Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Old Buggy VS. New Buggy >

Old Buggy VS. New Buggy

Old Buggy VS. New Buggy

Old 01-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Old Buggy VS. New Buggy

I haven't been racing because of no track in my area. I was just curious if my older buggy would still be competitive with the newer buggy's and if not why. I have a Hyper 7, 8.5, and 9, also a Mugen Mbx5 truggy. They look to be very similiar in style to some newer buggies. Is it because the newer buggies are being built lighter. I will be traveling an hour away to start racing, so I don't want to go buy a new buggy if I can compete with what I have. I would appreciate your opinions on this.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would imagine your driving should make you competitive or not....within reason of course. I don't think simply having a brand new model will decide whether you kick a$$ on the track or not.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AsEpSiS View Post
I would imagine your driving should make you competitive or not....within reason of course. I don't think simply having a brand new model will decide whether you kick a$$ on the track or not.
+1 I don't think you need the latest and greatest to be competitive. As long as the buggies you have are in reasonable working order and have been set-up to drive well, then there's no reason you can't be competitive. There's a lot of fanboy hype on this forum to have the latest product (MBX7 is a perfect example at the moment)....and you shouldn't let that sway you.

Only money I would bother spending would be on some new tires to suit the track conditions (if you have old tires which have had it) and maybe some money on oils/lubricants to renew your diff and shock oils, only be about $50-$70 outlay for these items.

Then go have fun
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)

I am an awesome driver. So much so that I think Adam Drake would need at least three of the wheels bolted to a 15 year old 8th scaler to beat me in my new 8ight 2.0 with all the awesome stuff added.

Consider that a challenge Adam.

(I think the driver matters more than the car for the vast majority)
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Only difference in old and new technology is prob shocks I would get some big bores from tki or maybe D8 and hit the track, bet anything your old buggy will handle great
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Drive the old buggies until you improve your driving skills. Once your laptimes are consistent and not improving anymore, then you should consider a new buggy. Until YOU are consistent the buggy doesn't matter.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If youíre driving an hour to race it sounds like youíre committed to the sport. I would consider a new buggy for the simple fact better parts support, sharing and finding new set-ups easier to maintain and compete with, as the new current buggies are better quality and handle better. Old cars fade away, can they still be raced? Of course! It comes down to your own perspective. I just feel if you put in the time then why not race a current buggy. Sell all of your old stock to buy a new kit and engine. Anyways thatís what I would do. Have fun no matter what you decide.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

Great input from everybody. I will definately start out with what I have. My on track skills will definately need honing in. I have a very nice Hyper 8.5 that handles awesome with a new Dynamite .21 on it. I think I'll run it for alittle while and then move to the Hyper 9. From what I have read you need pretty good driving skills to make that 9 work, then maybe look into moving to something new. As far as parts I have enough extra parts to run probably 4 seasons without having to buy anything. I it a jackpot on a buy out from a guy. If you have anymore advice keep pooring it in, much appreciated.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

I would stick with the 8.5. I drove both cars a lot, and IMO the 8.5 is a lot better than the 9...
I dont remember, but if the Kyosho big bore shocks fit the 8.5, then get those and youre set!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

Good to hear your opinion on the 8.5. I do Like the handling of 8.5 over the 9. Not sure about the big bore shocks fitting, if anyone knows of the right ones for this buggy could you please let me know.