Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi 2.0 Buggy Kit Build >

Losi 2.0 Buggy Kit Build

Losi 2.0 Buggy Kit Build

Old 07-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Losi 2.0 Buggy Kit Build

Hi,

I have started work on my Losi 2.0 buggy. This is my first kit build so I will probably have a few questions along the way so any help from the more experienced folks out there would be greatly appreciated.

My first question regards the front diff. I built the diff as per the instructions and it seems a little stiff. The diff is basically not moving freely. Will the diff loosen up when I start running it or is it best to do a rebuild?

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It's hard to tell what you are talking about. Is it built and in the case with the driveshaft installed? If it's just the diff out of the case it should feel kinda tight when you are turning it. Once in the case with shaft installed it should turn nice and smooth.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Tech Rookie

The diff is assembled, in the housing, drive shaft attached and mounted on the chassis.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey brizzybear!! I recently just built my first nitro buggy kit also a losi 8ight 2.0!! I had that problem to, i just very slighty backed off the 4 screws where the crown gear gets attached, the oil wnt leak out cos its only very slight, i had a slight high or notchy point in the diff but i think it will break in once installed it in the car it felt real smooth.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brizzybear
The diff is assembled, in the housing, drive shaft attached and mounted on the chassis.
What diff fluid did you use. And how many shims are behind each sun gear ( the ones that attach to the out drive).

If you did it by the instructions, it will take a good 30-45 minutes of running to seat everything in and loosen up. As long as you did it right you should be ok. Just pullit apart after 45 minutes of running and re-check/ clean and refill.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey brizzybear!! i also just recently bought my first buggy kit also a losi 8ight 2.0!! I had the same problem but i think it is because uve overtightened the four screws where the crown gear gets attached to the rest of the diff, i noticed it was binding on mine also so i just backed them off a tick and it was tight but could still move freely, once installed in the car my car felt smooth and there was no binding
Old 07-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Tech Rookie

I used 7000 w losi oil as supplied with the kit and used 1 shim as per the manual. The diff is working it just feels a bit tight. I built the centre diff last night and it feels pretty similar so it may just be a case of running them in.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

When ever you build a new diff it should have a notchy feel you should feel the high spots as you turn. Once you start running thing will wear for a tight fit if you shim loose then you will having clicking noises you will be replacing diff parts frequently. The rear diff on the 8ight needs to be shimmed correctly some guys have a hard time cause they do it wrong. The diff should have no side to side play.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Thats what it felt like when i first built my kit. All you have to do is after you get everything installed run it on track or at your house. Then i would replace all outdrives and the traction and ability of the diffs ill show. It s hould free up over time. The manual kinda goes over what i talked about if you needed some more info
Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

These type of questions should go in the 8ight 2.0 thread. No need to start a new one. Thanks