Search

First 1/8 nitro to get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stanfsu
What's wrong with buying used engines?
Have you seen the way some people maintain their air filters?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If it's a local face to face sale with say someone you race with, then I would most likely buy a used engine. But buying used over the internet you have no idea what you are getting and it becomes a gamble. The very first nitro engine I bought I still run today nearly a year later, but I did not get that lucky again with used engines. I got screwed more than once and now my wife wont let me buy a engine unless it is brand new in the box from a hobby shop
But just like Cyberacer said, maintenance is a major key with these engines. The break in and tuning are also things that you don't know about when buying a used engine.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stevetford
If it's a local face to face sale with say someone you race with, then I would most likely buy a used engine. But buying used over the internet you have no idea what you are getting and it becomes a gamble. The very first nitro engine I bought I still run today nearly a year later, but I did not get that lucky again with used engines. I got screwed more than once and now my wife wont let me buy a engine unless it is brand new in the box from a hobby shop
But just like Cyberacer said, maintenance is a major key with these engines. The break in and tuning are also things that you don't know about when buying a used engine.
+1. I agree. Who in there right mind will sale u a 10min motor with only "1gallon" thru it.....that's never given them a problem?........no one! Lol
Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

As already posted by a few IMO go with the JQ Products THE CAR RTR, it's a great buggy for the money & it's easy to upgrade it the the yellow edition parts down the track..The Alpha motor in it is also easily upgradable to race parts as well..
Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Almost everything. Unless you really know the person you are buying the engine from. Alot of people do not know how to break a engine in, tune, or take care of their gear. Nitro motors are one of those things where usually buying used is a bad idea. Buy new, you break it in, and you know how it was cared for from day one.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If your still looking for something rtr I have an ofna hyper 7 that is rtr for sale, it has a brand new engine in it that you will have to break in, its never seen fuel. I will include everything you need to run except fuel, it also will come with new in the package aluminum upgrades, rear lower arms, rear shock tower, center diff top plate, front and rear lower arm lock plates, and front upper arm bulkhead. Pm me if your interested.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Tech Master

If you buy from an unknown source, it's like trying to win the lottery.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

If you are going to bash it, it doesn't matter what you get. Get the cheapest everything you can. If you want to race it, I would start with a kit so you understand how to work on the car. If you really have to go RTR, the JQ is the best bang for your buck like everyone said. Make sure you watch the break-in vid JQ posted.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

I would NEVER EVER buy a used engine. I would quit. I have seen WAY more people getting burnt with used engines than people that had a good outcome. There are plenty of budget friendly NEW engines out there.

This is not a cheap hobby so ANYONE leading down that road is not being truthful. I dont care if you want to race or bash its expensive.
You buy too cheap you buy doubles or triples. just sayin
Old 01-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

The JQ rtr isn't a bad option but like all rtrs everything is low spec so your constantly upgrading (spending money on it) A guy I know has one and he snapped the servo spline off the savox, when I saw it had a plastic spline gear to mount the servo horn to i see why it broke, plastic geared servos don't belong on 1/8th buggys.

I have to say though the JQ rtr promo vid is very cool and shows the car can take a fair bit of abuse.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Tech Initiate

I was in same boat as far as lookin to get in for around $400. Ended up getting Losi 8 rtr and it's awesome. Well worth the $300 more IMO, quick, jumps and handles great, bonus you get dx3s radio, starter box. From what everyone says The servos are junk, as a noob I don't notice as I just casually race and I haven't broke one yet ( after gallon and half anyway).
Personally the fact it's so easy and smooth to drive as first car has made me love this hobby. Based on the fact i run on a track and like to race, if I had of gone the cheaper option I think I woulda quit by now.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:29 AM
Tech Master

I not long got the JQ rtr, great buggy & shares over 50% of its parts with the pro kit, & the customer support & backup is second to none. I looked at a few different buggies & went for the JQ because it was the best value & is as strong as anything out there, just check out the crash test vid. The Alpha engine is probably the best rtr engine in a buggy atm, it goes great & is easy to tune. The servo's are an easy upgrade but are better than some others out there. For the money is costs, its a bargain & has plenty of setup options as well. check it out.