Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Duratrax 835b feedback >

Duratrax 835b feedback

Duratrax 835b feedback

Old 11-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Duratrax 835b feedback

Has anyone drove this buggy or even own one, they look good but I dont know if its worth pursuing or not, will be racing on a budget and dont really wanna spend more than 400$ on a buggy right now.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I haven't been into the hobby in a while (since 2003) but back then duratrax was hard to get parts for.

if you really really plan on racing I'd find a used associated or losi. something the local shop or online shops for that matter will have access to parts to you quickly or at all.

I went through this with a thunder tiger EB-4. supposed to be a good buggy and all back then but getting parts was like finding the gold at the end of a rainbow.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I don't have any experience with the Duratrax buggy. It looks as though it has the adjustability and durability to be a decent track performer.

It's probably more about getting driving time and working on whatever car you get. If you are on a tight budget and this is the car that gets you to the track, I say go for it. This car should be sufficiently competitive while you develop your driving skills. Durability would be my biggest concern when first starting out. Big Squid RC's review gave this a 10/10 on durability, and they absolutely thrash on stuff when they get it, so you know its gotta be pretty tough. You don't want to be constantly breaking stuff while you are learning how to drive.

A couple of items.

1.) The engine is a .27, which is too large for ROAR rules. Most tracks i've been to allow larger than legal engines as long as it is part of the OEM equipment for an RTR. Might want to check with your local track before you buy it. For a newb, they probably won't mind. It is also a pull-start, which can be a PITA to deal with if not properly maintained.

2.) As with any RTR, you will need to upgrade to a high-quality steering servo sooner rather than later. This will be an additional expense you have to consider.

3.) "Budget racing" is kind of an oxymoron, but there are a few corners you can cut early on. Get medium or hard compound tires for practice, as they won't wear out as fast as softs or super-softs. Or buy good looking slightly used sets from other racers at the track. Tires can be a big expense.

4.) Parts and set-up support at LHS's and tracks might be limited because it is not one of the more popular buggies for racing. Most likely, you will be the only one at your track running that brand. If you break something specific to the buggy, no one will be able to help you. This is why durability is so important.

My first 1/8th scale racer was an OFNA Ultra LX-1 RTR. I had the same issues as you did. New to the hobby and didn't want to drop a bunch of cash up front. It helped me learn to race, but I was much faster with other guy's full-on race buggies when they let me drive them. All the guys at the track told me to buy a higher quality buggy upfront, but I didn't listen to them. It at least got me to the track and got me up and running. IMO, I think the Duratrax looks far superior to the LX-1 did as far as being a capable racer. I say go for it!! If you decide that you don't like racing, you're only into it for $400 versus $1000 or more if you get a full-blown race set-up from the start and then decide you don't like racing. If you do like racing, you can upgrade things like servos and engines as your driving skills and budget allow.

Last edited by sdtech58; 11-10-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If it were me and i had a $400.00 budget, i would look at this buggy. Def. more race worthy.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-RTR-1-8-Buggy
Old 11-11-2012, 01:25 AM
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here is a review on that buggy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anGyyS0ajFM
Old 03-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here is a link to the review Big Squid did on the buggy.

J

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/duratrax-8...-buggy-review/