Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Question on rough driving.... >

Question on rough driving....

Question on rough driving....

Old 06-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Phend made a couple mistakes that put him in that situation. The pass in the end happened real fast, and looked unavoidable. Awesome young talent out there.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tex1
I loved the race. Both guys running hard and driving their butts off. That is what it is about.

I'm sure Ty did not do it on purpose. Like I said, that question is irrelevant.
In real car racing that is known as getting passed (when you put your whole car in front of another driver under control).

I'm just simply observing Ty did not have the right of way under any racing rules that I know of. Stating that Ty had the right of way would have been incorrect if Phend would have brought the challenge.

Anyways great race.

What I'm gathering here is if you get passed and its close, then it would be OK to tap the guy out of the way and win the race. I know there are organizations out there that will not call it.

The question was if Phend could have questioned there being a no call.

Interesting... but fun.
TEX
Had this contact been only 10 mins into the race Ty would've pulled aside and let Phend continue. You don't have the line if someone is on it in front of you requardless of how slow or whatever many guys here claim. Needless to say, I didn't like what Ty did. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but the fact still remains.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoePit
Phend made a couple mistakes that put him in that situation. The pass in the end happened real fast, and looked unavoidable. Awesome young talent out there.
The courtesy thereafter wasn't.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

First Off Im a TLR FAN.....

Dakota had the lead for a LONG time. He was clearly the fastest. But the last 4-5 mins he made plenty of mistakes and TY was just on his game. Ty did NOTHING wrong at all. That was NOT a punt at all. Dakota went into the last turn way to hot and had to slam on his brakes to get her to turn.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Johnieblaze
Had this contact been only 10 mins into the race Ty would've pulled aside and let Phend continue. You don't have the line if someone is on it in front of you requardless of how slow or whatever many guys here claim. Needless to say, I didn't like what Ty did. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but the fact still remains.

I'm not pulling over if I lightly bump someone that has a case of the "crashies". I just want them to go away and let me run my clean race. Try to put some distance between them and my car, so the case of "crashies" deosn't wreck my entire days progress. If he can clear his head and catch up cleanly, so be it. Then we can race.

If I bump someone trying to run clean, I'll let them back by in the next corner by going wide/deep. But I'm not waiting for someone that's just going to keep flipping over in front of me and possibly take me out.

Really, the third place driver was the one that should have won. This is why I prefer king sized turn marshals.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

It's not like Phend is going to make a complaint anyway. They are both top level drivers and most likely have huge respect for each other after that race.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro Tiger
Looks to me that Phend pushed (over shot) a little into the last turn, Ty ducked inside with a very little tap, nothing wrong with that.
Big +1. Phend pushed hard for the pass and he did, but it was temporary because he had too much forward momentum to hug the turn tight. Ty took the racing line and their paths crossed briefly. If you watch closely, Ty barly tapped Phend. Phend's car did not get out of shape or anything. Ty was also on the brakes to prevent his contact with Phend. Once Phend's momentum continued Ty was able to continue his original line and win the race.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

that was a very clean pass... seen that done many times.. not a take out move just a speed difference causing them to get together.. clean clean clean in my eyes.. jeremy
Old 06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Now, what do the rules say? I could only find 5.13.4.7 in the roar handbook stating "Deliberate abusive nerfing, bumping, or blocking.
" as a reason for disqualification but that's very superficial.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
As far as I know, during the entire event, there were no drive thru penalties handed out. Sort of hard to believe with 280+ entries.

In one of the Qualifiers, one driver nerfed another off the track. Then he waited for the him (good sportsmanship). But as the offended vehicle came up, he knocked him off the track again (no penalty). ROAR rarely, if ever, hands out rough driving penalties. They don't enforce like IFMAR. I've seen this at most of the big races.

At the last Worlds, Hara did just about the same thing (maybe less) to Tebo and got a drive thru, go figure.
There was at least one in the buggy semi's for rough driving. All other drive through penalties were for either jumping the start or the vehicle not being placed into the square on the starting grid for the vehicle.

I was on the drivers stand for all racing and I can say there was not one thought in anyone's mind at the track about the final corner being any type of rough driving. Phend had the inside on entrance and Ty the outside and they essentially swapped on exit due to apexing differently.

Last edited by jmackani; 06-25-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnieblaze
agreed both awesome young drivers with plenty of years ahead of them in the sport

honestly though in real car racing you cant bump a car off line to allow a pass and in the real world the leading car is the one the has the right to turn into the corner with out being hit from behind to push him off line , if the car behind gains advantage then it should be re-addressed

its a hard call and i am happy the results stand but it could have easy gone the other way IMO what a great race though
Old 06-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Oh man

In the last few turns of the Nationals I would say that was an awesome pass.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

"honestly though in real car racing you cant bump a car off line to allow a pass and in the real world the leading car is the one the has the right to turn into the corner with out being hit from behind to push him off line , if the car behind gains advantage then it should be re-addressed"

I dunno. See the bump draft in NASCAR all the time where guys get pushed off line for a pass. Never seen it called unless the Leader gets wrecked and even then it may not get called. Though NASCAR top brass has tried to get rid of bump drafting, it's still being done.

With the statement above, if you're the leader you're untouchable, no matter what and if you are "touched" you'll be handed the lead/win back. Not a sound logic to me for all cases.

If you're the leader and you blow a corner wide, you can't just turn in to the 2nd place car on the inside simply because you were the leader going in to the corner. Likewise, the second place driver on the inside can't or shouldn't just turn in to the leader on the outside for a pass.

Neither was the case here. The "bump' in question was just that a bump. No harm no foul. Happens all the time. If there was cause for a protest, I'm sure it would have been done. Clearly, there are those that, if in that position, would have protested just to protest.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Initiate

rubin's racin but someone always takes it to far
Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (97%+)

Really, this thread is pointless now. It was a race.. No, he didnt do it on purpose.. I laugh at the people who think it was intentional. I mean come on.. They both flew into the turn, they were probably going to touch regardless. This shouldnt even be a debate. You guys are funny

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.