Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Starter Box concern with LIPO Battery - Need advice? >

Starter Box concern with LIPO Battery - Need advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starter Box concern with LIPO Battery - Need advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Starter Box concern with LIPO Battery - Need advice?

Hi

I have a Kyosho Multi Starter Box Pro 2.0 (KYO36209) and I've just purchased a Lipo Battery which is a Turnigy 5000mAh 4S1P 14.8v 20C.
My concern is when I connect the wires which also look visually thinner than the Lipo wires seem to get warm maybe hot as I did not test long enough to find out, also another thing I noticed were small sparks coming from motor and one of the connections. My worry is is this normal or should I use precautions?

Thanks and I have added a picture with arrows, red arrows indicate which wire's go warm and yellow arrow's indicate where spark's are coming from.
Attached Thumbnails Starter Box concern with LIPO Battery - Need advice?-20121006_224111.jpg  
Old 10-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nazUK
Hi

I have a Kyosho Multi Starter Box Pro 2.0 (KYO36209) and I've just purchased a Lipo Battery which is a Turnigy 5000mAh 4S1P 14.8v 20C.
My concern is when I connect the wires which also look visually thinner than the Lipo wires seem to get warm maybe hot as I did not test long enough to find out, also another thing I noticed were small sparks coming from motor and one of the connections. My worry is is this normal or should I use precautions?

Thanks and I have added a picture with arrows, red arrows indicate which wire's go warm and yellow arrow's indicate where spark's are coming from.
normal...
Old 10-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You should replace everything after the battery connector with high quality connectors and wire. The electronic components installed in almost every starter box are laughable at best. I rewired my starter box with deans wet noodle and a deans plug. I also installed a relay so the current draw was not going through the switch. As far as the sparks in the motor and on the contacts, yes it is normal. Electricity is not the work of wizards, as much as you nitro guys think it is.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I would change the connectors and wires to ones that are able to handle higher current like Deans or Treaxxas. The sparks are normal with brushed motors.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LosiPRRACER
normal...
+1. Going on 2 yrs with the stock wires and connectors in my OFNA starterbox with lipo. No issues at all.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks to everyone with there input.
Going by what has been said might be a good idea to change wires to deans wet noodle, having said that I have read mixed opinions on deans or bullet connectors.
In terms of deans and bullet connectors etc it seem's like to be personal preference as quite a few people favour bullet connectors to deans although the overall do convert to deans.
I think I will stick with bullet connectors as to me they look to be a better fit and fitting and the way I see it if they have been fitted at stock then there's no reason why they should not work just as good.
Appreciate the feedback from all has given me idea's on what I need to do.

Last edited by nazUK; 10-08-2012 at 03:12 PM.