Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Xray XB9 vs Kyosho Mp9 >

Xray XB9 vs Kyosho Mp9

Xray XB9 vs Kyosho Mp9

Old 08-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Xray XB9 vs Kyosho Mp9

Hi,

I know that comparing these two cars is different and I'm planning on testing them before I buy one but which one would you suggest? Which one is more durable?
Old 08-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Tech Adept

xb9 is more durable.
Both cars handle wery well.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Buy what you can get parts for the fastest. Both cars a capable off winning in the right hands. Most people on here will tell you the best car is what their driving.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I just switched to the xb9 from the kyosho.....I absolutely loved the kyosho on the track but I switched because of durability issues. I kept my kyoshos for 2 races on the xb9 before I sold them just to make sure I would like the xb9 as much. I was able to get the xb9 to feel just like the kyosho on the track and lap times were very close with the xb9 being slightly quicker. (I tested them back to back)

The xb9 seems to be more durable, haven't broken anything yet. The quality and fit/finish are better with the xb9.

Don't go by price, while the kyosho is more, you'll end up spending the difference in option parts (hubs, springs), or at least I did.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just started racing this year and and have wrecked my kyosho plenty. I havent had anything break that wasnt my fault. I have been racing at least every other weekend and sometimes every weekend. There isnt a problem with durability on the kyosho cars if there was i would never race
Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xray808-11 View Post
xb9 is more durable.
Both cars handle wery well.
Would you explain how is the xray more durable please?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Put 5 non pro drivers on an xb9 and 5 on an mp9, the xb9 would still finish the race with the probability of all 5 drivers as opposed to the mp9.

If you are to make the mp9 as durable as the xb9 you would need to buy the heavy duty arms from kyosho and some other optional parts which defies the purpose of stock out of the box being durable.

I have driven both and yes their is a difference in durability, put both cars in the hands of pro then you would not need to justify durability since most pro drivers wont make that many mistakes as newbies and intermediate drivers.

Xray car right from the xb8 were tough cars if you want to compare the release of the mp9 and the xb808 then there is no comparison, till all the revisions were made on the mp9 to date after the wc then you would call it nearly as durable, but the xb808 out of the box was and is still carrying the heritage of durability.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shesha View Post
Put 5 non pro drivers on an xb9 and 5 on an mp9, the xb9 would still finish the race with the probability of all 5 drivers as opposed to the mp9.

If you are to make the mp9 as durable as the xb9 you would need to buy the heavy duty arms from kyosho and some other optional parts which defies the purpose of stock out of the box being durable.

I have driven both and yes their is a difference in durability, put both cars in the hands of pro then you would not need to justify durability since most pro drivers wont make that many mistakes as newbies and intermediate drivers.

Xray car right from the xb8 were tough cars if you want to compare the release of the mp9 and the xb808 then there is no comparison, till all the revisions were made on the mp9 to date after the wc then you would call it nearly as durable, but the xb808 out of the box was and is still carrying the heritage of durability.
Im sorry but you shouldnt talk something you dont have a clue about. There is no such thing as heavy duty arms for a kyosho. You should do some more research. There arent any upgrades needed out of the box. The only revision durability wise after the wc edition was thicker outdrives. Im still running the thin ones and havent broke those. I cart wheel mine plenty its built like a tank
Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I have owned both cars and every model of the mp9, there was some problems with the first mp9s such as arms and some universal issues those have been fixed. The xb9 is a little more durable but is still breakable and I have yet to break any part on my tki3 and can be bought from europe for a lot less than here in the states and needs nothing else on the buggy and by the time you buy the xb9 and the 5 degree steering knuckles and different set of springs because that's what most people have used (myself included) to get the xb9 to be more stable and turn better and you will have more money in the xb9 and extra parts than what I have in my tki3. I liked the xb9 just didn't feel it was as stable or could be pushed as hard as my tki3 so I sold the xb9, parts wise the Xray parts are more expensive and both are great cars but i feel the xb9 needs a lot more time and different pistons and springs to be setup to the way you would like it.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by evolution03 View Post
Im sorry but you shouldnt talk something you dont have a clue about. There is no such thing as heavy duty arms for a kyosho. You should do some more research. There arent any upgrades needed out of the box. The only revision durability wise after the wc edition was thicker outdrives. Im still running the thin ones and havent broke those. I cart wheel mine plenty its built like a tank
Am sorry maybe you should do your research, and rest assured I always do my research before opening my mouth :-)
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ension-Arm-Set

