Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
SCT, Buggy, or Truggy? >

SCT, Buggy, or Truggy?

SCT, Buggy, or Truggy?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default SCT, Buggy, or Truggy?

Getting back into this sport and was just wanting some advise. I used to have a Revo that I decked out to run in a Truggy Class, I dont have the Revo anymore and was wonder what style I should try next? I know every class has its advantages and disadvantages just wanted some words of wisdom before I go and blow a wad of money and not like what I have!!

Thanks!!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LoRidin4WD View Post
Getting back into this sport and was just wanting some advise. I used to have a Revo that I decked out to run in a Truggy Class, I dont have the Revo anymore and was wonder what style I should try next? I know every class has its advantages and disadvantages just wanted some words of wisdom before I go and blow a wad of money and not like what I have!!

Thanks!!
What do you want...Nitro or Elec? I'm assuming Nitro because you posted in this section right?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro or Electric

I havent made up my mind on that either. Would like to have one of both! Just trying to get all the info before I make a decision.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LoRidin4WD View Post

Thanks!!
Well I can tell you, from having raced all 3......

The truggy will feel most familiar to you coming from a Revo, I had a fully race prepped Revo and sold it and got a Losi 8T. The truggy will be the easiest to drive out of the 3 but won't teach you a whole lot about setup or how too drive due to the fact they pretty much go through anything and forgive your driving indiscretions quite well. They are not too sensitive to setup changes and normally you have to make a fairly large change to the truck to make it undriveable. Tires will normally last you a long time unless you have a stupid powerfull engine and/or decide the throttle is actually a light switch (on or off!!!) You can overdrive a truggy but it's harder to figure that out for most drivers due to most figuring on just "gripping it and ripping it"

Good example of the right way to drive...
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

A buggy is harder to drive than a truggy and will eat you alive in the cost of tires if you can't control your throttle finger. they are sensitive to setup changes and what seems to be a minor change to you, like say a 2 mm ride height change up front can have a profound effect on the handling balance. A buggy can really teach you how to drive due to it's unforgiving nature when it comes to ham fisted drivers. A good friend of mine on the Mugen team summed it up very well when he told me "the fast way to drive an 8th scale buggy isn't necessarily the fun way" You will find that if you drive at 80% of what your capable of you will beat a lot more people than if you tried to push yourself to 100%

Example......Use the brakes to get into corners correctly and be smooth on the throttle through the corner and corner exit.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

A 2wd SCT is by far the most difficult car to drive due to being relativity light and only 2 wheel drive. Couple that with the high powered brushless motors and high C batteries and they can be a serious handful to just hang on to but they will teach you how to be smooth and consistent. They are the most harsh critics when it come to a careless throttle finger and are very sensitive to setup changes. Iv'e added a .5 mm shim to the front bulkhead of my SCR and saw a dramatic change to the front grip level. If you want to be good at off road racing learn to drive and setup a 2wd SCT. If you can do that then driving and setting up the other 2 will be a cake walk.

Example of being smooth and not overdriving the truck or track.....
+ YouTube Video
Old 02-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Good Stuff

Thanks Slider for the info!!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Truggys are very fun. Buggys take more skill and concentration and sct's are just evil. Just my opinion...