Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Newby looking for a 1/8 Buggy RTR please help on choosing!! >

Newby looking for a 1/8 Buggy RTR please help on choosing!!

Newby looking for a 1/8 Buggy RTR please help on choosing!!

Old 12-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FASTGIMS View Post
Thanks for the feedbacks guys really helpfull,its a tuff decision till now and can't decide yet between the JQ and the 8ight!.

All these two buggies have nice features and looks that they are well build and both are very competitive!.

Its a tuff one.
What's your local hobby shop sell?
Sometimes it's best to deal with them and or at least what they sell, that way you have parts support. I ventured away from my lhs with my last buggy purchase and don't get me wrong I love my new buggy but they don't support it so I'm on my own for parts which can be a hassle at times

Last edited by Deckman; 12-10-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 12-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Mike,I'm not located in the US so I have to order all my parts overseas(amain hobbies etc.) So when ordering a car I have to order spare parts at the same time its frustrating at times but that's just the way it has to go.

Greg.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by FASTGIMS View Post
Hey all I'm new to offroad and want to try to compete in 1/8th buggy at my new local track and want to buy the most competitive rtr buggy.Any help of you more excperienced offroad buggy drivers would be highly appreciated.

I need some recomendations on which rtr buggy to get to achieve my goal.
Thanks for help and hope to get some feedabck from you guys!.

Greg.
hi mate just pitching in
I bought a d8s and upgraded it to a very high level at considerable cost. I wanted to start with a good model pre built cos as a newb myself I wasnt sure of anything.
My d8s has exactly 14 original parts, 6 of which are the turnbuckles. Upgrade to the comp kit as SOON as you know if off road is for you.( I didn't do this $$$) Upgrade the engine last to learn as much as possible about driving off road.( I did this )
All that said I absolutely adore my buggy and stand by what I did because that was the best way for me. Got an absolutely banging D8 with B6 pro.
I'm not saying get a d8s btw I did and don't regret it one bit you go with the one you want.
My advice is buy the rtr of the comp buggy you think you would like to end up with and think of the rtr as a disposable stepping stone.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gphero1979 View Post
My advice is buy the rtr of the comp buggy you think you would like to end up with and think of the rtr as a disposable stepping stone.

From the review, I would go for the JQ one. Seems the best bang for the buck.
I would convert to a starter box style though.

I will still push the kit version though...
Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I did just fine with the 8ight 2.0 RTR in the Sportsman class and even ran a few Expert races with it (the top of the class mopped the floor with me but they would with my current setup as well). I added the turbo head button and had a blast with it. Upgraded as parts needed it and ended up with pretty much a race roller all said and done. You'll do just fine with this setup. I still use the starter box to this day (been almost 4 years now) and I sold the car to a good friend of mine that couldnt be happier with it. I did the same thing with their RTR truggy.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

OK I'll bite. If you buy the D8S I guarantee you will not finish 1 race. You MIGHT get through a qualifier, but I'm yet to see one make it to a main. The majority of people that buy a D8S are drivers with no experience and that car can't handle much abuse. If my friend that bought one would like to chime in about the D8S I'll leave that up to him. I'm sure he is reading this thread

The Losi RTR is a very nice car. It will perform well out of the box. The servos are not the best and will likely need replacing within a few months of purchasing the car. The plastic shock caps are a weak point and will need upgrade almost immediately. In the hands of a experienced driver that doesn't crash much you may be able to get away with them. The engine is good enough to compete with. If it can clear all the jumps at the Fear Farm it will likely perform well anywhere else. The engine on the D8S however does not perform nearly as well. I'm still using the same starter box with the same belt. A new engine with a lot of pinch will need to be warmed up before turning it over though. Once it is broken in that box works like a champ. I have had to change the wheel since buying it.

The RTR is a good route if you are not confident enough to build a car. Taking a car apart and putting it back together is easier than building a car for the 1st time. It is the main reason my 1st ride was a RTR. However... Within 2 months it was completely upgraded to a roller and then some. If you don't have the money to upgrade it immediately it will still be a good ride if you are a beginner

I know nothing about the JQ car so I really can't comment on it

Just to be fair and not seem biased cause I run a Losi. Here is a video of the JQ RTR car in action. It seems to perform extremely well. The engine sounds like it has some good power for a RTR engine. At $400 it seems like a pretty good deal. The one thing you will have to factor in is the cost to get it to a KIT car. You will be upgrading it.

