R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   front antisquat/kickup???? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/634196-front-antisquat-kickup.html)

1evo RRR Driver 06-03-2012 12:17 PM

front antisquat/kickup????

fellas when do you adjust front antisquat/kickup? and what exactly does it do?

8ight-racer 06-03-2012 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver (Post 10814070)
fellas when do you adjust front antisquat/kickup? and what exactly does it do?

I find a base setup for kick up that I use on most tracks. When the track is high bite and smooth, less kick up will be more responsive and stays flatter in corners because it doesn't transfer as much weight. For bumpy tracks with blown out jump faces, I use max kick up so it jumps better and its better in bumps. It also transfers more weight.

For anti squat, less will have more rear traction, specifically side bite. I went from 3 degrees to 1 degree over the past year because I have become a smoother driver. Generally, the smoother of a driver you are, the less anti squat you like, and vise versa. More anti squat has more steering and feels more aggressive overall. I try to find a good anti squat setting and rarely change it from track to track.

jpz_67 06-03-2012 04:14 PM

Well 8ight-racer is pretty much on the money. I run my car in one setting and adjust as the track changes. I generally dont change antisquat/kickup unless the track starts getting rough. As far as kickup I inrease it as things get rougher. Changing kickup puts your front lower arms at an angle and also increases the caster angle. These changes really help the car in the rough. It also affects the cars steering. A car with more front kick will loose some entry steering. When the track is smooth and traction is high I will decrease front kick to gain some corner entry steering.Hope this helps.

AZRC4Me 06-03-2012 06:18 PM

just so there's no confusion, kickup is sometimes referred to as anti-dive (angle that the front lower hinge pins are at). anti-squat is for the rear (angle the rear lower hinge pins are at).

Zerodefect 06-03-2012 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me (Post 10815300)
just so there's no confusion, kickup is sometimes referred to as anti-dive (angle that the front lower hinge pins are at). anti-squat is for the rear (angle the rear lower hinge pins are at).

I allways thought the term "anti-dive" was kinda odd. Being that kick-up is backwards and more like "pro-dive". Under braking, you have to think of the cars speed as negative acceleration, or driving in reverse.

If we are driving in reverse, then the kickup is backwards compared to antisquat in forward works. Adding more kickup, raising the front of the hingepin, makes my car dive more.

AZRC4Me 06-03-2012 10:23 PM

agreed...anti-dive is the opposite of kickup in reference to the hinge pin angle. in other words, if you increase your kickup, the anti-dive is decreased. but both terms are used interchangeably in suspension tuning. personally, i prefer using anti-dive, because the term defines what you're trying to achieve, like anti-squat.

i just wanted to try and clear it up for the op as it seemed like he was inferring anti-squat was the same as kickup which it's not.