R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   keeping the wheels down (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/668773-keeping-wheels-down.html)

nathan7419 10-09-2012 08:41 PM

keeping the wheels down

So heres the deal. im not into racing or anything like that. just the casual bashing from time to time. I have a xxxnt 2, and i grenaded the engine a few days ago. upon looking into it a bearing seized, and there goes the rod/piston. enough babbling. Ive got a dynamite .18 on the way. from what i have read keeping the front wheels on the ground are is going to be an issue. So my question is: would the right combo of stance, suspension stiffness, and gearing keep the wheels down? im by no means a rc car expert.

debones 10-09-2012 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by nathan7419 (Post 11307205)
So heres the deal. im not into racing or anything like that. just the casual bashing from time to time. I have a xxxnt 2, and i grenaded the engine a few days ago. upon looking into it a bearing seized, and there goes the rod/piston. enough babbling. Ive got a dynamite .18 on the way. from what i have read keeping the front wheels on the ground are is going to be an issue. So my question is: would the right combo of stance, suspension stiffness, and gearing keep the wheels down? im by no means a rc car expert.

In review of the operation instructions for your truck, it looks to me that you have a slipper clutch. If you start pulling the front off the ground, you should be able to loosen the clutch a little to prevent this.

You can do google search for the operating manual that will explain how to set your clutch

nathan7419 10-09-2012 10:04 PM

yeah it does have a slipper. i understand the jist of it, i work on cars a lot so a lot of the concepts make sense. loosening it is just gonna change how much it engages primarily at the initial hit of the throttle right? it wont take away from my top end?

azwheelman 10-09-2012 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by nathan7419 (Post 11307428)
yeah it does have a slipper. i understand the jist of it, i work on cars a lot so a lot of the concepts make sense. loosening it is just gonna change how much it engages primarily at the initial hit of the throttle right? it wont take away from my top end?

Yea i have a xxxnt with a os 18cvr ..and it hauls ass ...adjust the slipper ...and i even put
2oz of sticky back lead weight up front will help ..stock spring s and 35wt oil is a good start
Good luck

hustler777 10-10-2012 06:03 PM

Use zip ties and put your RX battery above the steering servo and use the smallest spur gear you can use along with going up 2 teeth on the clutch bell.....you may have to make a custom lead for the pack wiring to reach your on/off switch....I miss running 1/10 nitro lol

nathan7419 10-10-2012 07:20 PM

^^^i thought about this. but im not a big zip tie guy. if anything a little chassis ballast. i am ok with a little wheelie as long as it will settle and not flip over every time. once the motor gets here ill be able to put thought into action. if i move the battery box up front the truck wont have the box to stop it from flipping over(my truck will never get a wheelie bar, just gay imo) i think the first thing i will probably do is lower the truck. low cg will help stop the wheels from popping up. and making the rear squat more, kind of like a drag car does on launch. theoretically this should help some. probably wont be as significant as gearing, etc but will be a start