Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
HELP! Weirdest rear diff sound, help me diagnose it - MBX6T >

HELP! Weirdest rear diff sound, help me diagnose it - MBX6T

HELP! Weirdest rear diff sound, help me diagnose it - MBX6T

Old 10-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Chopper, how many shims do you have on the left outer side of the bearing?
You need a minimum of 2 of those large shims to make the crown and pinion mesh as close as possible, if thats what you running already see if you can squeeze in a 3rd.
Its a common problem with the 6T and mainly caused by having the brakes set too hard, if you look at the angle of the teeth of the gears they are flatter one side than the other which is more angled so under heavy braking they ship.
to be 100% good again replace both gears and bulkhead and run 2 shim on the left from new, if thats too tight and notchy run 1 for a race meet then fit the 2nd.

Craig
Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Originally Posted by curacing2
Chopper, how many shims do you have on the left outer side of the bearing?
You need a minimum of 2 of those large shims to make the crown and pinion mesh as close as possible, if thats what you running already see if you can squeeze in a 3rd.
Its a common problem with the 6T and mainly caused by having the brakes set too hard, if you look at the angle of the teeth of the gears they are flatter one side than the other which is more angled so under heavy braking they ship.
to be 100% good again replace both gears and bulkhead and run 2 shim on the left from new, if thats too tight and notchy run 1 for a race meet then fit the 2nd.

Craig
No shims, thats how it was when I took it apart the first time, had no shims, and I checked the manual and it didn't say I needed shims. I didn't think I needed shims but I will add them now and see if that fixes it. I was running a lot of rear brake to get the car to turn better.

The gear is way too expensive to replace, 15 for the bevel and 40 for the conical, I just bought these brand new and they look perfect.

Thanks for the help, I will try the shims.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Suspended

whoops, looked in the manual again and I see that it does say to add shims... guess thats my problem. I put 2 shims, 3 were too notchy, now its tight
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

yep, not many written instructions in a mugen manual but in the 6T that's one of the most important, lucky you didn't wreck the gears.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by curacing2
yep, not many written instructions in a mugen manual but in the 6T that's one of the most important, lucky you didn't wreck the gears.
Yep, thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Saved me 16 bucks on a new gear box works perfect now