R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   AE RC8.2 vx HongNor X3 Sabre which one ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/632573-ae-rc8-2-vx-hongnor-x3-sabre-one.html)

Hartw 05-28-2012 03:39 PM

AE RC8.2 vx HongNor X3 Sabre which one ?

Dear all, I want to ask all your opinion on those two fine buggy ? Which one is better in terms of handling + durability ? I usually a Kyosho fans but wanna try some other brand which are more reasonable priced.
Thanks all.

SureShotImages 05-28-2012 04:31 PM

Have no experience with the X3, but I love my Rc8.2. Wonderfully kit that handles great. The x3 doesn't strike me as being on the same level as the AE buggy

tc5 man 05-28-2012 05:28 PM

If your racing and want track support and parts i would get the RC8.2 for sure.

associatedguy25 05-28-2012 05:32 PM

2 guys i race with race the x3 and i race the rc8.2 i love my 8 parts for it always are aval and they always have to order parts no shop or track carries parts for that buggy hands down ae is the way to go

-R2- 05-28-2012 11:19 PM

I can't say we have the best name like AE but the Sabre has been working very well, you would be surpirized on how good it handles and how easy it is to drive, yesterday at the Pro-line race we had all X3's either race their way in to the A-mains for thier classes or qualify good. It's a new buggy and has some new updated looks to the current buggies on the market and so far guys that have driven one say they have been impressed. Yes Ae parts avail but so are Sabre parts thorugh Nitrohouse.com if you need something right away for the weekend.

offroad dude 05-29-2012 03:50 AM

If you want to be adventurous get the X3, however, if you want a buggy that will be fast out the gate with tons of support get the 8.2. Nothing is more fursturating than being lost and always chasing a setup...Just my $0.02

jewn_beef 05-29-2012 05:50 AM

Here is my. 2 cents as far as support that depends where u live and race in socal area there is always a x3 at the track as well as ae. As for handling i have driven both of them the ae is very twitchy loose in back end very aggresive car needs the 10th scale type smooth driver. The x3 is the opposite very stable can hammer it around the track and it stays planted in back.dependi.g on your driving style one of those two styles should work for u both cars have upgrade and option parts to make them drive how ever u want them to drive.
i like the second post in this thread where ut was stated that he had no experience with x3 but it was not on same level as ae
That is wrong yes ae has been around for long time and the hongnor is new do not let that stop u from getting one they are great cars and catching on witj drivers everywhere.

Chris Reilly 05-29-2012 09:48 AM

The AE car can be made stable and locked in.

occidio 05-29-2012 12:22 PM

Hongnor is not new, the x3 is. But det x3 is a joy to drive.. I came from losi driving in the pro series in my contry and I'm happy with my switch.
EA good car but neither better nor worse than hongnor in my opinion

offroad dude 05-29-2012 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by occidio (Post 10793600)
Hongnor is not new, the x3 is. But det x3 is a joy to drive.. I came from losi driving in the pro series in my contry and I'm happy with my switch.
EA good car but neither better nor worse than hongnor in my opinion

What part of Denmark are you from? I go to Aalborg all the time for work.

occidio 05-29-2012 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by offroad dude (Post 10793624)
What part of Denmark are you from? I go to Aalborg all the time for work.

64km from Aalborg

offroad dude 05-29-2012 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by occidio (Post 10793646)
64km from Aalborg

Is there a track out there. I might have to fly with my stuff next trip. I'll be back again in 3 weeks.

Chris Reilly 05-29-2012 02:02 PM

2 me the AE is a better product and a proven track record.

railer80 05-29-2012 02:09 PM

Jq the car, yellow edition. Best support out there as far as the company goes. Parts might need to be ordered though depending on your local shops.

Herrsavage 05-29-2012 02:13 PM

I have an RC8.2 and am a big Associated fan. But I'd have the X3 in a heartbeat.

It's ALL about set-up and driver skill afaic anyway.. As for choosing between these particular two, as has been said, get whichever more guys run locally wherever you happen to be, what you have better support for, etc.. Or, just flip a coin. All the top brands are good...

occidio 05-29-2012 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by offroad dude (Post 10793696)
Is there a track out there. I might have to fly with my stuff next trip. I'll be back again in 3 weeks.

yes there is.. not something big and wild but this is where I train..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI9FA...layer_embedded

ShortCourseOnly 05-29-2012 04:27 PM

I was shocked when I saw this thread. I had the exact same question today when I started to research 8th scale Nitro kits. I have been completely focused on Short Couse classes until I was given the opportunity to move to Brazil for 3 years. Here the racing circuit is 8th scale Nitro so to race I have to follow what the class is.

I have always liked my AE 10th scale Short Course kits so I automatically like the RC8.2. I also have a Hong Nor (Jammin) SCRT10 that I have enjoy tuning and feel the quality of the kit is not bad. Since Hong Nor announced the X3 Sabre I have been open to the idea of getting on of them. Cost is very important to me so the Hong Nor kit comes with extra springs and sway bars.

