R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Cleaning (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/673537-cleaning.html)

CBlakeNS 10-27-2012 07:01 PM

Cleaning

I have a 1/8 scale ofna buggy. Years ago when I used to have my tmaxx I used to take it through the mud and everything else and would actually disassemble it to clean it. Now I do not have the time I used to when I was a kid to do all that. What have you found is the easiest way to clean your cars. I have some all purpose cleaner or denaturated alcohol. Just spray it down real good and then use a air compressor to dry everything off and wipe it down.

What do you guys do?

JoePit 10-27-2012 07:18 PM

I pull the engine and radio tray. Wipe those down by hand. Simple green and rinse the rest of the buggy with water. Air compressor to dry then apply prep and shine/pledge or whatever you prefer to detail. I like my cars looking new after every race day. Takes me about 20 minutes each tops.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...n/LosiLogo.jpg

CBlakeNS 10-27-2012 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by JoePit (Post 11375540)
I pull the engine and radio tray. Wipe those down by hand. Simple green and rinse the rest of the buggy with water. Air compressor to dry then apply prep and shine/pledge out whatever you prefer to detail. I like my cars looking new after every race day

I am the same way man. I have an old ofna ultra mbx that I have had for years and I just put a new .28 on it but it looks brand new. I will post a picture here shortly.

CBlakeNS 10-27-2012 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture

T.Ngo 10-27-2012 07:28 PM

I used to spray my buggy down with simple green and spray it down until I pulled my diff out one day and it had rust on it...I blew it off with the air compressor and use a heat gun to dry it...Now i'm tearing it down and cleaning it takes longer tho

nitroal 10-27-2012 07:36 PM

i take out my electronics and use a pressure washer to clean. blow it off and spray with wd-40 and blow off again. if i'm not planning to race within a month i will tear my diffs out and clean them good to make sure no water sits on them.

JoePit 10-27-2012 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by T.Ngo (Post 11375571)
I used to spray my buggy down with simple green and spray it down until I pulled my diff out one day and it had rust on it...I blew it off with the air compressor and use a heat gun to dry it...Now i'm tearing it down and cleaning it takes longer tho

I've never had that problem. My diffs get serviced once a month if I'm just club racing and serviced before any larger events. Plenty of grease on the gears.

Zerodefect 10-28-2012 09:02 AM

I don't recall a little rust ever hurting anything on a nitrobuggy.

I used to rinse mine down after pulling engine and tray. But that washes dirt into the bearings and CVD's.

Now I brush the car off, hose it down with Silicone Lube spray (dryer than WD40). Coat that with TAG body spray and then brush and wipe some more.

T.Ngo 10-28-2012 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Zerodefect (Post 11376923)
I don't recall a little rust ever hurting anything on a nitrobuggy.

I used to rinse mine down after pulling engine and tray. But that washes dirt into the bearings and CVD's.

Now I brush the car off, hose it down with Silicone Lube spray (dryer than WD40). Coat that with TAG body spray and then brush and wipe some more.

Yeah the rust was not much but got me worried. Silicone lube spray? Where can I get that

rcuser567345 10-28-2012 11:09 AM

I get most major dirt off with paint brushes then remove the engine, radio tray and clean those. If I want my car to be spotless, I disassemble it all, rebuild diffs and shocks, take apart and clean engine, and apply Trakpower detailer with a clean paint brush. I use paint brushes and paper towels to get every spec of dirt off of it, of course, I don't do this often because its a lot of work if the next morning I'm just gonna run it on the track again, in that case, I just wipe with paint brushes without disassembling anything.

rcuser567345 10-28-2012 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by T.Ngo (Post 11377116)
Yeah the rust was not much but got me worried. Silicone lube spray? Where can I get that

I use that on suspension and steering parts to make it all nice n smooth, I use the Cow RC moo slick.

NCWalrus 10-28-2012 07:18 PM

Simple green diluted 10:1

mdchris 10-28-2012 07:55 PM

Any auto parts store will have silicon spray lube, it'll be right near the wd-40 usually. The best part is that it's a really effective lubricant without leaving a residue that will allow dirt to stick. Great for the outdrive cups, hinge pins, king pins etc.

prowlag 10-28-2012 08:09 PM

dishwasher...

BlueStreakOne 10-29-2012 05:08 PM

I remove the radio tray, tank and center diff from the bottom and the motor from the top, brush or blow off all loose dirt, put a little wd 40 on all bearings and then wash and towel dry. Then, I use my own proprietary formula, Truggy Love, and everything looks awesome. Brush it on and wipe off any excess. Or, just brush it on very sparingly. It is not for sale but I am giving away samples if anyone wants to try it send me a pm. So far everyone that has used it has given a positive response.