Search
Like Tree3Likes

Team Losi Racing 8ight 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Vinny Cancilla;12451722]
Originally Posted by Integra
Fuel tubing Binds unless you get real Thin Walled Tubing then it tear's far too easily to be effective.[/

What do you suggest?
In the past I have used heat shrink, might need a few layers depending on how worn the caps/bushings are.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Vinny Cancilla
Are u guys finding that there's a lot of play between the shock cap and standoff bushing? It seems to me, its the shock cap thats developing the slop and not so much the bushing. Is there a fix, other than replacing the shock caps. My rears are really bad, so I'm going to try fuel tubing as a bushing.
I just shimmed out some of the axial play. It seems to help little with the wear, because when the engine is running shocks are not rocking back and forth. I used a plastic washer. Make sure shocks move freely after shimming. This is not a huge problem but something that I feel Losi could improve.

Anyone tried vented shock caps yet? It would be nice to get second opinions. I have been running them about 8 gallons now with zero problems. So if you're bored try it.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

A few months ago I was working on getting rid of slop in the eyelet of the shock cap on my Intech buggies. I made some bushings from a couple different materials. UHMW was the best until I found a common tubing we keep in stock at work. I just cut the shoulder off he existing bushing and installed about .1875" of this tubing and it is bulletproof. It doesn't wear and takes out all the slop. Plus, it's soft enough to provide impact resistance (or however you look at it).

I will check to see if it works on the 3.0.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ben Burtle
A few months ago I was working on getting rid of slop in the eyelet of the shock cap on my Intech buggies. I made some bushings from a couple different materials. UHMW was the best until I found a common tubing we keep in stock at work. I just cut the shoulder off he existing bushing and installed about .1875" of this tubing and it is bulletproof. It doesn't wear and takes out all the slop. Plus, it's soft enough to provide impact resistance (or however you look at it).

Keep us updated.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ben Burtle

So you cut the shoulder off the existing collar but reused the shoulder then used your common tubing?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Hey Ben, post a pic if you could please.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I do that on my truggy. Cut the shoulder off and slid it on the stand off, then use the cheap smaller diameter fuel tubing. Shock caps last forever. No more wearing the eyelet.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hambone
I do that on my truggy. Cut the shoulder off and slid it on the stand off, then use the cheap smaller diameter fuel tubing. Shock caps last forever. No more wearing the eyelet.
Let me see if I get this right, you take the original plastic standoff piece that the shock mounts to and cut it in half using the smaller side to slide on then use about the same length you cut but of fuel tubing and basically go half and half plastic/fuel tubing because the fuel tubing is a little thicker thus eliminating slop but not affecting or binding the movement because its only half the amount of tube in the eyelet instead of being a full piece that could bind it really bad. Am I right? Sounds good, u may have a tiny amount of bind but none noticeable.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Fuel tubing doesn't do what I have had the experience of with this tubing. It's nothing special. It does take a race to break it in but then works very well. I have some sitting in front of me. I just have to find out if it fits the Losi and what material it is made out of. We have a few different kinds.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

http://www.coleparmer.com/Product/Be...ck/EW-06491-12

That is what I used. I did try to fit it on my buggy. It's too tight. I don't know if it would be worth drilling the shock cap. I don't like the idea of reducing material at the eye of the cap.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

After doing some measuring. This "may" be the ticket in case any of you want to try it.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5958k13/=o41377
Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, Today I ran my 8ight 3.0 for the first time at the track today. ust finishing breaking in the motor and some light practice.
What should I check after its first real run?
I have already checked the rear diff for wear and everything seems fine even the bearings are like new still after about an hour of running. I have also checked for loose screws and all seems to be ok. Am I missing something?

I did have one issue. The rear shocks collars moved during running a lot changing my rear ride height at least 5-7mm lower from where I started (29mm). The lower ride height also made my rear springs pop out of the cups. This is how I noticed something was wrong. At that time I only was on the track for maybe 20 minutes max.
Did my shock collars spin loosening the springs? What should I do to stop this?

thanks for any help here.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

The springs break-in too. Not the collars moving.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The springs do bed in slightly , you will prob find its due to getting a small amount of dirt / binding in the rear hubs and hinge pins
Old 08-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Greg B
The springs break-in too. Not the collars moving.
Well, that explains everything. Thanks I did notice the front also lost its ride height setting but not so much that the springs popped out of the cups.

The springs do bed in slightly , you will prob find its due to getting a small amount of dirt / binding in the rear hubs and hinge pins
Small amount? Dirt gets everywhere but it didn't seem to bind anything. I had nice smooth motion all day. I did take apart the rear suspension to inspect the hinge pins and they also seem like new still.

So for what was basically an hour long bashing session. Since I haven't driven a nitro car for around 10 years. The 8ight 3.0 handled it a lot better than my old MBX 4 would have and I considered that thing a tank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.