Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Is the RC8T CE still relevant and competitive? >

Is the RC8T CE still relevant and competitive?

Is the RC8T CE still relevant and competitive?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Is the RC8T CE still relevant and competitive?

I have moved away from RC racing for a couple years and I am ready to return and get back at it!
I last had the RC8T CE and I loved it. That was at the end of 2010 tho. Is the RC8T CE still competitive and relevant or should I look to something more up to date and newer? Is Associated going to release a new truggy anytime soon?
Thx.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The RC8T has had no problem winning races for AE. No news on a newer version, but anything is possible.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattyb13 View Post
I have moved away from RC racing for a couple years and I am ready to return and get back at it!
I last had the RC8T CE and I loved it. That was at the end of 2010 tho. Is the RC8T CE still competitive and relevant or should I look to something more up to date and newer? Is Associated going to release a new truggy anytime soon?
Thx.
Its still kickin ass. Would take it over a losi or d8t any day. Although the new durango truggy is very sexy.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Prophet

Lol yes its competitive still its winning races at local tracks and i won two races this year with it as electric though .
Out of the box the RC8TCE is competive but using 3k to 5" k in the rear diff i think.

But its long overdue for some upgrades like a longer rear end on the chassis and some little stuff.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The truck is still out there doing work,

It's still a solid truck to race with. It does have it's issues and things that do or should stand for some updates. But you can say that about a lot of trucks out there.

Maybe some day AE will do something with it, but as long as the Ryan's are still doing well with it, I wouldn't count on it. Yet, you never know. AE can be pretty sneaky when they want to be.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

I'd rather have a better built truggy. I'd choose the Mugen over the AE every day and twice on sunday.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Competitive? Sure it is! The RC8T still winning for sure!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
I'd rather have a better built truggy. I'd choose the Mugen over the AE every day and twice on sunday.

What, are you comparing a truck you built to one built by somebody else?..

And really, nobody should be comparing Mugen quality to Associated. Associated is very much in the same league. But oh yeah, they don't break arms if you breath on them...

ps Ha-ha.. Just noticed your name. I hope you don't really drive a Mugen ha ha... You'd have to add an asterisk..
Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

well in short , the Associated Line is still right there.....
like ANY of the line of cars and trucks on the market.....
there all very good.....
comes down to parts availability etc. etc.
if you just order online then "Any car on the Market is "Perfect"
"Fanboyz" will always pick there "Own"...
and good Advice from them will seem to "Lack"

a driver with "Talent" and Skill can take ANY car and make it look good.
but even a Perfect Car can't ever make Bad driver look good !!
and watch out for the "Wagon-Jumpers"
they jump on the latest and newest to see if it can make them better!
there motto: "If it Can't make me Winner out of the box it's no Good!"

but the Associated RC8T-CE still a killer truck !!
properly set up to the drivers "Needs" the AE is right there with all the rest.

you wont be disapointed..........get it,build it,drive it SMILE !!!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
What, are you comparing a truck you built to one built by somebody else?..

And really, nobody should be comparing Mugen quality to Associated. Associated is very much in the same league. But oh yeah, they don't break arms if you breath on them...

QUOTE]
My RC8 was a turd. A fast turd, but a turd none the less. I spent hours trying to polish it and only got my hands dirty. Plastic wore too quick, broke tons of arms, too heavy and fat. It was tedious to work on as well.

It was a fine car, but it's a bit old and obsolete looking to me now. Id rather run Serpent, Kyosho, Mugen, Xray.

Have you ever even sat your AE next to a Mugen? The Mugens Arms are still tougher than the AE arms (which IME are the weakest of all race buggies I've driven, followed closely by Hot Bodies Rubbery arms that spit hinge pins) The drivetrain and plastics on the Mugen are just in another league. AE can't even mold a fuel tank reliably.

Some people have broken Mugen arms, but I hardly see an epidemic of that. The rest of the car is a tank.

I switched to Xray's XB9 and will never look back. My backup Xray 808 has double the hours my RC8 had when my RC8 needed rebuilt completely. My 808 still feels new. Only need to replace the drive pins and the body again.

I had a steady order of parts from Amain flowing into my RC8 weekly. My Xrays have really only worn out bodies, fluids, drive pins, and bearings. My parts inventory is allmost 0. Usually I can scalp a part off my backup 808 when I wreck something.

Is the RC8 still fast? Sure.
Would I recommnend it anymore? No, there are better options.