So in Brazil they race Mugen, Kyosho, Losi, Associated, Serpent, Hyper, Caster and Hong Nor but parts are not easy to find and cost too much anyway. So I am planning to get the Saber X3 I think. Cost is a big factor.

worstluck 05-30-2012 08:46 AM

hong nor pro kits are top quality. ive ran the x2 for a good while past its prime, holding its own against much newer cars. mostly because the cars are dnf proof. im very pleased with the new x3 kit was well worth the wait for it.

meethemeat 05-30-2012 10:12 AM

Those questions always pop up on forums. People always get stuck between 2 or more brands but the answer to their question cannot be based on statements made by the owners of X or Y brand. The answer to that question is easy to say but hard to make -> Go to a track, try both and make your own idea of what is better because what is better for x can be worse for y.
In order to compare 2/more cars there are lots of variables that should be considered.
The first one should be the facility to get parts. What matters if you have the best car "ever" if you canīt get fast support on the spare parts?
The second thing to consider should be the price. The cost of everything is really important (unless you are rich). When you buy a car instead of other car , you should think if the cost difference worth or not.
Other thing you should take in consideration is the fact that when you buy a car and you want the car to be "safe", if you need or not more upgrades.

Every car is good, every car can make good results if it is on the "right" hands at the right "time".

madweazl 05-30-2012 11:18 AM

No experience with the X3 but I have nothing negative to report about the RC8.2. I switched from an 8ight 2.0 about two months ago and I love it. Fit and finish were well beyond my expectations with this car. Local parts support isnt real good in my area for any manufacturer so that wasnt a deciding factor.

transplantlife 05-30-2012 04:05 PM

Go for the 8.2

ShortCourseOnly 05-30-2012 05:07 PM

I was checking the Championship series in my area and they most popular vehicles are Mugen, RC8, and Losi. No Ofna at all and a mix of Hot Bodies, Agama, and Serpent. So I guess I will be going with the RC8.2 now since there are sponsored drivers in the series that can support me locally. Sorry HongNor. I like the X3 kit a lot!!

LosiPRRACER 05-30-2012 11:15 PM

8.2... proven and is almost unbreakable... i would let anyone drive mine with confidence it wouldnt break.

Sylvain 05-31-2012 05:15 PM

Personally, I would say get the RC8.2, I LOVE mine.

But go with the brand you have the best support in your area and which buggy you feel the most confident with.

toycardriver 06-01-2012 08:56 AM

I own both and raced both with the same engine and electronics on back to back weeks at the same track. I feel faster and more confident with the X3 except in extreme nose down landings, the X3 doesnt handle them as well as the 8.2. None of the local hobby shops carry 8.2 parts or X3 parts because we have a bunch of Losi fanboys around here, so I have to order parts for either one. R2 will get you what you need from Nitrohouse ASAP on the X3. He sent me a part Priority Mail for free that was missing out of my kit and it arrived in time for me to race the next day and Amain will carry the 8.2 parts. The main advantage to the 8.2 is the pro drivers that use em at big races are more than willing to help set the car up. So far I own the only X3 Ive seen in person.

speedy2 06-01-2012 10:30 AM

I like cars that are easy to work on and with the fewest parts, so I prefer the x3
the x3 drives very very good and easy too, yet a few upgrades needed perhaps as it is new
the rc8.2 is a accomplished model now, but also already looks pity old by design and parts, hope they work on a new model
every car can be made to drive ok

SureShotImages 06-01-2012 11:22 AM

And the X3 is new by design? No offense to HN, but the X3 isn't any more refined than any other buggy. The RC8.2 is the brand new revision of all the other rc8 buggies. How is it old by design?

t8rtot 06-01-2012 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by SureShotImages (Post 10806816)
And the X3 is new by design? No offense to HN, but the X3 isn't any more refined than any other buggy. The RC8.2 is the brand new revision of all the other rc8 buggies. How is it old by design?

its funny you guys say that about "old by design" it mirrors the KYO buggy and its arguably the best.. but when something new and crazy innovative comes out.. you guys don't want to jump all over it, and don't want to touch it. you'd rather stick to a tried and tested design.

sometimes it just works.. i'm learning this lesson AGAIN today.. my 79 monte carlo which is more reliable than any car that has come out in the last 33yrs was but on wknd duty as i bought a newer car, which has failed me 3x's in the 4 yrs of its existance

however, i love the new toys.. my Durango's have been a blast

Sylvain 06-01-2012 11:55 AM

Is it Team Associated Champion by design? :)

LosiPRRACER 06-02-2012 03:41 PM

IMHO... there are 3 major brands that stand out, they are Associated, kyosho and mugen.

they are the brands that have the "most consistant" results over time.

