Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
1/8th Offroad Driver Numbers >

1/8th Offroad Driver Numbers

1/8th Offroad Driver Numbers

Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default 1/8th Offroad Driver Numbers

There seems to be a steady decline in 1/8th Offroad driver numbers in Aust with the GFC and the fact it is a 1/10th Worlds year getting the blame.

How is it in the US and Europe, are the numbers stable or in decline.

700 entries at the DNC seem to be a good number but how is it really out there?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Decline in US from what ive observed at tracks(or even tracks that are no more)
Old 03-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great question. I've seen numbers go down, but recently picking up ever so slightly. Maybe I'm meeting more people. 6 race series in the Midwest last summer brought 150-180 each event. I've only been doing this for a little over a year though. I have seen 1 track close, but there seemed to be more going on than just low turnout. I went to another track for practice 1 hr from Chicago tonight that only had 3 or 4 1/8th e buggies. We could only run for 5 min at a time waiting 15-20 between. Not super awesome..
Old 03-08-2013, 01:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am just getting started, but I have heard of declines. I thinkmit is the state of the industry as a whole.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

So many other classes out there that can be run for so much cheaper is killing 1/8th.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

In Michigan we are starting to finally see an incline after years of declining numbers. As an organizer of the Michigan State Championship Series, we are expecting that the numbers for the Nitro Buggy class will be bigger this year than they were last year. I expect the truggy numbers to be about the same as last year though.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

My local track has actually seen an incline in 8th scale buggies. We don't have a truggy class so it helps as people move up from electric classes
Old 03-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

I think there are as many people as ever racing, but there are just more classes, so everything is fractured. Lower numbers per class maybe..

I didn't get to race last year, but hope to this year. I'm a bit wary though, since they have started to mix in not only electric buggy and truggy, but 1/10 SC as well, all in one race weekend. I did go to one race last year(but had to give up with a blown disc in my back after one qualifier..), and my impression was kind of negative. Plenty of buggy and truggy people as usual, but more down time waiting for the small SC and electric classes to do their thing(most of these guys were running one of the nitro classes). I really think electric should just be kept completely separate. Two classes - buggy and truggy - is enough for one race weekend.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
Great question. I've seen numbers go down, but recently picking up ever so slightly. Maybe I'm meeting more people. 6 race series in the Midwest last summer brought 150-180 each event. I've only been doing this for a little over a year though. I have seen 1 track close, but there seemed to be more going on than just low turnout. I went to another track for practice 1 hr from Chicago tonight that only had 3 or 4 1/8th e buggies. We could only run for 5 min at a time waiting 15-20 between. Not super awesome..
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
I think there are as many people as ever racing, but there are just more classes, so everything is fractured. Lower numbers per class maybe..

I didn't get to race last year, but hope to this year. I'm a bit wary though, since they have started to mix in not only electric buggy and truggy, but 1/10 SC as well, all in one race weekend. I did go to one race last year(but had to give up with a blown disc in my back after one qualifier..), and my impression was kind of negative. Plenty of buggy and truggy people as usual, but more down time waiting for the small SC and electric classes to do their thing(most of these guys were running one of the nitro classes). I really think electric should just be kept completely separate. Two classes - buggy and truggy - is enough for one race weekend.
For me, with all the electric classes and heats and them wanting the same run time for their money and will only run 10 min. heats max......just makes to long of a race day for the little amount of time we get to race. And it sucks!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Yes it seems to be happening here too, with less numbers our local club is looking at more classes.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

A lot of people are coming back to nitro in our local area.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM
psr
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by smelly62 View Post
Yes it seems to be happening here too, with less numbers our local club is looking at more classes.
steve I recko0ns its because of the non worlds year be a good year to catch up
Old 03-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

One problem for nitro drivers is the attitude of the whiney flashlight drivers.

Electric complaints -

Our qualifiers and mains are short and theirs are long, we donít want to marshal them.
The sound hurts my ears and the fumes bother me.
The 1/8 scale buggys are too fast and dangerous, l donít want to marshal them(from the 1/10 scale electrics).
We want all qualifiers and mains to be the same length.

Iím not going to drive for 1 Ĺ+ hours and put in a 10 day, just to run two 5 minute qualifiers and a 7 minute main. Scratch this track from my list.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
I think there are as many people as ever racing, but there are just more classes, so everything is fractured. Lower numbers per class maybe.
I agree, 2010 to early 2012, short course was all the rage (still kinda popular), through 2012 till now all the rage is 1/10th electric buggy. 1/8 nitro is still out there and will never diminish.... a lot more exciting than any of the other classes out there and is akin to more real-scale racing being that there's smoke, noise, etc which I love (but that's my opinion).

In my opinion its more to do with what the 'flavour of the month' is more than anything, costs for each class of racing can always stack up. Currently, its 1/10 electric. Bound to change again at some point in the future - maybe the next big thing will be those SC-style buggies (HPI Apache, Axial EXO etc)...who knows.

My 2c
Old 03-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
One problem for nitro drivers is the attitude of the whiney flashlight drivers.

Electric complaints -

Our qualifiers and mains are short and theirs are long, we donít want to marshal them.
The sound hurts my ears and the fumes bother me.
The 1/8 scale buggys are too fast and dangerous, l donít want to marshal them(from the 1/10 scale electrics).
We want all qualifiers and mains to be the same length.

Iím not going to drive for 1 Ĺ+ hours and put in a 10 day, just to run two 5 minute qualifiers and a 7 minute main. Scratch this track from my list.

Yes...we had a big fight about the e-classes at our track and the guy "pushing" and kissing butt of the e-classes...because he could never tune a motor. look in the racing forum for xrc raceway

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service