Oh one more thing about the durability subject, I used to sell Kyosho as a shop owner, and trust me I sold more parts for the kyosho mp9 then I did for the xb9 or xb808 and we are talking 2 new cars not revisions, and we are talking about stock, it depends on your track your driving etc etc, there are one thousand one reasons why an rc car would break, but parts wise u take an xray arm and a kyosho stock no upgrade no tweaking, you can bet the xray arm wont break like the kyosho due to it's manufacturing mix, even JQ with his vast experience is figuring out the formula, each company has it's secret.

I never said the MP9 was a bad car I said it's not durable as xray cars, there is a difference so lets not start a brand war over spilt milk please.

Most drivers for kyosho would boil the arms to have added flexibility to ensure less likely hood of it snapping on hard impact, but you dont see xray drivers worrying abouts breaking either.

Last edited by shesha; 08-12-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Am sorry maybe you should do your research, and rest assured I always do my research before opening my mouth :-)
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ension-Arm-Set
Those are the stock arms for the tki3 and tki2 wc buggies those were only a option part for the tki1 and tki2 when the original arms had a problem
Old 08-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jammin57 View Post
Those are the stock arms for the tki3 and tki2 wc buggies those were only a option part for the tki1 and tki2 when the original arms had a problem
Which proves my point exactly something had to be re-enforced or redesigned due to durability issue not car handling did not see the xray releasing a new revised arm for durability, maybe more tunning ability yes but not the other way round.

Just to clarify a point here, the mp9 when first released had so many revisions due to durability and track abuse, thats normal, xray 808 did not have revisions due to failure of durability, just more tuning ability.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jammin57 View Post
I have owned both cars and every model of the mp9, there was some problems with the first mp9s such as arms and some universal issues those have been fixed. The xb9 is a little more durable but is still breakable and I have yet to break any part on my tki3 and can be bought from europe for a lot less than here in the states and needs nothing else on the buggy and by the time you buy the xb9 and the 5 degree steering knuckles and different set of springs because that's what most people have used (myself included) to get the xb9 to be more stable and turn better and you will have more money in the xb9 and extra parts than what I have in my tki3. I liked the xb9 just didn't feel it was as stable or could be pushed as hard as my tki3 so I sold the xb9, parts wise the Xray parts are more expensive and both are great cars but i feel the xb9 needs a lot more time and different pistons and springs to be setup to the way you would like it.

Both cars are durable and great, can't go wrong with either,The xb9 is a little more durable and very stable out of the box. Xb9's always finish races where occassionally you will get a dnf from a kyosho locally as what I have witnessed. Not sure where you got that from, handles rough very well where the 808 didn't, ask anyone who drives one, that is the main diff. The xb9 is 600 bucks plus 30 bucks for springs 20 bucks for pistons and 100 bucks for 5 deg incline blocks which are not needed, but help. That's about 750.00 and still less than mp9. If I wasn't driving an xray, I would drive an mp9 though.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Which proves my point exactly something had to be re-enforced or redesigned due to durability issue not car handling did not see the xray releasing a new revised arm for durability, maybe more tunning ability yes but not the other way round.

So I guess the 3 years it took Xray to finally realize thier Pinion design wasn't gonna work wasn't a durability issue????
Both cars are great and the OP should pick the one he wants to drive
Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...uminum-Chassis

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...d-Main-Chassis

Just FYI peoples price wise xray competes just as good if not better, just dont forget you wont need that many parts to replace.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.