Do I consider the RC8 to require upkeep and parts replacement too frequently? Yes, absolutely. I'm not a rich man and constant parts replacement hurts bad and wastes time I should be practicing.

Why didn't I recommend an Xray? Because Xray deosn't make a truggy. The next best thing IMO is Mugen.

Do I care that Mayfield wins with Ae consistantly? Not really, I'm not Mayfield, and I've never even seen most of the tracks he's raced on.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 06-20-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

The very first generation of RC8 buggies maybe had some problems, but that was what, five years ago. 8th scale Associateds are very tough and the quality is good - arms, drivetrain, you name it.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

The RC8Tce is just as relevant and competitive as most top tier Truggies available. The cost for what you get included in the RC8Tce kit is very good, and the durability is right up there with anything else...even Zerodefect's ultimate favorite by Mugen.

One thing I've noticed is that the AE kits seem to flex more instead of breaking...but that can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Any kit is good though that isn't one of the cheap brands. AE, Losi, Mugen, Serpent, Hot Bodies.....they are all really well made and competitive.

I imagine there's an RC8.2T coming in the next year or so, but maybe not. The current RC8T still wins races all the time.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Prophet

[QUOTE=Zerodefect;10882738]
My RC8 was a turd. A fast turd, but a turd none the less. I spent hours trying to polish it and only got my hands dirty. Plastic wore too quick, broke tons of arms, too heavy and fat. It was tedious to work on as well.

It was a fine car, but it's a bit old and obsolete looking to me now. Id rather run Serpent, Kyosho, Mugen, Xray.

Have you ever even sat your AE next to a Mugen? The Mugens Arms are still tougher than the AE arms (which IME are the weakest of all race buggies I've driven, followed closely by Hot Bodies Rubbery arms that spit hinge pins) The drivetrain and plastics on the Mugen are just in another league. AE can't even mold a fuel tank reliably.

Some people have broken Mugen arms, but I hardly see an epidemic of that. The rest of the car is a tank.

I switched to Xray's XB9 and will never look back. My backup Xray 808 has double the hours my RC8 had when my RC8 needed rebuilt completely. My 808 still feels new. Only need to replace the drive pins and the body again.

I had a steady order of parts from Amain flowing into my RC8 weekly. My Xrays have really only worn out bodies, fluids, drive pins, and bearings. My parts inventory is allmost 0. Usually I can scalp a part off my backup 808 when I wreck something.

Do I consider the RC8 to require upkeep and parts replacement too frequently? Yes, absolutely. I'm not a rich man and constant parts replacement hurts bad and wastes time I should be practicing.

Why didn't I recommend an Xray? Because Xray deosn't make a truggy. The next best thing IMO is Mugen.

Do I care that Mayfield wins with Ae consistantly? Not really, I'm not Mayfield, and I've never even seen most of the tracks he's raced on.

The current line of rc8t/rc8s are way better and stronger than when they first came out omg. The wear rate is not that bad on them ok yea the shock bushings do wear kind of fast but there dirt cheap . The drivetrain wears pretty good theres not a lot of slop in the supension or steering .

Trust me man i remember racing back when the first RC8 came out and man they were not strong it did scare me off lucky Associated noticed it
Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1BLADE1 View Post
well in short , the Associated Line is still right there.....
like ANY of the line of cars and trucks on the market.....
there all very good.....
comes down to parts availability etc. etc.
if you just order online then "Any car on the Market is "Perfect"
"Fanboyz" will always pick there "Own"...
and good Advice from them will seem to "Lack"

a driver with "Talent" and Skill can take ANY car and make it look good.
but even a Perfect Car can't ever make Bad driver look good !!
and watch out for the "Wagon-Jumpers"
they jump on the latest and newest to see if it can make them better!
there motto: "If it Can't make me Winner out of the box it's no Good!"

but the Associated RC8T-CE still a killer truck !!
properly set up to the drivers "Needs" the AE is right there with all the rest.

you wont be disapointed..........get it,build it,drive it SMILE !!!!!

Great points like always Blade. These " Fan boys " crack me up
Old 06-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Zerodefect;10882738]

From what I can tell from this post is you are comparing the OLD RC8 car to Mugen which obviously you have KNOW knowledge of the new car. The new car is a tank and the plastics are very good and dont ware fast. i have yet to replace or break any arms and my car has over 10 gals on it. the RC8T is very durable truck imo and is still competitive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.