Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Which 1/8 Buggy $300 or $500+ >

Which 1/8 Buggy $300 or $500+

Which 1/8 Buggy $300 or $500+

Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

Well I can say that I will never be in competitive races so I don't need to worry even about upgrading to racing spec buggies. I would however like to build a kit but normally the only kits are devoted solely to people who want to be in competitive racing. I just want a good quality buggy that is reliable for occasional speed runs and bashing on open dirt.

I will pass on the Mugen but it is a great car IMO.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

What part of the country are you that makes it so hard to get fuel?

Bashing a buggy would be fun for a a few hours but racing on a track is so much better regardless of your skill level.

Zerodefect, i don't get what's wrong with mugen shocks?..their is a shock piston/oil/spring combo setup for any condition, plus all the aftermarket pistons and other stuff out there to tune your shocks...is the weight of the Eco loaded with electrics and batteries the problem?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

JQ TheRTR, other than a throttle servo I haven't broken a single thing. Only Track BTW.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by curacing2 View Post
What part of the country are you that makes it so hard to get fuel?

Bashing a buggy would be fun for a a few hours but racing on a track is so much better regardless of your skill level.

Zerodefect, i don't get what's wrong with mugen shocks?..their is a shock piston/oil/spring combo setup for any condition, plus all the aftermarket pistons and other stuff out there to tune your shocks...is the weight of the Eco loaded with electrics and batteries the problem?
After talking to a few friendly Mugen racers, it appears I found the perfect storm of what a Mugen ECO hates. We have a ton of layouts every year with big suicidal jumps with flat plane crash landings.

Big air tracks in freezing temps. To get as much pack, as say a Xb9. you'll lose alot of plushness and rebound speed with the ECO. And shock pistons are kinda rare.

My Xb9, my 808, and the few Serpents and Kyosho MP9's I've handled can have much greater pack settings for big jumps and still be nice and plush and handle small bumps.

For some reason the Mugen shocks get really slow acting, very little rebound. Even with thier stiffer springs. And hydraulic rebound isn't nearly as effective as it is with the Xb9 shocks. I was only running a 4100 Protek 4s lipo.

Compared to the Xb9, my Mugen reminded me of the skinny little shocks the original AE RC8's came with.

I was really disappointed in the Mugen shocks after all the fine reviews and the excellent experience friends of mine had with the car on Southern tracks. The rest of the car is ok. (allthough the arms are a little brittle) Drivetrain is silk.

Car would likely be fine on a regular Euro style track. But Supermoto it deos not. The car just plain deosn't work for me. Pancake landings so loud drivers on the stand flinch. Lost .5-1.5 seconds a lap switching to Mugen easy when I checked my times from my previous races on the same layout.

And that's from an obsolete Xray 808. Racers I usually toasted where blowing right by me.

The Mugen threads are pretty much "Stock setup works fine out of the box." And of course "Mine works fine". Which is quickly becoming the most infuriating thing anyone could say at the track. (don't ever say that to anybody)

A blind man could see that my stock ECO setup was rubbish. (literally, you could hear it!)

The final straw was when someone I usually lap twice, said he enjoyed racing against me and asked if I was holding back. Then shook my hand.

So when you hear on RCtech that "they're all good cars, just pick one" Ignore that, certain racers are plain better with certain cars, while others may be the exact opposite. You have to choose what works for you, and you can only find what works best for you by trying different cars.

This one is not for me, so I sell it, and move on to a Serpent or Xray XB9E if Xray every gets off thier buts. (don't hold your breath cause the lost thier buts on the 808E, I think they only sold 3 in the US!)
Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fanatic01 View Post
Woah loads of responses.

However, I've talked with some people I know who own nitro's and they say it's a real pain to get the fuel from our so called "LHS". Almost all of them are converting to electric because of it so I'm not sure if I should go with Nitro for the matter. It would be nice to have but If I can't run it then there's not much point. So at the moment I'm looking into E-buggies.

After looking at dozens of threads and reviews on various models, It seems like the AE RC8.2e RS RTR for just under $500 would be great and still affordable. However since many people run the Factory Team Kit I've also considered it even though after all is said and done it would be pushing closer to $1000. I would enjoy making my first kit though and it's seems to be a straight forward kit to make.
I've also considered the Mugen MXB6 Eco roller as it's the same price as the AE only it doesn't come with a few thngs like the AE but the parts availability for the Mugen is what sets me off from it a bit. It would be nice to only have to assemble a few things rather than the whole unit.

Today I'm going to check what parts are available if there are any for these companies. If I go with a kit I'm sure I can cut costs a bit but I'll need help for you guys

I guess this should go in a new thread as it's electric....

Thanks for the responses guys really appreciate it!
I've got an Agama with electric conversion installed, includes all the original new nitro stuff and enough spare parts to run a long time. An excellent quality buggy with little run time on it and you can spend the savings on electronics and motor/pipe.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ma-a8-evo.html
Old 01-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Mugens are very durable, unless you're running in the cold, the arms will just snap in half if you hit a curb (ask me how I know that). If you don't plan on hitting curbs however, I'd get the Mugen MBX6 or 7. Probably a used X6 since you aren't going to be racing.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
After talking to a few friendly Mugen racers, it appears I found the perfect storm of what a Mugen ECO hates. We have a ton of layouts every year with big suicidal jumps with flat plane crash landings.

