Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
HPI Super Nitro RS4 Rally >

HPI Super Nitro RS4 Rally

HPI Super Nitro RS4 Rally

Old 06-06-2012, 02:54 PM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
IH8VTEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WLV, CA
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default HPI Super Nitro RS4 Rally



Starting the SNR build up. Upgrade up? Mess around is pretty accurate too. Just counting the days until the WR8 arrives. Should be here this week. Not sure how it will stack up to this original SNR, I think this is one of Hpi's greats. Just the fact that Hpi is releasing another nitro rally in the face of brushless and the gas motor around the corner is amazing.

I intend to build this as I do most of my builds, a combo of performance and looks mostly in that order. I do drive this SNR but am also aware of the fact I may never see anymore replacement parts, EVER. I snatched up any new old stock the lhs had and found what I could on ebay and got to cross referencing on Hpi's online instruction manuals. Please feel free to add anything in the way of SNR tips, tricks, pics, stories, parts for sale.

Here is what I am doing.


how it started. snrs4 carcass in the background


15fe still in good shape. could use a 2 needle carb.





Last edited by IH8VTEC; 08-07-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added pics
IH8VTEC is offline  
Old 06-06-2012, 10:36 PM
  #2  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
IH8VTEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WLV, CA
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default starting the build

Put the SNRS4 together. A friend found me both cars, one locally and one on ebay.



first mod, slipper spur gear.






while I was taking things apart, why not add carbon graphite?


good shot of the "ofna throttle mod" commonly used on savages.

Last edited by IH8VTEC; 06-06-2012 at 10:51 PM.
IH8VTEC is offline  
Old 06-06-2012, 10:50 PM
  #3  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
IH8VTEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WLV, CA
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default ERCM

Had this pipe laying around for awhile, looks really good, sounds great. The car performs really well and feels strong. The single needle thing is really weird for me. I tune it for good top end and the bottom is off. Tune it for bottom and the top is screwy. The balance I've found is ok bottom and pretty good top, nice smoke and not too hot. It's kind of a dog on the low end but screams to the top and tops out. I bought a 2 speed at my lhs but haven't messed around with it yet. I'd like to get the G3.0 in there. I might just save the 3.0 as a backup for my WR8 3.0. Any engine insight would be appreciated. What fits as drop in?

ERCM




222SB




new header, black coupler, better air filter, pipe support from a savage.

Last edited by IH8VTEC; 06-07-2012 at 10:28 AM.
IH8VTEC is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 01:24 AM
  #4  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
IH8VTEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WLV, CA
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Universals

Since the SNR and the Nitro MT share a bunch of parts, namely the chassis and everthing inboard including the drivetrain, I expanded my search and found more parts. Some were labeled SNR/MT and some were just MT. This is where the Hpi website comes in handy. Cross referencing part numbers show you what fits, some cars option part is anothers standard part.

mt universals. front and rear. perfect fit.




front done


rear was a little more involved but also a perfect fit. another nice shot of the slipper.




What prompted my search for driveshaft universals was the front left dogbone slipping out and re engaging randomly. I read the diff cup was too short due to the offset of the diff. The solution was to buy slightly longer diff cups from the Nitro Rush. I bought 2 sets just in case. The universals were parts for the SNRS4.


oh no! don't worry hpi, we got this.




time to open some diffs.


rush diff cups are heavy duty. these should last a long time. I hope.


done....


...and installed.


beautiful, look at all that efficiency!


oh perfect! love when things work out!


the fronts fit fine, why would they say not for the rear SNR?


oh, that's why. bummer dude.


well, good thing I bought 2 sets of diff cups. used 30k weight in diffs front and rear. not even sure they are sealed diffs...


omg, I need to high five myself for buying two sets of diff cups. I saved my day. perfect fit


last thing to round out the drivetrain is the lightweight flywheel and racing clutch.


kind of ready to go.


flywheel is just a hair thinner and fixed a clearance issue with the thick fiber brake.

