Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TLR 8 3.0 BUILD WITH PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The new 15 deg plastic non inclined caster blocks and spindles are redisigned to maximize steering throw with more clearance for the wheel

First and foremost, Thanks for the highly detailed post for the build, It was very thorough and clear.

But, I had a question about the caster blocks. So no more inclined blocks for the 3.0? I felt they toned down the steering entry whilst giving more exit speed. I'm pretty sure the 2.0's stock blocks had a total of 20 degrees of castor and the new 3.0 now has 15 degrees? Does the chassis have more kick up than stock?

Thanks, Jim
Old 03-31-2013, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

The old blocks were either 10 degree or 12 degree depending on the particular model of car. These are 15 which will give it an additional 3 or 5 degrees over the old cars

At least I think that is correct.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vision450F
The new 15 deg plastic non inclined caster blocks and spindles are redisigned to maximize steering throw with more clearance for the wheel

First and foremost, Thanks for the highly detailed post for the build, It was very thorough and clear.

But, I had a question about the caster blocks. So no more inclined blocks for the 3.0? I felt they toned down the steering entry whilst giving more exit speed. I'm pretty sure the 2.0's stock blocks had a total of 20 degrees of castor and the new 3.0 now has 15 degrees? Does the chassis have more kick up than stock?

Thanks, Jim
Originally Posted by Matthew Bailey
The old blocks were either 10 degree or 12 degree depending on the particular model of car. These are 15 which will give it an additional 3 or 5 degrees over the old cars

At least I think that is correct.
No problem Jim

And yes Matt you are correct
Old 04-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

So I assume you have had a chance to run the car a few times. I am curious how the new hubs affected the handling. I have always felt that 12 degree hubs left the car feeling twitchy. I drove the JQ which has 15 or 16 degree hubs and it turned smoother. Did the new hubs have this same type of effect?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does the 3.0 come with metric or imperial screws/nuts
Old 04-02-2013, 03:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Imperial
Old 04-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So I assume you have had a chance to run the car a few times. I am curious how the new hubs affected the handling. I have always felt that 12 degree hubs left the car feeling twitchy. I drove the JQ which has 15 or 16 degree hubs and it turned smoother. Did the new hubs have this same type of effect?
Yes so far so good. I have been playing with set up and am really happy with the direction I am going with it. The 12's were definitely smoother than the stock 10's. The 15* with the increased kick up is pretty smooth off center and has good mid and exit steering.
Originally Posted by voodoopapa
Does the 3.0 come with metric or imperial screws/nuts
Imperial
Yep
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CaseyP
I think you are thinking about the heavy duty diff cases with the metal inserts LOSB3528This kit does with the updated LOSA3500 diff case.
wonder if the 3528 with the metal inserts would be better used for the front diff because i can see it giving less diffing action compared to the 3500 diff cups for the rear. i would imagine that the metal inserts would give the gears a bit more controlled friction...hence, less diffing action and more pull out of the turns..........what do you think...??
Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by alexrckid
wonder if the 3528 with the metal inserts would be better used for the front diff because i can see it giving less diffing action compared to the 3500 diff cups for the rear. i would imagine that the metal inserts would give the gears a bit more controlled friction...hence, less diffing action and more pull out of the turns..........what do you think...??
You could also just run a thicker oil.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

You could also just run a thicker oil.
true...as standard practice.........but, in combination would be an experiment. betcha the results would be good.....
Old 04-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by alexrckid
true...as standard practice.........but, in combination would be an experiment. betcha the results would be good.....
Only problem I can see is that it won't be consistent. The more you run the diffs, the smoother they get. It would be hard to keep them consistent with this method. Just using oil means all you have to do is replace the oil to return it to the diff action you want. Unless you really just want to run the old cases to get rid of some extra parts, there is probably no real good reason to do this. Plus I am pretty sure the old cases with steel inserts weigh more so you are increasing rotating mass.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Get DE Diff inserts then the diff weight is negligible. Ive been running mine for quite some time now and haven't noticed a lick of play.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Integra
Get DE Diff inserts then the diff weight is negligible. Ive been running mine for quite some time now and haven't noticed a lick of play.
Why bother with them at all? I have run my stock diffs for over a year with no problem. Are they for truggy?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

+1 stock diffs lighter and haven't failed me in the last year and a half!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Team Tekin

I know this is the nitro section....But I can't wait to convert one to E!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.