Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 worlds

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

until they open this race up to Martians, it should really be called the Earths.

3 worlds events? Unlikely. The cost for the manufacturers to do just one is astronomical, and 3 events would just cheapen the whole meaning of the worlds. I am in favor of a point system like Nascar or the FedEx cup in golf. Pick the major races like DNC, Silver State, Neo, Nats, etc and add up the total from all the races at the end of the year to crown a champ in the off year of the worlds.

You will definitely see some changes, every manufacturer will have something in their bag to improve the durability, adjust the car for the conditions of the track, etc. Specifics? Just wait and see.

The worlds is such a crap shoot, it could be anyone's weekend there. Any of the top 20 guys in the world have a shot at winning, that's what makes this race so awesome.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
I am in favor of a point system like Nascar or the FedEx cup in golf. Pick the major races like DNC, Silver State, Neo, Nats, etc and add up the total from all the races at the end of the year to crown a champ in the off year of the worlds.
Please take no offence...... but typical american thinking. What your saying is in the off year we crown an american driver champion. What about all the other major events around the world, Not just in the USA. Euro events, Asian events, Australian events ect. ect. ect. it would be even worse then just having 3 major events to decide the Champion, the cost to manufacturers would be more then some countries gdp.....
Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nitro Downunder
Please take no offence...... but typical american thinking. What your saying is in the off year we crown an american driver champion. What about all the other major events around the world, Not just in the USA. Euro events, Asian events, Australian events ect. ect. ect. it would be even worse then just having 3 major events to decide the Champion, the cost to manufacturers would be more then some countries gdp.....
"Please take no offence...... but typical american thinking."

Too bad I'm not a mod here, cause that was uncalled for.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

would be good to see a true world championship most of the top drivers do 3 or more international races a year any way great way to promote the sport and move it forward
Old 09-11-2012, 02:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Boinker
"Please take no offence...... but typical american thinking."

Too bad I'm not a mod here, cause that was uncalled for.
My comment was not meant to be derogatory, inflammatory or disrespectful to anyone, but we continuously see the rest of the world gets forgotten in some peoples minds when we'er talking about world events and that everything should happen only in the USA.

Last edited by Nitro Downunder; 09-11-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:47 AM
Tech Champion

It would be at least nice to see a triple a main.

I think the "crapshoot" format is kinda lame. Minus well just scream "Royal Rumble!" and give the trophy to the only guy who deosn't get tossed from the drivers stand.

I mean if all the drivers Q within a quarter second of each other and a good portion of the worlds fastest drivers are in the C main, it really is a "crapshoot". But it's a "crapshoot" that's going to sell a ton of gear to club level racers.

But hey, if the pro's are cool with it. Then maybe it's not so bad.

Or for those who are concerned about the cost of racing at this level.....why not just draw straws. That would be cheap, results would be about the same.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
I mean if all the drivers Q within a quarter second of each other and a good portion of the worlds fastest drivers are in the C main, it really is a "crapshoot".
Isn't that exactly like almost every other sport in the world?
When they hold qualifications for 100M sprint in the olympics, a bunch of people who are a quarter of a second off the time miss out. That's how it works.
That's the idea of COMPETITION.

If you prefer to hold a charity ball, and just give out the prizes to whoever is more likeable then that's cool, but be honest about it and don't make it out to be something it isn't - qualification is fair, everyone has equal opportunity to qualify, and their level of PERFORMANCE is what decides their position.

Do you also think that the Super Bowl should be a best out of three event then?
Maybe that would be more fair to the runners up?
Or maybe it's better that you hold three different Super Bowls with six different teams, so everyone has a "fair chance"?

There can be only one winner and that's the entire idea of a competition.
There can be only X number of finalists, that's the entire idea of making people compete for their place in the finals.

The best driver on the day will be the winner, just like in every other sport.
If Barcelona have an off day on the soccer pitch, despite being huge favorites, then Chelsea will beat them in the champions league final, what do you wanna do about it, have a best out of six?

