Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Just bought a Losi....... >

Just bought a Losi.......

Just bought a Losi.......

Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

YEAH I would imagine driving styles would matter the most and i am sure one could adapt as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RcJohn17
Does the Truggy motor have more torque than a Buggy?
There aren't really truggy specific .21 size engines...its more like an engine with more torque would be better suited to a truggy because of the extra weight. But some people like to have a lot of torque even in a buggy...like me ...although the only track that I can race at is a little small for the amount of power my engine has... I have a clocked werks B6 in my MBX6...and I bet it would be killer in a truggy.

I have never seen anyone run a P5 nor have I owned one, but I have owned the nova budget engine...N21 or something like that and I liked it a lot...but I do love my werks a whole lot more. I would say with any of the engines that have been suggested you can't go wrong as long as your patient with the learning curve of nitro. P5, B5, B6...
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Seems like lots of choices for sure. Cant wait to play !
Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chopper82p
Thats a buggy motor. No way its as powerful for truggy as a P5. Nothing really beats a P5 in terms of quality, power, and value.
whoops! thought it was a buggy. Yea P5 would be an excellent choice. I still think the RB will be ok. Its his first motor. Good for practice and club racing. When he feels more comfortable he can move up.

newb + too much power = marshilling nightmare. just sayin.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kyosho Kid
whoops! thought it was a buggy. Yea P5 would be an excellent choice. I still think the RB will be ok. Its his first motor. Good for practice and club racing. When he feels more comfortable he can move up.

newb + too much power = marshilling nightmare. just sayin.

Hey wait a minute, newb? lol
Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

well...just sayin. Trust me. When the D8 first came out i had the old version of this motor. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Standard-Plug
The D8 is a lead sled....a pig if you will. Losi cars have very smooth and light drivetrains and are light cars anyway.
I was in the sportsman class and got kicked out by the race director because my times were faster then his lol. He was in expert class. So i qualified #2 in the B and finished third. Mind you people were running V-specs and what ever the hot Nova and Werks motors of that year were in that class. I guess i had a good day of driving. This was a good size even too. Not just a local race.

Anyway...i say RB because its a good reliable engine, 3 port, good power, and it has a turbo plug head. Means the plugs last longer and creates a better seal in the combustion chamber.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

yeah i was wondering what a turbo plug was.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

I started using the P5 in 2011 in both buggy and truck after OS discontinued the v-spec. I have never had any issue with power as we have a few big tracks here.

Truggy motors do have more torque than a buggy engine. There are a few companies that make a "truggy" engine, though not many people run one. .21s can be plenty of power for a .21. the Pro drivers have made the .21 pretty much standard for truck. It all boils down to "usable" power and fuel consumption. Truggy motors used more fuel. The good RB engines are not easy to tune. But the longest running engine per tank of fuel if you know how to tune.

Turbo Glow plugs are heavier duty glow plugs. They increase horse power out put, and fuel consumption and they "should" last way longer than Standard Plugs. Turbo plugs are twice the cost of a standard plug.

If you want to be fast and really learn, I say dont worry to much about torque. The more torque the more tire spinning...
Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Man I just want to tripple , it looks so fricken bad ass
Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RcJohn17
Man I just want to tripple , it looks so fricken bad ass
Haha it's fun during practice, but in an actual race unless you can nail it EVERY time you are better off doing a double-single. The tenth of a second you save hitting the triple is destroyed by a single crash requiring a marshal that takes 3-4 seconds and now you lose to the guy double-singling it.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah I know. Will have to nail it down cause during practice i dont want to get it myself lol
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

yea...what chris said. like i said...too much power = marshalling nightmare on the triple.

take baby steps. you'll get there.