Community
Wiki Posts
Search

basic setup for noob racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default basic setup for noob racing

hi all. theres a race meet tomorrow ar my local track provided we dont get rained out.
im hoping to race for the first time, but not sure what else i might need as i wouldnt want something small ending my day.
i have the associated rc8 race spec, but the rtr fm radio was crap. the trigger wont return to neutral position on its own, guessing the spring is broken so took it as an opertunity to upgrade to 2.4 ghz. what i got is the hitec srx pro with atom receiver. seems to have all the bells and whistles abs, sub trim etc etc. works good. i have two sets of rechargables for the tx, and 1 reedy lipo 2s 7.4v + an additional zippy lipo the same. im told one lipo reciver battery will easily go all day so should be good with two.
the stock throttle servo died within 1 tank stripped gears so replaced that with a hobao h-102 metal geared hi speed/torque job. the stock steering servo is metal geared already so should be ok for a while.
to keep the batterys good i have a multifunction lipo/life/mih/nicad/lead acid charger with balance function. its 12/24v so is good for at the track.
the engine has around 15 tanks through it and is now starting to scream hard, im sure i could lean it a heap more but honestly think itll be over the top as traction is already difficult to modulate with the throttle. its a .28 size.
should there anything else i might need to grab? i have tools, air cleaner oil etc. starter has 1 2200 ma nicad hopefully it lasts the hole day.
cheers all.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

U will need high voltage servos to run lipo or a regator or they will fry. The rtr servos are bad I would recommend buying nice costly servos and u won't need to worry at all. Also next I would invest in a engine. .28 is to big for buggy and fuel mileage is bad. Get a .21 nothing pricey but good like a novarossi p5xlt etc. other then that just have fun and work your way up. Just drive don't try to keep up. You will fall in love.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Make sure you have a spare glow plug and that your glow plug starter is fully charged.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Tech Initiate

was the most fun ive had in years. no breakage, servos still live(no reg), first race ran out of juice at 5 m, tuned a bit more and getting around 7 minutes from a tank. already looking at a novarossi .21 and some better shocks. love it
Old 06-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sprattz
was the most fun ive had in years. no breakage, servos still live(no reg), first race ran out of juice at 5 m, tuned a bit more and getting around 7 minutes from a tank. already looking at a novarossi .21 and some better shocks. love it
Racing is quite addictive

Have fun