Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Controlled Tyres in 1/8th Offroad.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Controlled Tyres in 1/8th Offroad.

Hi all,

There is a healthy debate going on in the Australian threads about introducing controlled tyres for Truggy at major sanctioned events and no doubt it will follow onto Buggy if it does happen.

The question I have is why has it not been done yet for 1/8th Off-road in other parts of the world?
Old 07-24-2012, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

? Not enough information. Do you mean by controled tires they are limiting it to only one brand, or more along the line of one tread type and compound?

If thats the case, I only believe in that for stock electric racing.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:34 AM
Tech Initiate

ive raceed a controll tire race in 1/8 buggy in massachusetts. didnt really make any difference.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

I like the idea of control tires for SCT and 2wd Buggy. Those classes still have epic tire wars. If you don't have the right tire, you won't make the A-main.

But 1/8th scale is different. I don't need a huge variety of tires, and the cars aren't supersensitive to tire selection. So I see no real need for a spec tire.

And there would be fighting over fast wear tires like Gridirons and long lasting tires like Impacts. I have both, but the Gridirons are only faster, if you're haveing a perfect day, totally dialed in, or just plain superfast. Otherwise, longer lasting Impact tires seem more consistant for most racers.

A spec tire rule for 1/8th scale should allow for 3 types of tires if you do choose it.

1.) AKA Ibeams or Proline Bowties
2.) Aka Impacts
3.) AKA Gridirons, HB Megabites, PL Holeshots

But it deson't matter, racers at the 1/8th scale level will still find an advantage in tire prep and exploit it. Spec tire rules often make maintenance more intensive. Instead of running plain jane out of the bag tires, people will start trimming, saucing, and foaming the spec tires for an advantage.

Spec tire rules are best suited to classes where the tires have become a must have expensive item, and/or where having the wrong tire takes you from the podium to the B-main. My 2wd buggy has about 30 sets of tires, my 1/8th scales share about 6 pairs total.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
I like the idea of control tires for SCT and 2wd Buggy. Those classes still have epic tire wars. If you don't have the right tire, you won't make the A-main.

But 1/8th scale is different. I don't need a huge variety of tires, and the cars aren't supersensitive to tire selection. So I see no real need for a spec tire.

And there would be fighting over fast wear tires like Gridirons and long lasting tires like Impacts. I have both, but the Gridirons are only faster, if you're haveing a perfect day, totally dialed in, or just plain superfast. Otherwise, longer lasting Impact tires seem more consistant for most racers.

A spec tire rule for 1/8th scale should allow for 3 types of tires if you do choose it.

1.) AKA Ibeams or Proline Bowties
2.) Aka Impacts
3.) AKA Gridirons, HB Megabites, PL Holeshots

But it deson't matter, racers at the 1/8th scale level will still find an advantage in tire prep and exploit it. Spec tire rules often make maintenance more intensive. Instead of running plain jane out of the bag tires, people will start trimming, saucing, and foaming the spec tires for an advantage.

Spec tire rules are best suited to classes where the tires have become a must have expensive item, and/or where having the wrong tire takes you from the podium to the B-main. My 2wd buggy has about 30 sets of tires, my 1/8th scales share about 6 pairs total.
I agree 100%. This past weekend I started with Calibers and ended up with Ultra Didgets for the last 2 rounds and a 20 min main. I didn't win the main but my tires stayed cosistent and thats what I want for a 20 min main and finished 3rd due to a fuel line problem. To many times I started with a small pin tire (DD's or Holeshots) only to have them be like ice skates the last 5 min of the main. Impacts and the likes are the longest lasting, most consistant tires I use for the tracks around my way.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Spec tire pre mounts would be the only way to do it. You have to buy them the day of the race and have them teched. Im not for or against it, however in 2wd buggy I would definitely be down for it.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Lord

In Holland they have set one brand/model tire
Old 07-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Spec classes destroy competition and innovation.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Completely disagree....

Spec/controlled tires like 1:1 racing is bad in r/c racing.

For one, people have sponsors.... Why should a JConcepts guy be forced to run AKA, or vice-versa, etc? That would also go completely against race organizers being able to pull sponsors if the sponsors won't see their products being used. Secondly, it's death to the hobby. Not everyone can afford to spend $70 (one set) or $140 (two sets) for truggy tires each race day to meet whatever spec tire is running.

It just doesn't make logical sense. If you're going to spec tires, then spec motors, chassis', etc. The gaps are just as far apart in those categories as they are in tires.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Prophet

In 1/8 scale racing nitro or electric it doesnt make sense to have a spec tire its the formula 1 of offroad racing thats the way it should stay.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

We did this last year on a series in North Carolina and Virginia. AKA Cityblocks were all you could run, compound was up to you, but it was supossed to help keep the cost down. You were teched at the begining of the series, and given 1 point extra for each race you ran on the same set of tires. It was ok. But that was just for that series. I ended up using 2 sets for 10 races. I guess in the cost factor, it saved me. But I cant say the competiton was changed by only allowing 1 type of tire.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rider313
? Not enough information. Do you mean by controled tires they are limiting it to only one brand, or more along the line of one tread type and compound?

If thats the case, I only believe in that for stock electric racing.
This is whats proposed.

In summary, the proposal nominates a single tread pattern from each of the 5 major (Truggy) tyre brands:
-AKA ‘Impact’
-J Concepts ‘Subculture’
-Proline ‘Blockade’
-Sweep ‘Square Armor’
-VP Pro ‘Cutoff’
Old 07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by smelly62
This is whats proposed.

In summary, the proposal nominates a single tread pattern from each of the 5 major (Truggy) tyre brands:
-AKA ‘Impact’
-J Concepts ‘Subculture’
-Proline ‘Blockade’
-Sweep ‘Square Armor’
-VP Pro ‘Cutoff’
Why are you guys talking about this? I raced indoor carpet with spec tires and we did it for two reasons.

1) The best tires were near impossible to get and if you did not have them you saw it in your lap times.

2) The hobby shop stocked the spec tire so they could make some money off the racers.

This worked out great for all involved. But that was on road carpet.

Track conditions change drastically for outdoor off road and tire choice is critical. I'm curious why you all are thinking about going down this road.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

The people putting this proposal forward are doing so in an effort to reduce cost's to the drivers and make for a more even playing field.

I think it wont work but when things like this are voted on the ignorant vote yes and it happens when it might not be the best way to move forward.

I am just interested at this time to find out why it hasn't been adopted in other parts of the World.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smelly62
The people putting this proposal forward are doing so in an effort to reduce cost's to the drivers and make for a more even playing field.
Sorry, don't mean to sound obnoxious... just curious how exactly it 'reduces cost' according to the people at your track?

Maybe it's only the certain same people every week, but if someone shows up for the first time, are you going to say "sorry, you can't race... don't have the right tires"? Or, "go drop $60usd at the hobby shop and come back"?

Even better... would they control the compound too? If you guys choose, say an AKA Grid Iron, what is going to keep people from going out and buying all four compounds (SS, S, M, H)? That is $240usd someone would drop instantly. And then proceed to try all four sets every weekend thinking they'll get a different result, wearing them out, and continuously stocking up.

In 1:1 racing, controlled tires are only "cost savings" to teams because of one of two factors: 1) you are only allowed so many sets (teams can't buy more), 2) putting new tires on costs track position, so there's not always incentive to change tires. In R/C, neither of these are really applicable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.