R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   How should I mod my new HPI D8S for racing? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/651395-how-should-i-mod-my-new-hpi-d8s-racing.html)

DanielHerbert77 08-04-2012 12:58 PM

How should I mod my new HPI D8S for racing?

New to racing, new to RCTECH forums...

I found an HPI D8S practically new in box - bought it after somebody yanked out the pull start cord like a lawnmower! Just finished fixing that and breaking in the engine...

Putting new radio gear into it - got a Spektrum DX3R and SR3300T.

Can anyone help me with pointing me in the right direction to make it more competitive on the track?

Is this a buggy that I can even put on the track and not be embarrassed?

hotbodymike 08-04-2012 02:03 PM

long rear shock tower and 112mm rear shocks

DanielHerbert77 08-04-2012 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by hotbodymike (Post 11055164)
long rear shock tower and 112mm rear shocks

Thanks Mike -

about a hundred dollar or so upgrade - I see how it makes sense though - so the rear end doesn't bottom out on bigger jump landings...

Definitely buying this mod - thanks again!

nv529 08-04-2012 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by DanielHerbert77 (Post 11055309)
Thanks Mike -

about a hundred dollar or so upgrade - I see how it makes sense though - so the rear end doesn't bottom out on bigger jump landings...

Definitely buying this mod - thanks again!

you can buy those 112mm parts cheaper off ebay from someone parting out a D8 hara edition. Technically all you will need is the shock body, shock shafts and tower.

brooklynny 08-04-2012 04:03 PM

I bought one and ran it at my track, felt it was not competitive enough for me in the engine department so I went out and got a Hara. For the amount of money you will put into it for racing, wont be worth it but still a great buggy.

DanielHerbert77 08-04-2012 04:05 PM

Found less expensive shock towers on eBay (alum + carbon) but having a hard time finding the actual shocks - maybe I'm not searching for the right terms?

I also learned that I can grab the aluminum hinge pins from an HPI Trophy that will help prevent common breakage with this buggy...

brooklynny 08-04-2012 04:12 PM

Your gonna want to change these also, Hot Bodies Hara D8 Buggy pivot plates / hinge pins

DanielHerbert77 08-04-2012 04:17 PM

Considering that I got it with a shredded pull start - NEW - never touched dirt for only $50 from someone - I think I can invest a little into it and get myself into the hobby... It's got me a bit excited!

brooklynny 08-04-2012 04:19 PM

Go to BHR Hobbies on Ebay great Hot Bodies parts for great price

blktransam 08-04-2012 04:49 PM

check out the HARA D8 thread for more info pretty much the same car. any questions just ask.

Roelof 08-05-2012 02:04 AM

Guys.... look at the highlighted:

Originally Posted by DanielHerbert77 (Post 11055022)
New to racing, new to RCTECH forums...

My advice: just start driving, I think the best advise you can get is what tire to use, that will do a lot more than getting other shocks.

And more people are asking why this hobby costs a lot......

sdtech58 08-05-2012 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 11056673)
Guys.... look at the highlighted:

My advice: just start driving, I think the best advise you can get is what tire to use, that will do a lot more than getting other shocks.

And more people are asking why this hobby costs a lot......

+1...Get out and drive it. There is no substitute for track time and experience. 90% of your set-up is tires anyways. By the time you drive well enough to notice small set-up changes, you will be ready for a new kit and can get something better at that point.

Just my 2 pennies...get out and have fun with it!!