Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Super Nitro RS4 Rally

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I wondered how far off the MT2 is from the MT and SNR. A lot of the parts say not for MT. How about using the pin screws for the MT2's drive cups? http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/86094/
Old 06-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

I have the same set of wheels and tires. Not looking forward to the mounting. I did one and it was pretty difficult. I think I'm going to put the rims in the freezer and soften the tires in hot water.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by IH8VTEC
I wondered how far off the MT2 is from the MT and SNR. A lot of the parts say not for MT. How about using the pin screws for the MT2's drive cups? http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/86094/
Thanks for the link! I will have to keep that part# in mind if these cups don't hold up.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:49 AM
Tech Regular

You motivated me to put my Tamiya Rally Blocks on. It was time, the Hpi wheels were hard and bald. It was like driving a drift car. I didn't glue my tires, not sure I'll need to.

tamiya tgx rally block tires on hpi grey mesh wheels

Last edited by IH8VTEC; 08-02-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Wow, I can't believe I stumbled onto this thread while searching for parts to rebuild my snr. Let us rare snr owners unite!!

Old 08-02-2012, 02:19 AM
Tech Regular

Nice looking car! I bet it's fast with the O.S.

Looks like it's in good shape. Is this after the rebuild? What parts are you looking for?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Yea, this is after the rebuild recently and I'm still trying to work out some kinks. The car originally was completely stock except with a two speed transmission. I shredded the spur gear teeth not too long ago so I began taking it apart. I discovered that I did not like the flex from the plastic transmission cage. I did not like the plastic steering assembly. My plastic front stock tower was cracked and bent. My plastic exhaust pipe was cracked. And last of all, my stock aluminum chassis was also bent which could be the reason for the spur gears to shred.

Question for you guys. Because of all the metal on the car now, it is much heavier than before. So much to the point that my rear shocks and springs can no longer hold it at the original height. It just keeps sagging VIP style. I notice both of you had the HPI blue springs, are they pretty stiff? I'm thinking about getting some of those.

I haven't run my car yet because I just snapped the steering turnbuckle for the servo to the steering assembly trying to straighten it out (it was bent a little...). A new replacement should be here in a few days.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Welp it's been quite a while since I've last updated. I do have updates..

VTEC.. I bought the steel screw shafts you mentioned. They were about 4 to 5mm too long (the stock cup joints have one hole to allow the screw to go in, no exits for the shaft portion). Due to this problem the screw does not clear the gear carrier casing. Like they say... if it doesn't work, you BREAK until it does A pair of rusty shears came in real handy!

I have since added a few other upgrades.

1) Changed the spur gear to a 49T from the stock 52T. TOSSED away the stock 13T clutchbell in favor of a 17T heavy duty one. I did this mainly to increase the top speed. If in the future I find that I do not like the gearing I can always switch to the hardened racing clutchbell too. I lost some acceleration but hey thats sacrifice you have to make.

2) Swapped out the stock plastic disc brake for a MT2 fiber brake as it was wearing down.

3) Bought MT2 pipe and header set.

4) Carbon fiber upper deck - the upper chassis is so stiff now.

5) Replaced the rear shocks with front MT2 aluminum threaded shocks. I haven't decided if I want to replace the front shocks yet.

Pics:

Old 08-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by krnluve24
Wow, I can't believe I stumbled onto this thread while searching for parts to rebuild my snr. Let us rare snr owners unite!!

WELCOME TO THE PARTY MAN!!

NICE SNR!!

I noticed your upper radio plate and front brace is different. Is it a MT2 converted to SNR? Or a SNR using the MT2 chassis and upper chassis?? I have considered a MT2 chassis as they come in thicker plates. I already have a alloy radio plate laying around for the MT2. However I have carbon fiber upper deck now for the SNR that I want to put to use.

RE: blue springs. They are stiffer but not by much than the stock black springs. I opted to reuse them for my new rear shocks because the black ones that came with them were too soft causing the rear to droop - you'll notice I have them preloaded to the max.

Last edited by csb510; 08-02-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Sweet ride csb510!

Where did you guys buy the cf upper deck from? I could not find it anywhere!

I installed rs4 3 evo+ clutch bell, pinion gears, and spur gears. I hope they won't kill the acceleration.

I think I might go with super firm purple springs in the rear and firm blue springs in the front. I see that both of you guys have changed out the shocks, is there significant benefit by doing so?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by csb510
WELCOME TO THE PARTY MAN!!

NICE SNR!!

I noticed your upper radio plate and front brace is different. Is it a MT2 converted to SNR? Or a SNR using the MT2 chassis and upper chassis?? I have considered a MT2 chassis as they come in thicker plates. I already have a alloy radio plate laying around for the MT2. However I have carbon fiber upper deck now for the SNR that I want to put to use.

RE: blue springs. They are stiffer but not by much than the stock black springs. I opted to reuse them for my new rear shocks because the black ones that came with them were too soft causing the rear to droop - you'll notice I have them preloaded to the max.
Thanks man!

Yes, I am using mt2 gpm chassis because I couldn't find snr or mt racer ones. And because I'm using mt2 chassis, the hole placements are a bit different so I had to get a few mt2 plastic parts and a mt2 gpm radio plate. Gearing wise, I'm using rs4 3 evo+ setup. Engine is an OS 18cvrx. All suspensions are original snr.

Sounds like I have to go with rear purple springs to eliminate the droop. Does preloading the coilovers help making the spring rate even more stiffer?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

I changed my shocks mainly due to the ability to adjust the ride height without using spacers. They are a bit heavier than the plastic ones so it might aid in traction as well. I'm not sure though. Oh yeah... it "bling blings" too

As for the carbon fiber deck, they come and go on eBay. You just have to check every now and then.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

I used the hpi Blitz shocks on mine. I have a ton of preload dialed in and think I need stiffer springs. I am also curious, what chassis are you running?

nice work csb 510. have you run the new gearing yet?

**just saw your post while I was typing.**
Old 08-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by IH8VTEC
I used the hpi Blitz shocks on mine. I have a ton of preload dialed in and think I need stiffer springs. I am also curious, what chassis are you running?

nice work csb 510. have you run the new gearing yet?

**just saw your post while I was typing.**
Not yet probably this weekend. I really spend more time working on my RCs than driving it! I haven't even broke in these TGX rally tires - they're too cool! I swap in my HPI rally knobbys when I run the SNR.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

BTW what is the deal with HPI on the release of the WR8 bodies? I want a Ken Block Fiesta!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.