Last edited by IH8VTEC; 06-07-2012 at 10:33 AM.
IH8VTEC is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 11:27 PM
  #5  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
IH8VTEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WLV, CA
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Touch ups

Added some minor upgrades.

new cooling head, much better.




changed out the c hub for an extra aluminum set I had.






those shocks are next.



spur gear cover from another kit, firestorm I think.
IH8VTEC is offline  
Old 06-08-2012, 08:59 AM
  #6  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
IH8VTEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WLV, CA
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Shocks

These are the aluminum upgrades for the Blitz SCT. The shock length was a match front and rear. Not sure how the weights compare as I don't have a Blitz but it seems the SCT is much lighter. I had to wind in a bunch of preload to get stock ride height. Might look for stiffer springs, might not.



front kit


these were a bit shorter(7-10mm) than the (not stock) shocks that were up front. here you can see the preload, I think I added even more after driving.


rear shocks


perfect swap, comes with mounting hardware and extra hardware. I think I only used one parts tree for both sets since front and rear used different parts from the same tree. I only used one bottle of shock oil for both sets too. preload not added here.




how the car sits now. you can see the preload added to all shocks, used it all.
IH8VTEC is offline  
Old 06-12-2012, 01:36 AM
  #7  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 69
Default

Hi thanks for this thread...I just picked up a SN Rally and know nothing about it so I appreciate the info here as it gives me a sense of direction for parts and upgrades. Also the guy I bought my SNR told me the HPI T3.0 drops right into this chassis due to the cast in place engine mounts.

I will be following this thread so don't hesitate to update!!

also found this page for NMT/SNR tips. Very useful for me so far
csb510 is offline  
Old 06-12-2012, 10:00 AM
  #8  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
IH8VTEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WLV, CA
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Nice score on the SNR! They are definitely hard to come by and replacement parts and upgrades are even harder. A lot of the Nitro RS4 MT parts will fit the rally and some of the SNRS4 parts. Here is a link to Hpi's info on the SNR.

The T3.0 is the same motor case as the G3.0, it does not have molded in mounts. My G3.0 came with purple aluminum motor mounts. The difference between the two motors is the power delivery, I read the G is for off road and the T is for onroad, and the crankshaft. The G3.0 has a longer shaft where as the T has a much shorter shaft. I am having trouble fitting the G in my SNR. The pullstart interferes with the rear shock tower support. I'm not sure if the T would work any better. I am using the flywheel, clutch and clutchbell from a Firestorm.

trying to fit the G3.0 in there.
IH8VTEC is offline  
Old 06-12-2012, 10:10 AM
  #9  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
IH8VTEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WLV, CA
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default New addition, WR8 3.0

I added a new car to the collection and thought I'd share. I started a new thread for it over here.

here is a peek






WR8 body on the SNR
IH8VTEC is offline  
Old 06-12-2012, 01:41 PM
  #10  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 69
Default

Originally Posted by IH8VTEC View Post
Nice score on the SNR! They are definitely hard to come by and replacement parts and upgrades are even harder. A lot of the Nitro RS4 MT parts will fit the rally and some of the SNRS4 parts.
Tell me about it. I actually came across the SNR on Craigslist with radio but engine presumed useless. Took it home, engine and carb was severely gunked up but half an hour tearing it down and putting it back together and it was as good as new.

I think I have spent an entire day scouring the internet for parts and reference manuals on HPI's site. We (all 10 of us SNR owners LOL) need a database of confirmed parts that are interchangeable between the SNR/NMT and NMT2 and RS4 3. I know just by looking at the instruction manuals that many parts appear (at least in the technical drawings) the same physically but the part numbers throw me off. Probably due to material upgrades HPI used to make them more durable.

Am I safe to assume the gearboxes for the NMT 2/RS4 3 are interchangeable with the SNR/NMT???

