Wiki Posts
Search

What is considered "bashing"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob
^THIS. "bragging" about not having had to change bearings ever, to me atleast, means a car has the potential to let you down without notice. I took a chance ONCE with clutch bearings during a amain, because i though," meh, they feel fine". i was running in second place. Coming into the pits i could hear something was up....the car was eating the spur gear..sounded like a loose chain . i thought...10 min to go...ill try and go for it and get my 2nd place...like any true racer...balls to the wall haha.
well the car just got worse and worse, ended the race in third place eventually. THEN i got to see what my relapse in OCD cost me...2$ bearings broke 200$ worth of parts on my car. Tank, spur, bell, 4 shoe clutch and flywheel, top plate, shaft nd took a decent amount out of my chassis as well.

We race by a saying around here, and it applies to everyone:

Luck can be described as the culmination of preparation and oppertunity at the right time...leave one out of that equation and luck = 0 lol
My favorite phrase is it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Also for me I can prep my stuff, and do really well. If I neglect my stuff it seems like all my luck is bad. I guess I make my own destiny. And if it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Bashing is running your vehicle any place other than a track and getting a grin on your face.

Racing is running your vehicle on a track and getting a sphincter clinching, adrenaline rush.
I had to say something on this one......I have been to the track many times for practice, test and tunning etc.... and I come out saying all the time: could not run the way I wanted, too many bashers.

You can run at a track and still be bashing, many people show up to the track and run their monster truck or stadium trucks which is fine, open track is for everybody, but for example if you are trying to test a pipe for runtime and bashers get on the way trying to do a back flip on a big double it can be an inconvenience.

I get your point just wanted to say that there can be many bashers at the track.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
What is that old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Once you start contending for wins, you tend to take preventitive maintenance more seriously. I myself don't want to spend all week preping my car just to have a $1 bearing fail, cost me a race, and probably screw up more expensive parts. New bearings every round is a bit excessive. I usually change them at a half gallon. $2 insurance to not dnf because of clutch bearing failure is well worth it to me.
And I don't want to spend all week prepping my car. That kind of obsessiveness takes away from the fun of RC for me. We are talking toy cars after all. And fair enough, not everyone will see things the same way. Some people just like to be überserious about RC - so for them racing is a better thing to get into - there's far more to obsess about.. And for some people launching off a ramp at the park or thrashing through some gravel pit - and driving in the open, not only within the very narrow confines of a track, is what floats their boat.. To each his own..
Old 08-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

OCD is fun
Old 08-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Sideshow Bob;11136062]^THIS. "bragging" about not having had to change bearings ever, to me atleast, means a car has the potential to let you down without notice. I took a chance ONCE with clutch bearings during a amain, because i though," meh, they feel fine". i was running in second place. Coming into the pits i could hear something was up....the car was eating the spur gear..sounded like a loose chain . i thought...10 min to go...ill try and go for it and get my 2nd place...like any true racer...balls to the wall haha.
well the car just got worse and worse, ended the race in third place eventually. THEN i got to see what my relapse in OCD cost me...2$ bearings broke 200$ worth of parts on my car. Tank, spur, bell, 4 shoe clutch and flywheel, top plate, shaft nd took a decent amount out of my chassis as well.

We race by a saying around here, and it applies to everyone:

Luck can be described as the culmination of preparation and oppertunity at the right time...leave one out of that equation and luck = 0 lol[/TyQUOTE] to each is own, I've seen brand new parts fail in minutes also... Sometimes luck plays a part to and if I was racing and my buggy or whatever I was running started making noise or acting funny I would bow out and consider it not my day...
I take great pride in my stuff and live by the rule, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Maintenance is one thing, but imo, some of these guys are nuts...lol. I'm in it to have fun, not to worry about something breaking...
Old 08-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
And I don't want to spend all week prepping my car. That kind of obsessiveness takes away from the fun of RC for me. We are talking toy cars after all. And fair enough, not everyone will see things the same way. Some people just like to be überserious about RC - so for them racing is a better thing to get into - there's far more to obsess about.. And for some people launching off a ramp at the park or thrashing through some gravel pit - and driving in the open, not only within the very narrow confines of a track, is what floats their boat.. To each his own..
I get satisfaction out of the quantitative improvements I can see on track. Yes bashing an r/c car around is fun, but it has its limits. But at the same time I can only run the same track layout so much before it gets old to. What I enjoy most in the hobby is dialing my car in during practice, and having the car perfect by the second round of qualifying. I really enjoy trying new parts and adjustments on test/practice days. Showing up with a new adjustment to try, but running my car first to see if I can feel the change. I like having purpose behind what I do.

I have been in this hobby for 20+ years. I could build a vehicle that would be just about indestructable and just go and bash the crap out of it. I know that a lot of the appeal of bashing is upgrading your vehicle, but when you get to the point in this hobby where I am, where I can look at the manual for a yet to be released car, and figure out what design flaws may potentially cause issues, and have a concept pre-engineered. Then when I get the car I build it to as close to perfection as I can. Eventually I will move on to a different car. Before I sell the old car I pull all my custom built or repurposed parts and mothball them just in case I ever get another one of those vehicles. I have a box in my hobby room that has a bunch of custom one off parts waiting just in case.

I aim to break lap records not parts.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PT RC Racing
I had to say something on this one......I have been to the track many times for practice, test and tunning etc.... and I come out saying all the time: could not run the way I wanted, too many bashers.

You can run at a track and still be bashing, many people show up to the track and run their monster truck or stadium trucks which is fine, open track is for everybody, but for example if you are trying to test a pipe for runtime and bashers get on the way trying to do a back flip on a big double it can be an inconvenience.

I get your point just wanted to say that there can be many bashers at the track.
That's sorta sad that the track operator allows bashing. Around here, bashers get shown the door.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
That's sorta sad that the track operator allows bashing. Around here, bashers get shown the door.
yea, have to say that most track owners don't take kindly to people that go around the wrong way, crashing into pipes, destroying jump faces etc lol i'd also show them the door if i put alot of time and money into track prep just to see it go up in dust by people who like smashing into a jump as fast as possible no matter the consequences. We had that at a track here a while ago, with some rich kids playing chicken with brushless MT's down the main straight...the"winner?" picks his parts up afterwards.Bashers with 5th scales are the worst. those thing could reduce everest to rubble the way they get thrashed.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

no transponder