R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Looking to start racing (Need help) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/716382-looking-start-racing-need-help.html)

jobronie 03-25-2013 09:23 AM

Looking to start racing (Need help)

I have bashed around with a 1/8 nitro buggy for years and have decided I would like to race some. Problem is I am not sure exactly what I need. I am looking for suggestions on what to buy. I am looking for good quality, but not break the bank.

I am looking for suggestion on car, motor, etc., down to batteries and chargers.

I appreciate any information.

bevofrancis 03-25-2013 09:36 AM

I sent you a PM.

token 03-25-2013 10:28 AM

My suggestion (not private) get a used Losi 2.0. To be honest, if your racing, there is no "cheap" way to do it.

The Losi should be supported by 98% of the hobby shops around and I expect to still see hundreds driving this car this summer.

Losi 8ight 2.0
Novarossi P5
Savox Servos

This is my suggestion. This setup has worked for me for about 2 seasons now. No failure, no issues tuning.

You will hear this and that on whats better and bla bla. Your chassis is the most important piece to look at. Everyone will tell you to buy every car under the sun, but they will not be there at the track when you need help.

just sayin

Alexnailey692 03-26-2013 07:23 PM

mugen mbx6r or 7 much faster and one of the most durable Buggys out there
Ofna jl.21 or jammin jpx.21 hundreds of dollars cheaper same power but less mileage
Savox servos great very cheap very strong very powerful but power hungry

meis 03-27-2013 03:12 AM

Why not race what you have? What platform do you use currently?

My suggestion is go to the nearest track and take a look around. See what people are running and what the shop supports. This way, you will have parts available immediately at the track.

jeromerc 03-27-2013 06:08 AM

What do they sell at the local hobby shop? All the buggies are very close even though most don't or won't want to admit it. I have ran OFNA, Losi, Mugen Mbx6, Xray Xb9 2012 and 2013. I loved my losi when I first got it, and I love the fact that I changed to Xray. I feel the Xray is very similar to the Losi it is an aggressive car like t he Losi, for me I push the Mugen to hard and it can't take it, but again this is MY style you might be different. The Mugen was more stable on the slow parts and it was very good in the air. The only one I haven't really liked was the OFNA it wasn't very good quality, but I did get the lower end model.

Servos, I have ran Hi Tech, Savox, Ko Pro Po, and the new Futaba H. I hated the Hi Tech, they didn't last 1 month, the Savox are the cheapest HV ones and they are still running great and are in my Losi Truggy. I have the Ko Pro Po in my Mugen and have never had a problem, and the Futaba are in my Xb9 and flawless as well. I would say get High Voltage.

Engine, I have ran Orion, Novarossi, Werks, Nvision, Alpha and OS. Novarossi are good engines, the Werks was the B2, great engine NO complaints, the Nvision also a cheap engine NO complaints (not the best fuel mileage but decent) Orion tons of complaints on the Cody King edition but none on the new 5 port or the old 7 port, OS still new and no complaints. I will be changing this season to a new mill looking at Fusion engines, novarossi quality and great performance, have only seen 1 complaint on the engines, and it sounded like operator error (didn't adjust the needles after a bench brake in.) With the engine, my Cody King Orion I could not get ANY customer support so I will NEVER buy another Orion, Werks great support, Novarossi great support, OS not sure but no problems out of the engine, same with Nvision. Again all engines are pretty close if there was one that was truly better then wouldn't everyone run it??

Charger, have no clue man, I run what they have they are both China or other Asian made chargers, both work well, batteries look at Reedy, Venom or any other brand, I don't think there is that much of a difference.

Remote, I run the older Ko Pro Po, good remote but sometimes it will mess up and my car will be all screwed up and I have to do a reset on it. Next will be the Futaba for me to try, most people in Vietnam run Futaba, Ko Pro Po or Sanawa and they don't seem to like the new Ko Pro Po they say it is too top heavy and not balanced

Starter box, I like the Hudy and Exceed, didn't like the Losi boxes I tried, but never tried OFNA ones.

Again, check your hobby shop see what they sell and support, this should be where you start, I have given you my experience and likes, but each person is different, just go where you can get support that is the most important thing trust me I know since I live in Vietnam if they don't support it I have to wait up to a month or longer for parts to clear customs, and it isn't fun

Frank L 03-27-2013 06:45 AM

Losi, HB, Mugen, AE, X Ray. Stick with one of the larger brands and you will be fine. If you are ordering online then it doesn't matter what brand. If you want to stay local then you need to check with your local hobby store for what they carry. I don't have a local hobby store so I order everything online. Whatever kit you do buy, I would buy a second for spare parts and then replace the parts in the kit as you use them. That's the cheapest way to make sure you have everything when something breaks.

