Wiki Posts
Search

Older 1/8th scale buggies

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Older 1/8th scale buggies

Are older 1/8th scale buggies any good for racing at a club race? what i mean by older is a buggie that is 4 to 5 yrs old now but still runs pretty decent.The reason i am asking is i have a ofna ultra lx1 pro thats in good shape for its age and still runs strong for what it is. I do know it wont set the world on fire compaired to what is out there running now days but maybe i might do ok for a club race type thing. any opinions good or bad please post Thank You
Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That was never a race car even 4-5 years ago. It will be fine for bashing around the track but don't expect to find any parts for it anywhere.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Race it! Even an RTR with a good setup and driver I'm sure can do well. Besides, what else are you going to do with it? Especially for club races..Don't let peeps on here discourage you. I still race an mp777 SP2 (5-6 years old) and haven't outgrown the car yet, because my skills are still coming up. Just make sure you have spares, or parts from other 1/8th scales you can file-to-fit...Keep us posted on your progress!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...-OFNA-Ultra-LX
Old 06-20-2012, 05:22 AM
pgk
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by likeaboss
Race it! Even an RTR with a good setup and driver I'm sure can do well. Besides, what else are you going to do with it? Especially for club races..Don't let peeps on here discourage you. I still race an mp777 SP2 (5-6 years old) and haven't outgrown the car yet, because my skills are still coming up. Just make sure you have spares, or parts from other 1/8th scales you can file-to-fit...Keep us posted on your progress!

+1 you think yours is old I'm still using two MP 7.5's! lol... I converted one to brushless and dropped in a Werks B6 Pro in the other, both are very fast... (: My hand eye cordination isn't worth a darn so a MP 9 tki3 would do me much good, I have fun with what I have.. Your mileage may vary..

Pete
Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by mojo 309
Are older 1/8th scale buggies any good for racing at a club race? what i mean by older is a buggie that is 4 to 5 yrs old now but still runs pretty decent.The reason i am asking is i have a ofna ultra lx1 pro thats in good shape for its age and still runs strong for what it is. I do know it wont set the world on fire compaired to what is out there running now days but maybe i might do ok for a club race type thing. any opinions good or bad please post Thank You
If you race for having fun, go race your old Ultra LX, it is a durable buggy. After, you can always buy a better buggy if you get hook (you will) to buggy racing.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

What else am i going to do with it ? is a very good point. I found this ofna lx1 pro in a yard sale acouple weeks ago paid 25.00 bucks for it and the steering servo that was in it was junk so i put a new servo and a new gas tank fuel lines glow plug.The car itself has a .21 3.5 big block motor with a nova race pro force-26 head ajustable oiled filled shocks front and rear sway bars blue front and rear alumunim shock towers and blue alumunim upper braces from front to rear of the chassie,the front upper and lower A-arms have been converted to the pivet ball set up,granted its still a older buggie.Now for a few more questions,what wht shock oil should be used,diff oils,and will the newer style bodys fit on it and the newer style wheels and tires work on it?Thank You for your opinins and replys.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

The difference is the MP777 is a race car, just an older one. The Ofna never was a race chassis. I'd tell him to drive all he wants but would probably be better off buying a year or 2 old race car for cheap.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mojo 309
What else am i going to do with it ? is a very good point. I found this ofna lx1 pro in a yard sale acouple weeks ago paid 25.00 bucks for it and the steering servo that was in it was junk so i put a new servo and a new gas tank fuel lines glow plug.The car itself has a .21 3.5 big block motor with a nova race pro force-26 head ajustable oiled filled shocks front and rear sway bars blue front and rear alumunim shock towers and blue alumunim upper braces from front to rear of the chassie,the front upper and lower A-arms have been converted to the pivet ball set up,granted its still a older buggie.Now for a few more questions,what wht shock oil should be used,diff oils,and will the newer style bodys fit on it and the newer style wheels and tires work on it?Thank You for your opinins and replys.
Here is an example of what I was thinking. Since it was never a race car there isn't going to be much data on setups either. You are kinda on your own. Your best bet is to put like 45 in the front 40 in rear shocks. Diffs 5k front, 7k center, 3k rear. For bodies probably some MBX 5 bodies will fit, but probably not the newer cab forward bodies.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCmayor
That was never a race car even 4-5 years ago. It will be fine for bashing around the track but don't expect to find any parts for it anywhere.

100% FALSE. Ofna parts have Always been available Even for the Older Discontinued models.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/OFNA-Parts_c_316.html
Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Integra
100% FALSE. Ofna parts have Always been available Even for the Older Discontinued models.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/OFNA-Parts_c_316.html
I'm talking about on any hobby store shelves. Of course Nitrohouse would have parts, they are the importer.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

I just sold my LX1 pro a few months ago, and i took it to the track pretty much every race weekend last year. It is super easy to drive, but the shocks on those old buggies are the biggest weakness, you almost have to have big bore shocks on 1/8 scale. So you had to be careful on the bigger jumps.

Lot of the LX1 parts are still available, if you just do a quick search on ebay, you can pretty much find every part. I had no issues finding parts for it.

So yeah, race it.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Fieldmarshal
I just sold my LX1 pro a few months ago, and i took it to the track pretty much every race weekend last year. It is super easy to drive, but the shocks on those old buggies are the biggest weakness, you almost have to have big bore shocks on 1/8 scale. So you had to be careful on the bigger jumps.

Lot of the LX1 parts are still available, if you just do a quick search on ebay, you can pretty much find every part. I had no issues finding parts for it.

So yeah, race it.
So what shock oils is good for the ofna lx1 pro? i know it wont be as fast as the newer buggies out there it might even be a tank on the track but it would be something to run at a club race or to have some fun with wouldnt it? does the newer style wheels and tires work on the lx1 pro?.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Tech Regular

Will any of the newer style1/8th buggie bodys fit on the ofna ultra lx1 pro? if so who makes it and whats the name of the body Thanks