm going to buy a kit, its going to take more time than what I want.

I checked out JQ, and would gladly buy his rtr.

Also, this isn't my first nitro...i have an old AE gt that still runs like a champ
Oh ok, I didn't know if you had any background, so I just assumed newbie level. hey, if you can deal with the RTR's and make it work for you, by all means, go for it!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Oh ok, I didn't know if you had any background, so I just assumed newbie level. hey, if you can deal with the RTR's and make it work for you, by all means, go for it!
Thanks... Definitely no newbie to rc. In fact, I got started with rc airplanes many years ago and still fly a lot but enjoy the ease of cars. So here's what I ordered...jq thecar.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Bring money..lots of it.
All kidding aside get a decent ride and stick with it. Don't get caught up in all the hype of buying this or that.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

Good choice. JQ has many videos on breaking in the engine, tuning, car setups, etc. Heres a link to the channel, enjoy!

14 minute video, quite detailed and very helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UrtP8eyNP4
Old 03-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Good choice. JQ has many videos on breaking in the engine, tuning, car setups, etc. Heres a link to the channel, enjoy!

14 minute video, quite detailed and very helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UrtP8eyNP4
Thanks. I feel real confident in this rtr. I went thru all of his videos before ordering it and feel like its a good bang for the buck. Plus, it also feels like I'm helping out a decent guy. Can't wait for it to come in! I will repost once I get her dialed in.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

You should be pretty happy with the JQ rtr, its pretty tuff & the Alpha engine goes pretty well to. Easy to upgrade the engine with other Alpha engine parts like the turbo head button to, & virtually all pro kit parts will bolt right up.
Customer service from JQ is second to none so you can be sure there will be plenty of support & help. Enjoy your car.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:52 PM
Tech Regular

I can second the JQ RTR, it should be pretty competitive out of the box at the club level. All items on it are easily upgraded and with many of the parts, don't even have to be unless broken and needing replacement.

The common replacement items would be as follows:

Servos
Engine (In the case of the JQ, non-pullstart back plate and starter box, then engine later down the line)
Shocks
Chassis
And any of the RTR level Aluminum parts as they become needed....

The JQ is Ready to Race... not just a Ready to Run
Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Tech Adept

I had a d8s first thing to buy are all 4 suspension blocks or piviot playes all are plastic engine is trash steering servo good but will strip immediately tires trash so I would not get a d8s I sold it because it was annoying me if you want a rtr get a jq the car 400 with avix servos and an alpha engine and I hear its very strong that's a rtr I would get if you don't have the bank for a kit