R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Anyone using goggles for racing? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/654408-anyone-using-goggles-racing.html)

Pulse_ 08-15-2012 12:22 PM

Anyone using goggles for racing?

Hello,

I'm getting troubles on the track because of the dust, sun and nitro vapours.
My eyes are very sensitive and I already had to stop a race because they were hurting too much.

So what would be the best eye protection I could find for offroad environment? I'm wearing glasses so I would need something that could fit over them. I know some guys are using goggles but I've no idea of what to choose so if you have any suggestion..

ehartman_49348 08-15-2012 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pulse_ (Post 11096942)
Hello,

I'm getting troubles on the track because of the dust, sun and nitro vapours.
My eyes are very sensitive and I already had to stop a race because they were hurting too much.

So what would be the best eye protection I could find for offroad environment? I'm wearing glasses so I would need something that could fit over them. I know some guys are using goggles but I've no idea of what to choose so if you have any suggestion..

Motocross or ski goggles would be your best bet! You can use different colored lenses too for different weather circumstances!

NitroXray80809 08-15-2012 12:31 PM

Moto goggles fog free or even paintball/ski. You can find paintball fig free masks for cheap and the mask is removable. Or buy some nice name brand moto goggles.

nitroexpress 08-15-2012 12:42 PM

I have seen a few people use these.

http://www.amazon.com/Flakjak-dust-f.../dp/B001O2KCPG

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Pulse_ 08-15-2012 12:52 PM

Thanks, I didn't know the lenses could be changed!

Does it affect depth or contrast perception?

Pulse_ 08-15-2012 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by nitroexpress (Post 11097005)

Can't be used with glasses sadly

Zerodefect 08-15-2012 01:00 PM

If they affected your vision in a negative way we'd have a whole lot of dead motorcross racers laying around, right?

Just get a good pair. You'll likely want to upgrade to contacts if you can.

Usually it's the dust that bugs me. I can take nitro exhaust straight to the eyeballs with no problems. Some races have a "No watering after 1st Q." rule. Those are the races where my eyes get painful. Stupid rule.

Pulse_ 08-15-2012 01:05 PM

LOL I've seen plenty of dead bodies on motocross tracks already (ok I've a special sense of humour :rolleyes:)

Well my eyes can't stand anything: dust, sun, nitro, wind, water.. I think this is it, oh yeah and pollen too :lol:

I've a stupid question: can motocross glasses be worn without a helmet? I mean my head is not so big :D

ehartman_49348 08-15-2012 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pulse_ (Post 11097093)

Well my eyes can't stand anything: dust, sun, nitro, wind, water.. I think this is it, oh yeah and pollen too :lol:

I've a stupid question: can motocross glasses be worn without a helmet? I mean my head is not so big :D

Sounds you are in need of allergy medication...

Yep, you can wear them without a helmet. Just tighten the strap and you are good to go!

Pulse_ 08-15-2012 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ehartman_49348 (Post 11097123)
Sounds you are in need of allergy medication...

Yep, you can wear them without a helmet. Just tighten the strap and you are good to go!

Ok :), if anyone has a model to recommend don't hesitate

Nitro Tiger 08-15-2012 01:24 PM

Been considering goggles, race last week end
first Q it was very cold with a strong head wind, eyes were watering real bad by the end, not to mention sore eyes at the end of race day

Flip it 08-15-2012 01:48 PM

Not wanting to push a brand as such but the Scott goggles have a larger frame than most of the others. My young fella wears glasses and so does a mate that I used to ride with and we found the Scotts were the only ones that the glasses did not push hard up against their faces. Talk to a motor bike or ski shop as they would be asked this question regularly.
Dave

Pulse_ 08-15-2012 01:50 PM

@ Nitro Tiger: It's definitely useful in many situations

I did some researches and it seems that brown lenses would be the best for high luminosity. It helps for the contrast and contour of objects too, often used in outdoor sports.

@ Flip It: I will go in a MX shop to see if I find something interesting, it might not be as easy here as in the US :lol: Will try the Scott first then :)

kaan 08-15-2012 02:33 PM

I have ski goggles with orange lenses, they work really nice both for wind, smoke and dust. The orange is good with snow and fog, so i figured they would work with nitro smoke and dusty tracks too. Sunglasses is still better in very bright conditions.
You should be able to find a pair that will fit outside your glasses. Its not totally unheard of that skiers wear glasses ;)

As always, go try a lot of different ones at a well stocked shop :)

bigjayjay1 08-15-2012 05:20 PM

I'm sorry but I get a good laugh when I see people wearing these it doesn't match nor do I find its needed. They sell safety glasses that seal their comfortable plus it look like regular glasses