Forgot to add the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M75avcP-Fg

Last edited by JoePit; 12-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I never had one of the plastic shock caps fail but they did wear quickly and develop a lot of slop on the stand off pretty quickly. With the turbo head button and the RE11 (or equivalent) pipe, it made great power but didnt have the best runtime (I was pitting around the 8 minute mark and am pitting at the 10 minute mark on my last three engines). I bent a rear shock tower after a couple of months too. I cant think of anything else though. I never "broke" a single part, it has the same a-arms to this day. Oh, I bent a rear hinge pin after a bash session a few months back (had never bashed it until I bought a new car).
Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wow you guys are awesome some very nice feedback with very nice inputs abou the buggies,It still a tuff one very nice things have been said about the Losi 8ight and haven't had that much input about the JQ The Car mainly could be becuase its fairly new and now the drivers are driving it,but its the best seller currently at Amainhobbies with the Losi 8ight 2.0 in second place.

Greg.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=JoePit;11540532]OK I'll bite. If you buy the D8S I guarantee you will not finish 1 race. You MIGHT get through a qualifier, but I'm yet to see one make it to a main. The majority of people that buy a D8S are drivers with no experience and that car can't handle much abuse. If my friend that bought one would like to chime in about the D8S I'll leave that up to him. I'm sure he is reading this thread

Joe is right.
As I said don't get a d8s. I bought one because i had no experience of nitro and it looked the best. Never raced it and did indeed snap the rear PLASTIC pivot plate within 5 minutes of my first proper thrash. It just snapped i tell you!!!!!

I was trying to say if your lookin to race, the rtr route is an expensive route in in my experience. You will still need alot to make yourself competetive so maybe skip the rtr option and think about starting with a better base platform. If your coming from on road you already know how to build a kit so the rest, buy a good one once or buy an rtr and then a good one to replace it.

Also if you do get an rtr its proper funny when you get it setup right on the right tyres. You can pretty much drive it flat out on the standard engine an the faster lads will crash over themselves to beat you. The standard power lets you drive a well set up car really fast and for me was the best way to learn. I found it much easier to setup my suspension with less power as everything happens slower and if you need to learn about off road then this can't be bad.

How's that? Dya like that side boob?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=gphero1979;11543181]
Originally Posted by JoePit View Post
OK I'll bite. If you buy the D8S I guarantee you will not finish 1 race. You MIGHT get through a qualifier, but I'm yet to see one make it to a main. The majority of people that buy a D8S are drivers with no experience and that car can't handle much abuse. If my friend that bought one would like to chime in about the D8S I'll leave that up to him. I'm sure he is reading this thread

Joe is right.
As I said don't get a d8s. I bought one because i had no experience of nitro and it looked the best. Never raced it and did indeed snap the rear PLASTIC pivot plate within 5 minutes of my first proper thrash. It just snapped i tell you!!!!!
How ironic that the kit version is nearly indestructible
Old 12-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=redbones;11543452]

Ya man but from the sounds of things it just needs the right select few bits that the others do.
Problem is when to stop though....
Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

[QUOTE=redbones;11543452]

I don't know anyone that runs the regular D8 so i can't comment. If you are talking about the Hara it's not even close to the same car. On a track where you get huge air like the Fear Farm every D8S I've seen in action either never finished a qual or limped off the track. The rear block is without question the 1st to go. Next all the driveshafts bend and will need replaced.

My buddy drove it twice with no success and bought a Hara which without question is bulletproof. He sold the D8S to a friend that brought it out to race 3 times and never made it to the main.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

[QUOTE=JoePit;11543968]
Originally Posted by redbones View Post

I don't know anyone that runs the regular D8 so i can't comment. If you are talking about the Hara it's not even close to the same car. On a track where you get huge air like the Fear Farm every D8S I've seen in action either never finished a qual or limped off the track. The rear block is without question the 1st to go. Next all the driveshafts bend and will need replaced.

My buddy drove it twice with no success and bought a Hara which without question is bulletproof. He sold the D8S to a friend that brought it out to race 3 times and never made it to the main.
IMO the D8S was not the right car to race or bash. I had the car for about a month and sold it to a friend of mine so I could buy the Hara, what a difference. The D8S has way to much chassis flex and bends drive shafts like crazy.
There is nothing as good as a kit, just from my experience. I feel it is better to buy a used kit and go that route, you might spend a bit more but that will pay off in the long run. If I remember correctly I spent a total of 550 bucks to get started with a used kit,bump box, servos and radio. Could not be happier.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Honestly, if you are going to have parts shipped anyway (no local shop), just buy the one that excites you the most. i'm always happier when I get the car I really want, not one I talk myself into.
I've never bought an RTR, but have also heard great things about the JQ. Losi 8ight2.0 is a great car (I have a SCTE), but the english/std bolts drive me nuts living in China. access to non-metric bolts may be tough depending on where you live.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Cant go wrong with the Losi or the JQ rtr, I would like to say pick which has better parts availablity, but with the internet age thats mostly moot.

Personally i would try out the JQ if i had the chance, its different and well engineered, just break away from the norm of Losi and Mugen at my local tracks.