The WR8 looks sweet....it better be as the release date has been pushed back so far!!
csb510 is offline  
Old 06-12-2012, 02:26 PM
  #11  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
IH8VTEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WLV, CA
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by csb510 View Post

Am I safe to assume the gearboxes for the NMT 2/RS4 3 are interchangeable with the SNR/NMT???
They certainly do look the same. I can't say for sure but Hpi is a big fan of using parts across many ranges of their cars. One thing I look at is bearing sizes and other parts that go into an assembly. The fact that it uses diff cup A559 and bearings B030 and B022 would make me believe they are similar enough to work. You never know if they have changed screw placement slightly of some other minute detail.

If your lhs has the parts tree in stock you may be able to see if it fits. Are your diffs shot?
IH8VTEC is offline  
Old 06-12-2012, 02:32 PM
  #12  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 69
Default

Originally Posted by IH8VTEC View Post
They certainly do look the same. I can't say for sure but Hpi is a big fan of using parts across many ranges of their cars. One thing I look at is bearing sizes and other parts that go into an assembly. The fact that it uses diff cup A559 and bearings B030 and B022 would make me believe they are similar enough to work. You never know if they have changed screw placement slightly of some other minute detail.

If your lhs has the parts tree in stock you may be able to see if it fits. Are your diffs shot?
I'm not sure if my diffs need replacing...I just want some aluminum goodies and the only ones I could find are listed for NMT2 / RS4 3!
csb510 is offline  
Old 06-12-2012, 02:39 PM
  #13  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
IH8VTEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WLV, CA
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by csb510 View Post
I'm not sure if my diffs need replacing...I just want some aluminum goodies and the only ones I could find are listed for NMT2 / RS4 3!
I see. Well, it would probably work but then you might be out of luck and have to re sell them if not. I bought many parts that didn't fit my RS4 PRO when I rebuilt it. The C hubs in my rally were originally for my PRO and didn't fit.
IH8VTEC is offline  
Old 06-13-2012, 12:30 AM
  #14  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 69
Default

Originally Posted by IH8VTEC View Post
The T3.0 is the same motor case as the G3.0, it does not have molded in mounts. My G3.0 came with purple aluminum motor mounts. The difference between the two motors is the power delivery, I read the G is for off road and the T is for onroad, and the crankshaft. The G3.0 has a longer shaft where as the T has a much shorter shaft. I am having trouble fitting the G in my SNR. The pullstart interferes with the rear shock tower support. I'm not sure if the T would work any better. I am using the flywheel, clutch and clutchbell from a Firestorm.
Just to retouch on the issues you are having with your G3.0 engine... I just skimmed through both manuals for the T3.0 and G3.0 and found that the T3.0 does in fact have mounts molded into the engine case. Also the pull start assembly for the T3.0 (#15126) is slimmer (in depth) than the G3.0 (#1428) by about 5.8mm. This may be the solution to your problem. See attachment.

As soon as I blow this 15FE engine up on my SNR I will upgrade to a T3.0. In the meanwhile, I'm anxiously waiting for my new wheels/tires and aluminum upgrades.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Super Nitro RS4 Rally-t3.0-vs-g3.0.jpg  
csb510 is offline  
Old 06-13-2012, 12:52 AM
  #15  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
IH8VTEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WLV, CA
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by csb510 View Post
Just to retouch on the issues you are having with your G3.0 engine... I just skimmed through both manuals for the T3.0 and G3.0 and found that the T3.0 does in fact have mounts molded into the engine case. Also the pull start assembly for the T3.0 (#15126) is slimmer (in depth) than the G3.0 (#1428) by about 5.8mm. This may be the solution to your problem. See attachment.

As soon as I blow this 15FE engine up on my SNR I will upgrade to a T3.0. In the meanwhile, I'm anxiously waiting for my new wheels/tires and aluminum upgrades.
Wow, they are completely different motors. Good find. The T might work. I'm looking for a drawing of the 15FE to see if the clutch bell will line up.
IH8VTEC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.