Big air tracks in freezing temps. To get as much pack, as say a Xb9. you'll lose alot of plushness and rebound speed with the ECO. And shock pistons are kinda rare.

My Xb9, my 808, and the few Serpents and Kyosho MP9's I've handled can have much greater pack settings for big jumps and still be nice and plush and handle small bumps.

For some reason the Mugen shocks get really slow acting, very little rebound. Even with thier stiffer springs. And hydraulic rebound isn't nearly as effective as it is with the Xb9 shocks. I was only running a 4100 Protek 4s lipo.

Compared to the Xb9, my Mugen reminded me of the skinny little shocks the original AE RC8's came with.

I was really disappointed in the Mugen shocks after all the fine reviews and the excellent experience friends of mine had with the car on Southern tracks. The rest of the car is ok. (allthough the arms are a little brittle) Drivetrain is silk.

Car would likely be fine on a regular Euro style track. But Supermoto it deos not. The car just plain deosn't work for me. Pancake landings so loud drivers on the stand flinch. Lost .5-1.5 seconds a lap switching to Mugen easy when I checked my times from my previous races on the same layout.

And that's from an obsolete Xray 808. Racers I usually toasted where blowing right by me.

The Mugen threads are pretty much "Stock setup works fine out of the box." And of course "Mine works fine". Which is quickly becoming the most infuriating thing anyone could say at the track. (don't ever say that to anybody)

A blind man could see that my stock ECO setup was rubbish. (literally, you could hear it!)

The final straw was when someone I usually lap twice, said he enjoyed racing against me and asked if I was holding back. Then shook my hand.

So when you hear on RCtech that "they're all good cars, just pick one" Ignore that, certain racers are plain better with certain cars, while others may be the exact opposite. You have to choose what works for you, and you can only find what works best for you by trying different cars.

This one is not for me, so I sell it, and move on to a Serpent or Xray XB9E if Xray every gets off thier buts. (don't hold your breath cause the lost thier buts on the 808E, I think they only sold 3 in the US!)
You're the only person I'm aware of that has had problems with Mugen. Yes different cars work with better racers, but Mugen is top of the line. 99% of people will not have issues with Mugen.

OP, I strongly recommend a Mugen, you will not regret it. I had a Losi previously and I regretted buying it, its not fun to regret a purchase like that.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post

Sounds like your tracks are fairly extreme and with a lot of big jumps and bumps, that would be a challenge from an rc shock in an E 1/8th, I helped a friend with a mbx6 teckno converted buggy and it was so heavy we ended up running std kit 6T springs to get good ride height without excessive preload.

Hey, each to their own and be happy running what you know works best for you
Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

I think from a price point situation you would be best to pick up a race quality kit like the losi E 2.0 that's on sale right now for only $299 everywhere. I beat the snot out of all my losis and they NEVER break. Heck I've never even bent anything. I even let my neighbor's kids (ages 8 and 11) take turns driving my losi buggy and truggy last week for about an hour and after countless cartwheels and bad landings both came through with zero broken parts. And this was in 45 degree weather too. So I don't understand how people say the losi is so weak? I've owned all the brands so I'm not biased at all. Just posting my experience. I'm not a fanboy of any one brand I like them all for different reasons.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Rookie

jq rtr for the money just cant be beat , i do not race i only bash and this was my first nitro as well , and all i can say is i give mine hell .
the only thing i have replaced so far is a throttle servo ( amain said that savox had a bad run ) and a arm holder as a result of a wide open throttle head on collision with a t maxx on asphalt and he was in second gear and i broke his front bulkhead , chassis , two shocks an a arm and snapped his servo gear . ,
i changed the tires so i could get more speed launching it off a 15 foot hill if that tells you anything . The alpha motor holds a tune and starts every time .
Attached Thumbnails Which 1/8 Buggy 0 or 0+-dsc_0474rs.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MattP View Post
I think from a price point situation you would be best to pick up a race quality kit like the losi E 2.0 that's on sale right now for only $299 everywhere. I beat the snot out of all my losis and they NEVER break. Heck I've never even bent anything. I even let my neighbor's kids (ages 8 and 11) take turns driving my losi buggy and truggy last week for about an hour and after countless cartwheels and bad landings both came through with zero broken parts. And this was in 45 degree weather too. So I don't understand how people say the losi is so weak? I've owned all the brands so I'm not biased at all. Just posting my experience. I'm not a fanboy of any one brand I like them all for different reasons.
My Losi broke a lot more than my Mugens. The only problems I've had with my mugen is not shimming the rear diff right and stripping conical gears, that was all my fault though, if not for that, I had no problems with my Mugen truggy at all and just broken arm in 20 degree weather on my MBX6 ECO.

I'd get a Mugen if I were you. The Losi was my first "good" RC and I really regretted it after seeing how good my Mugens are. Save the time and money, get a Mugen from the beginning, you won't be disappointed!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by curacing2 View Post
Sounds like your tracks are fairly extreme and with a lot of big jumps and bumps, that would be a challenge from an rc shock in an E 1/8th, I helped a friend with a mbx6 teckno converted buggy and it was so heavy we ended up running std kit 6T springs to get good ride height without excessive preload.

Hey, each to their own and be happy running what you know works best for you
Yeah pretty much. And when a track isn't extreme, the skill of some of our local racers starts turning rythm sections into quads etc. etc. and eventually it becomes the X games again.