Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
RC8 starter box question >

RC8 starter box question

RC8 starter box question

Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default RC8 starter box question

Hello new to nitro but not RC. my question is I have a older model RC8 with the factory .28 engine. I recently got a older ofna starter box. i have everything lined up i have the chassis pins mounted so the RC8 is setting right over the rubber wheel. my problem is the wheel is hitting my chassis before it touches the Flywheel. What will i have to do to make it work?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Change the motor mounts or get a larger flywheel. I assume you have the rtr pull start motor which has to be raised to make clearance for the pull start assembly. Check to see if this was done with spacers or an actual taller mount. A larger diameter flywheel may work but you might have brake interference.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 34Randy View Post
Change the motor mounts or get a larger flywheel. I assume you have the rtr pull start motor which has to be raised to make clearance for the pull start assembly. Check to see if this was done with spacers or an actual taller mount. A larger diameter flywheel may work but you might have brake interference.
Mine does not have the pull start when i bought it it came with a Pistol grip hex starter. I just dont care much for it. where can i find a larger flywheel. the OD of my flywheel is 34 mm.

Or what engine mounts would i need?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hillbillyrcer View Post
Mine does not have the pull start when i bought it it came with a Pistol grip hex starter. I just dont care much for it. where can i find a larger flywheel. the OD of my flywheel is 34 mm.

Or what engine mounts would i need?
Done some checking and found out my engine mount is the RTR mount. Will changing to the asc89129 mount fix this problem?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Yes but make sure you have back plate clearance. Most all starting systems hang down below the crankcase, hence the taller mounts.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Tech Regular

BTW, I'm an hour away from you in Soddy-Daisy.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Tech Regular

BTW, I'm an hour away from you in Soddy-Daisy.
Cool what do u run?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 AM
Tech Regular

Yes but make sure you have back plate clearance. Most all starting systems hang down below the crankcase, hence the taller mounts.
My rc8 uses the hex on the back of the motor.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

I run rc8.2 nitro and electric. The back plate that houses the one way bearing is what I'm taking about, it is larger than than a non pull start back plate. Look at some pics of motors with and without roto/pull starts on amainhobbies.com and you'll see what I'm talking about. Another factor may be that the .28 block is bigger and needs to be mounted higher for clearance.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

I run rc8.2 nitro and electric. The back plate that houses the one way bearing is what I'm taking about, it is larger than than a non pull start back plate. Look at some pics of motors with and without roto/pull starts on amainhobbies.com and you'll see what I'm talking about. Another factor may be that the .28 block is bigger and needs to be mounted higher for clearance.
What do i need to do? replace the mount and convert the roto start to start box only??

I am new to nitro stuff..