There is a current brand filled with "fan boys" and we all know who they are, but results are only showing that every now and again are they are the top. but ill leave banana a-arms to someone else.

Hotbodies are looking good when they have a new tessman version :D

1evo RRR Driver 06-02-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by LosiPRRACER (Post 10811254)
IMHO... there are 3 major brands that stand out, they are Associated, kyosho and mugen.

they are the brands that have the "most consistant" results over time.

There is a current brand filled with "fan boys" and we all know who they are, but results are only showing that every now and again are they are the top. but ill leave banana a-arms to someone else.

Hotbodies are looking good when they have a new tessman version :D

only cause they r the 3most established brands with the best drivers the world has to offer.........some cars are just as good or better but will we ever see a tebo or two ryans wheel it??? NO i remember tebo running a big race with a loner car that want kyosho, and he cleaned everybodies clock.......run what u like there all capable of turning the laps needed to win...

LosiPRRACER 06-02-2012 06:59 PM

yes but they've also been the "brand" that everyone says is easyer to drive etc.

tebo come to kyosho and become one of the best drivers... he sucked with the odonnel..

but think for a minute... the pros have influence on what happens design wise... some have better ideas then others but still look whos on top.... mugen kyosho and AE have been around forever... and thats because theyhave made the best of the best for that long or they wouldnt be around.

a good example of all this is durango... most of their drivers that were pro just couldnt go any faster with it.
kyle mcbrides dad said that the kyosho was the best car they had driven(this was before he was actually sponserd by kyosho)

speedy2 06-06-2012 02:57 AM

I wouldn't say the big brands are the best of the best.. rather more trashy than the newer brands, in particular Kyosho
they have the money and the drivers to make results
but above all, they play it safe all the time..
still most, have had parts, arms or towers that wear and break with average drivers, even after 3-4 years with the same model !
I don't understand why people tolerate that big brands with their resources, don't get that fixed right in a wink, like the newer brands can
nor seem they to be able to make a decent/different mould for a batterybox aso, within a few monts, when needed..

For the rest, the Losi 8 was a brillant design, but parts are known to use real quickly
Xray 808 quality was always ok, but the arms and chassis did wear and bend easily,
and the 808 bulkhead bearing system was a struggle for years for 80% of the drivers, luckily now they are back on track

jewn_beef 06-06-2012 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by LosiPRRACER (Post 10811786)
yes but they've also been the "brand" that everyone says is easyer to drive etc.

tebo come to kyosho and become one of the best drivers... he sucked with the odonnel..

but think for a minute... the pros have influence on what happens design wise... some have better ideas then others but still look whos on top.... mugen kyosho and AE have been around forever... and thats because theyhave made the best of the best for that long or they wouldnt be around.

a good example of all this is durango... most of their drivers that were pro just couldnt go any faster with it.
kyle mcbrides dad said that the kyosho was the best car they had driven(this was before he was actually sponserd by kyosho)

Ae easy to drive i have never heard that in my parts of socal where i run i have owned one and yes it could turn fast laps but for me very inconsistent.
The x3 is new and made by ofna so people dont think its good but you are all wrong the car is very good but without a big name driver to wheel it in the states it will prob. Never get noticed. Make no mistake the car is good i am one of many who think so my top 10 laps at this past weekends race were on pace with the top 5 laps of the nitro challenge open class winner so i know the car is capable know i just need to learn how to drive more consistent all rigs are good in the right hands.
The guy who started this thread slready chose ae and i am sure he will enjoy it if it does not fit him i hope he tries the hong nor next

speedy2 06-06-2012 08:17 AM

+1
the X3 is top 3 stuff but still young

Mt Drew 06-07-2012 02:43 AM

Every car model is good in the right hands. One person will enjoy and do well with one car over another. Test driving cars at the track can give someone an idea but seeing that car is set up to the owners driving style,if the tester doesnt like it because of that setup,he might not buy it.

Ive enjoyed my X3. Ive raced the Hyper 8.5,9 and now HN X3 and all were solid cars for me. I have a friend that races the AE car and its a tank because he isnt the cleanest of drivers. But my X3 has been tested and held up as well to the abuse Ive given it.

Sadly,Ofna and its brands do not get the credit they deserve at most tracks and from most drivers. Its long overdue for sure and will come someday. But until then,those of us that drive it will be more then happy to prove people wrong.

As for parts. Not all shops can stock all parts for every car. Ive seen some that only carry parts for 2 or 3 cars. No matter what brand you go with,chances are you will have to go online to order items at some point. Nitrohouse.com and AMainhobbies.com are your best choices when it comes to replacement and upgrade parts.

miket 06-07-2012 07:10 AM

Back in the day wasn't Adam Drake driving a Jammin x1 buggy and winning with that before Losi 8 came out. So I believe the X3 is very capable of winning.