Loyalty

Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default Loyalty

Intro

I am about to purchase my first 1/8 nitro buggy kit. I am considering Mugen, LOSI, Sworkz, or XRAY based upon the research so far. I've built a couple of 4WD Toyota Tacoma's. I really get a lot of satisfaction out of knowing that is my truck and I love it when people stop to ask me about it in parking lots and gas stations. I figure I have put about 50K in the truck I have so far as parts go and and half that again in repairs. Which leads me into why I am getting into RC nitro buggys. Bashing my truck is expensive, just a replacing a cv joint and bearings costs about $400 and that happens most times I go muddin. Plus when my truck doesn't run right the rest of my life isn't right. I get in a really foul mood when that happens.

Question

I consider a buggy purchase to be a serious investment of money and time. I intend to keep it, to maintain it, repair it, and upgrade parts as necessary for as long as it is practical, hopefully 5 years or more. I will not be buying a new buggy every year or two just because it is this years model.

One of the requirements of whatever brand I buy is parts support. Which brands continue to supply parts long after the model is discontinued. For example, LOSI is coming out with the 8ight 3.0 this spring. Will parts still be readily available for the 8ight 2.0 in 2018 or am I going to have to resort to buying old chassis to cannibalize parts if I still want to drive the 8ight 2.0 5 years from now.

Which brands have the largest aftermarket support base from Hop-Up parts manufacturers. Lastly, which brand seems most loyal to their customer base. I want a manufacturer that says look how much we appreciate your continued business.

Other important considerations are durability, reliability, and thoughtful design. Performance will not be an issue. I will tune the chassis as necessary and I won't be racing competitively anyway.