Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Newby looking for a 1/8 Buggy RTR please help on choosing!! >

Newby looking for a 1/8 Buggy RTR please help on choosing!!

Newby looking for a 1/8 Buggy RTR please help on choosing!!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? Newby looking for a 1/8 Buggy RTR please help on choosing!!

Hey all I'm new to offroad and want to try to compete in 1/8th buggy at my new local track and want to buy the most competitive rtr buggy.Any help of you more excperienced offroad buggy drivers would be highly appreciated.

I need some recomendations on which rtr buggy to get to achieve my goal.
Thanks for help and hope to get some feedabck from you guys!.

Greg.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

I've read good things about the JQ RTR. Comes with Savox servos and an Alpha based engine. Best bang for the buck imho
Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Neesh for the fast reply will definitly have the JQ in my list!.
Been looking at the Kyosho Inferno NEO and the Losi 8ight also and it looks that all of these cars are competitive!.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do not waist your money on RTR stuff, you will be upgrading servos, radio, engines, starter box, etc, etc. If you want to go racing even at club level, got your your lhs, they can help you better than any one of us can.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by FASTGIMS View Post
Hey all I'm new to offroad and want to try to compete in 1/8th buggy at my new local track and want to buy the most competitive rtr buggy.Any help of you more excperienced offroad buggy drivers would be highly appreciated.

I need some recomendations on which rtr buggy to get to achieve my goal.
Thanks for help and hope to get some feedabck from you guys!.

Greg.
Bwaa ha ha.

A competitive RTR! Oh my, the humor in here is awesome. The trophygirl handing out a plaque for who can fill a garbage can first with RTR parts?

My advice. Write RTR in huge letters on a 2x4 board. Then beat yourself repeatedly with it until you're completely sick of seeing the word RTR.

To race competitively, you'll have to tear down your car nearly every other race. You'll have to tune and tweak ever single darn part of it. It's a complete pain. If you don't build a kit from pile of parts, then how well do you think you'll be at fixing it in the measly 30-60minutes between q's?

You need to research and build a kit to race competitively.

The Mugens and Losi's come prebuilt. You just drop a radio, servo, engine in them. But i recommend that you get the experience of BUILDING a buggy from a kit before even thinking about racing.

My recommendation:
Xray Xb9
OS 21xzb, P3 plug, 2090 pipe, Novarossi short compact header.
Hitec 7955
Sanwa M11x
Old 12-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Again, The JQ RTR looks good. For the $, you get a bunch of decent gear that'll be more than enough to compete at a club level. I just advise you to go through everything with loctite. Spend the extra cash on some good tires and a starter box and replace the pullstart with the backplate. Get some tuning oils and clutch bearings. You may want to upgrade the clutch shoes as well....No need to spend on high $ equipment to be competitve. Spend time on the track and practice
Old 12-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neesh View Post
I've read good things about the JQ RTR. Comes with Savox servos and an Alpha based engine. Best bang for the buck imho
+1 on that the JQ Products RTR one of best out there IMO & it shares alot of parts with the kit...

Last edited by waggaclint; 12-10-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the feedbacks guys,I really appreciate it!!.

Wow! looks like the JQ RTR is getting allot of praise and is an awesome RTR buggy!.

What about the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR?.This is the other one I'm paying close attention too,it comes with a nice radio and starter box but what about the buggy itself?.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waggaclint View Post
+1 on that the JQ Products RTR one of best out there IMO & it shares alot of parts with the kit...
+2 on JQ RTR.

It's the cheapest and best bang for your buck and easily upgraded to the race kit. I have one and love it.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Losi and JQ have great products. They both will break parts any givin time. My friend have a RTR losi buggy and it ran good for this last season(I was surprised). The only thing he switched out was the servo's and engine after he saw the difference in better servo's and how it can help when he drive. So which ever one you go with, pick up a few parts where ever you order from just in case you break at the track.

As for the support your local hobby shop theory..... I would see if they race or not and how good and supportive they are first before I spend a dime. I had bag experiences with 3 local hobby shops(2 NJ and 1 Va beach). Almost got me out the hobby when I first started.

And I do believe that you have to build your first car to know what's what and how to fix anything that breaks between qual's. There is nothing like kind of knowing(diagnosing) whats wrong when something breaks and repairing it to keep your race day going.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Mike I'm a on-road guy that wants to try off-road,definitly will try and build my next buggy if I like it!.

It looks like its a race between the JQ The Car and the Losi 8ight 2.0 will wait and see if I get more feedback,but really looks that I can't go wrong with either of these buggies.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FASTGIMS View Post
Thanks for the feedbacks guys,I really appreciate it!!.

Wow! looks like the JQ RTR is getting allot of praise and is an awesome RTR buggy!.

What about the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR?.This is the other one I'm paying close attention too,it comes with a nice radio and starter box but what about the buggy itself?.
I ran the losi rtr for like a month, starter box sucks, receivers suck. I've seen one guy only running an rtr chassis that ran like a beast. I'm sure skill had everything to do with it. The 350 losi motor is awesome, it would keep up with the novas, werks and whatever else in my class. Competitive to a lot of these guys probably means keeping up with the sponsored guys. i would recommend spending a little more and getting something not rtr. Get a nice roller and build from there.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

To my knowledge, I've never seen the JQ RTR in person so I can't comment on it too much.
I do know that it comes with better servos than the Losi, but that's about the only thing that's really better.
As far as the car itself, it's probably a toss up between the JQ and Losi. I'm really not a big fan of either, but they are both good cars and seem to be pretty reliable. I know Losi has issues with the diffs if they aren't shimmed perfectly, but that's about it.
The Losi comes with a much better radio and a starter box VS pull start. Pull start alone is enough to make you hate nitro.
Engine wise, they are probably on par with each other.

I've seen numerous Losi RTRs at the track over the years and a good friend of mine had one. It was a great car. The only issue he had was the servos, they had to be replaced before it ever saw the track.

That said, a true race roller will cost you less in the long run and will perform better. The RTR is just a means to an end that will get you started quickly and a little cheaper. Servos will be replaced soon followed by the motor and pipe. By that time, you'll be comfortable on the track and wanting to get away from the RTR all together, or at least that's what I always see happen.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

Hello,

This : http://www.area52.cc/reviews/2966-jq...ts-thertr.html Review might be helpfull for you.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the feedbacks guys really helpfull,its a tuff decision till now and can't decide yet between the JQ and the 8ight!.

All these two buggies have nice features and looks that they are well build and both are very competitive!.

Its a tuff one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.