Servos - I have ran savox and they give you the best bang for your buck.

Radio - KO, airtronics, or futaba. Personally I don't care for the spectrum stuff (once you use one of the other radios listed you know why)

Charger - any little charger will do if you are only going to charge for nitro

Glo- stick with a nimh or no ad one, racers edge, Mugen, hotshot

Starter box - buy it 1x, the ofna blue truggy box with a 4s lipo

Rx battery - depends on the car but yeah racing makes a very economical pack for both styles. (Red Rock Hobbies)

Engine - OS, Nova, Werks any of these will do great. Make sure you also purchase the proper pipe for whichever engine you choose.

The list will go deep and its easy to spend 2k. Send James at redrock hobbies an email he can save you a few bucks. [email protected]

pitboss 03-27-2013 07:38 AM

As many of said, there is no cheap way to get started. Trust me I am in the same boat. Find what has a lot of support local and then work from there. The most important part is just start racing and worrying about the skills you need and not the gear you have. Once you get the driving part down then you start worrying about the others. Thats just my $.02.

jobronie 03-27-2013 09:32 AM

Thanks for everyone's reply.

Unfortunately most of the local shops don't have a big volume of stock items, they mainly order and are more into airplanes.

I currently have the Thunder Tiger S4 and it seems to break down everytime I drive it, so that is why I want to 'upgrade' to get started. I want to practice and enjoy it, not always put a car back together.

I understand things are not cheap, which is why I am asking for suggestions so I don't waste money.

Again thanks I really appreciate the insight.

george919 03-27-2013 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by jobronie (Post 11979114)
Thanks for everyone's reply.

Unfortunately most of the local shops don't have a big volume of stock items, they mainly order and are more into airplanes.

I currently have the Thunder Tiger S4 and it seems to break down everytime I drive it, so that is why I want to 'upgrade' to get started. I want to practice and enjoy it, not always put a car back together

I understand things are not cheap, which is why I am asking for suggestions so I don't waste money.

Again thanks I really appreciate the insight.

Maybe start out with something used but in good condition. They usually cone with spares as well. There are many people who sells nitro buggies for a very cheap price on rctech. You can also buy used motors but make sure they're in good condition. Dont buy used tires.

Stanfsu 03-27-2013 12:38 PM

++++1

Originally Posted by meis (Post 11978087)
Why not race what you have? What platform do you use currently?

My suggestion is go to the nearest track and take a look around. See what people are running and what the shop supports. This way, you will have parts available immediately at the track.

sschultz 03-27-2013 03:33 PM

What is your budget?

mdchris 03-27-2013 05:28 PM

I agree the losi 8ight 2.0 would be a good and are available cheap. Mugen MBX6R would also be good. New models were just released from each brand so tons of guys selling their current model cheap and they are still both great cars.

P5 is a great choice for the price.

For servos get whatever you can afford that has more than 150oz/in of torque. The Savox are great for the money. I personally run hitec.

Pick up a cheap used spektrum transmitter, DXS2 or something, should be able to get one for $40-$50 with a receiver. You don't need a $400 transmitter right off the bat.

Ofna blue starter box.

I use an iCharger 106b charger and it's been excellent for me. If you are on a real budget you can get an accucel6 from hobbyking. I use both, the icharger is FAR better but the accucel6 is better than nothing.

Depending on your track, get yourself a folding 3x6' ish size table to bring with you unless there are tables available.

A car battery or boost box that you can run your charger with at the track unless they provide power for you from a generator or something.

jobronie 03-28-2013 01:39 PM

$1500 - $2000

I haven't seen any mention of Associated. I am assuming these are off limits compared to the others?

george919 03-28-2013 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by jobronie (Post 11983953)
$1500 - $2000

I haven't seen any mention of Associated. I am assuming these are off limits compared to the others?

If you've seen the aftermarket parts the associated drivers run. Its not even associated anymore. They use parts from kyosho and many other parts. I own the rc8 and it does nit turn at all! Buy a mugen losi durango hotbodies or kyosho but not associated.

Servos you can try radiopost. Magnificent servos with titanium hybrid technology and lipo capable

Motor run os motors or novarossi best motors you can buy for a very reasonable price.