The entire argument is just flawed, whoever is best at the day deserves to win, he is the worthy champion, there's nothing "crapshoot" about it at all whatsoever.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:15 AM
Tech Champion

Luck is surely a significant factor..
Old 09-11-2012, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Luck is surely a significant factor..
Is it not in any sport?
Would you say that in the Indy 500 or the F1 grand prix at Monza, there is no luck involved?
Would you say that bundling a puck into the net has no luck involved in the stanley cup?
Would you say that a fumble in the super bowl has no luck for the team advantaged by it?

I don't buy into this entire "it's a crapshoot" mentality, whoever performs the best usually has the power of the Norse Gods on his side (or Luck if you will) and will win the race, it's a fair playingfield!
Everyone has equal opportunity to be lucky, everyone has equal opportunity to tune their engine perfectly, everyone has equal opportunity to not tip their car over and lose 10 seconds in a final, all these things do not equate to "a crapshoot"; it equates to being at the top level of performance mentally, in terms of driving skill and capability, tuning your engine well, having a good mechanic, and that is not what this sport is about you say?

I just don't buy this "it's a lottery, we might as well draw straws", because it's just not true.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eivind E
Is it not in any sport?
Would you say that in the Indy 500 or the F1 grand prix at Monza, there is no luck involved?
Would you say that bundling a puck into the net has no luck involved in the stanley cup?
Would you say that a fumble in the super bowl has no luck for the team advantaged by it?

I don't buy into this entire "it's a crapshoot" mentality, whoever performs the best usually has the power of the Norse Gods on his side (or Luck if you will) and will win the race, it's a fair playingfield!
Everyone has equal opportunity to be lucky, everyone has equal opportunity to tune their engine perfectly, everyone has equal opportunity to not tip their car over and lose 10 seconds in a final, all these things do not equate to "a crapshoot"; it equates to being at the top level of performance mentally, in terms of driving skill and capability, tuning your engine well, having a good mechanic, and that is not what this sport is about you say?

I just don't buy this "it's a lottery, we might as well draw straws", because it's just not true.

Hard to argue with this.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Eivind E
Is it not in any sport?

Your missing the point completely.

It would be nice if the IFMAR World Champion won it as convincingly as Vettel won his F1 World Championships. You can't argue the fact that Vettel was the best driver with the fastest team. Because he won in convincing fashion repeatedly.

Tons of RC racers are going to buy whatever hits the podiums at the Worlds, it would be nice if it wasn't a flimsy D8.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
You can't argue the fact that Vettel was the best driver with the fastest team. Because he won in convincing fashion repeatedly.

Tons of RC racers are going to buy whatever hits the podiums at the Worlds, it would be nice if it wasn't a flimsy D8.
Like Shumacher ( I cant spell German) did in the 90's.

And yes, "Tons of RC racers are going to buy whatever hits the podiums at the Worlds." If it was a one off home built, people would line up to buy it! I remeber when Hara won, You couldnt get a D8 without waiting 2 months. Kind of glad I didnt get one in the first place. But at $350 for a kit, I can see why they flew off the shelf.

As far as luck goes.... That percent can be anywhere from 1% to 90% on any given Sunday But like they say, Luck favors the prepaired
Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think I understand what Rui is trying to say.You want to see some kind of RC10 Detroit World version right?Well,the current versions are mature so maybe we will see small changes.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default well

I say one big race like it is, but only 3 practice days right before qualifying and get it on. No weeks of practice, planning etc. That's just silly. 3 full practice days then 3 10 minute qualifiers, and an hour main. Done.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro Downunder
My comment was not meant to be derogatory, inflammatory or disrespectful to anyone, but we continuously see the rest of the world gets forgotten in some peoples minds when we'er talking about world events and that everything should happen only in the USA.
You meant exactly what you said. If not you wouldnt had said it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.