Search
Like Tree1Likes

Nitro Pitting / Shortage of HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)
Default Nitro Pitting / Shortage of HELP

At my local track there's always a shortage with pit people. This has caused guys to cross over into the E side leaving their nitros at home (Even me @ times).

We have more then enough people racing to cover but people dont come out majority are running SC, or E buggy.

Do you guys have this issue and does your track / director have rules or ways to address this issue. Maybe a sign up list prior to cover everyone?

I dont want more people crossing over from the nitro class it seems to be shrinking. When I speak with people about why there not running there nitro its the same reason "Pitting"

Last edited by bigjayjay1; 10-30-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:55 PM
8T
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
At my local track there's always a shortage with pit people. This has caused guys to cross over into the E side leaving their nitros at home (Even me @ times).

We have more then enough people racing to cover but people dont come out majority are running SC, or E buggy.

Do you guys have this issue and does your track / director have rules or ways to address this issue. Maybe a sign up list prior to cover everyone?

I dont want to see more people crossing over our nitro class seems to be shrinking. When I speak with people about why there not running there nitro its the same reason "Pitting"
Were kind of dealing with this right now too, except our issue seems to be short nitro mains! And no consistancy.(they have been around 10-12min, as short as 5 and as long as 25) We have had one friend that has pitted 6 guys in a main!(and man, was he busy!!!) 1 can usually do 2 or 3 cars. If we think there might be an issue, our race director will let a marshal pit someone out on the track.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Finding someone to pit for a stranger is a problem. The RD's common line is - people are friendly, you'll/we'll find someone. The reality is that there are often a thousand and one reasons why they can't do it. Many times the excuse is really shabby. Factor in the occasional strange looks and it's the pits.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If it's your local club where everyone knows someone, for club racing one guy can pit a couple different cars with no issue. We usually do it this way at local races here; and to be honest, I'd rather have a 'veteran' nitro guy pit me, even if he's pitting two other people, than someone who doesn't know anything about nitros and would likely fill my radio tray instead of my tank.

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Finding someone to pit for a stranger is a problem. The RD's common line is - people are friendly, you'll/we'll find someone. The reality is that there are often a thousand and one reasons why they can't do it. Many times the excuse is really shabby. Factor in the occasional strange looks and it's the pits.
100% spot-on!

There were a couple times where I went racing by myself, at new tracks where I didn't know anyone, and had to find someone to pit me. It's amazing how 'busy' some people are charging lipos and even 'working' on their cars.

True story: One time I found some guy to help me pit. After the start he walked away, I guess to go spot...? I was just thinking, "where the hell is this guy going?" It was time for first rounds of pits and my guy was still standing out there. I pulled my car over in a corner so I could wave at him to tell him I need fuel. His reaction? He smiled and waved back with a thumbs-up....

I'll be honest and say the reality of it is, you bring your own pit man. I mean, do you want a stranger pitting you at a big race? Heck if it comes to it, bring your neighbors kid and pay him $20 and buy him lunch.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah it's a struggle its a pain and I normal have but other have dropped nitro for this reason. I know other tracks must have the same problem maybe they thought of a solution. I guess it would be hard to mandate since other don't run cause they don't want to get dirty

We also have guys fueling a lot of cars but the hard part is the start And refuel when that's figured out its a breeze normally.

The E guys should get dirty its so much fun
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

We often are short pit men, so a lot of times guys will double duty as multiple pit men and marshals.
I was at a track once that only had enough to fill the main for nitro. during the heats there were 2 heats of 6 cars but for the main it was a 12 car field. The new E buggy guy that I lent tires too became my pit man for the 20 minute main. I broke it to him gently after his main..." you know those tires you used all day? here's my fuel bottle and I'm car #3. Time to go to work!"
Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

how we prevented this in that past at a track I used to race at was at the Drivers meeting pit man would be handled. Show of hands who does not have a pit guy? then you can get people that need to pit for one another to do so. This is also an opportunity for the race director to speak up and see who is a noob at the track or first time. He would get sent over to an experienced guy and then he would be coached in racing till his heat began.

this always worked well. Give it a shot.
Morpheus1289 likes this.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Let the cars fill on the track so the pit man can marshal. Seems like a simple fix. I was at a race where we did double 7 min a mains. For a nitro race this was horrible. It made it feel like another qual, not what nitro is all about.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If it's a club race, who really cares, we should all have to fill our own cars. Adds another element to the race lol! If it's a big race, then yeah, you should have your own dedicated pit guy period.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We run three 15 minute nitro mains each club race day instead of multiple qualifying rounds - way more fun by the way. Usually only have 1 or 2 pit guys for everyone to maximize the number of marshals. We all come in quick at the end of warm-up for fuel and then do a standing start on the track with the faster guys at the back and we are not too picky about the line-up. There is lots of time between the 6 and 10 minute mark for everyone to come in for fuel without the pit guys getting overloaded. Drivers just call down when they are coming in - our pit lane has numbered fuel bottle holders to make it easier. Pit guys are sometimes busy running around when someone flames out but for the most part it works fine for us.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

If you operate, run, or RD a track that people have problems finding a pit guy...
THEN SHAME ON YOU, MAY YOUR TRACK FAIL!

Any track like that should be completely ashamed of themselfs. (I'm not talking about slow grassroots tracks with hardly any racers, I'm talking about tracks with decent turnouts that have this problem) RC is supposed to be a freindly raciong enviroment. Do you want newbs to stick with RC? Then next time you see a newb struggling to find a pit guy give him a hand.

To ignore racers that need a pitguy is absolutely disgusting to me. Fighting words even. If your SCT class is popular, why can't the SCT guys pit for nitro? Even if it means pulling a couple marshals off the track to pit. Git it done!

When a new guy can't find someone to pit for him, that's the same a slapping him in the face and saying "Screw you, new guy, no pits for you!"

Also, don't abuse your pit guy, or your pit guys will disappear. You don't need a pit guy for quals, just mains.

I generally make sure my "clique" is attending big races so that I'll have a pit guy. And I run E at club races. But any track where I can't find a pit guy, will never recieve my business ever again.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

IMO, a new racer not finding someone to pit for them is the #2 reason why nitro is dieing off at the club level. (E being easy is #1)
Old 10-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Boinker
how we prevented this in that past at a track I used to race at was at the Drivers meeting pit man would be handled. Show of hands who does not have a pit guy? then you can get people that need to pit for one another to do so. This is also an opportunity for the race director to speak up and see who is a noob at the track or first time. He would get sent over to an experienced guy and then he would be coached in racing till his heat began.

Excellent idea!

That way we won't start racing at all until everyone has a dedicated pit guy.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Boinker

That's a good idea
Old 10-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

E guys are the biggest bunch of complaining babies I have ever seen. At 1st I thought the nitro engines were drowning out the waaaa waaaa but nope the e guys have an issue with the nitro guys. Makes no sense to me whatsoever but I have seen it with grown men and then passed down to the next generation. I had a 10 yr old telling me how stinky and loud my car was. So I revved it up for him and gave him a little extra smoke it's like mutiny on the ship. I drive both and attempt to fly a heli RC is RC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.