Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Tiger Tomahawk St Problems >

Tiger Tomahawk St Problems

Tiger Tomahawk St Problems

Old 06-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tiger Tomahawk St Problems

Hey everybody, I'm new here and also new to nitro cars. I bought a TT St the other day as my first car. I have broken it in now, had a few problems starting it and it was stalling regularly, I'm guessing that's common in new cars. Anyway eventually I got though about 8 tanks, and it was working great. Now a few days later it would not start properly. When it did start it would stall a lot, it was idling fine but as soon as I put abit of throttle on it would then stall... So I tried to fix it myself thinking I may as well try since I'll have to learn how to maintain and tune it eventually anyway. Now I think I've made it worse. I was messing with it for hours, playing with the Lsn, hsp, and the idle. I had it starting first time at one point, but would then rev out of control. I then had it starting but then stalling as soon as I throttle. Then I also had it stalling as soon as I take out the glow ignitor. I have no idea what to do now, I don't want to make it any worse than I have. I was thinking about just taking it to a shop to get fixed but it will probly cost a lot and take forever to get back. What can you suggest? I suck at this!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Tech Rookie

I have now set my Lsn and hsn back to factory setting and also tried to do the same with idle, which is a little more difficult not exactly sure how that works. Anyway it is now starting again and it's still having problems. As soon as I take the ignitor out, it stalls. If I leave the ignitor in and lift the car up the wheels start to spin out of control without me giving any throttle. So I must have set the idle wrong, do you think this is the reason why it's stalling as well?
I must have spent a combined total of around 10 hours in the last few days just trying to tune it, what am I doing wrong?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok thanks for your help .....
Old 06-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Just found your posting! See if this will help.

===

Tuning in a Pinch by John Adams (Horizon Hobby)

Many racers find it difficult to properly tune the low speed needle. We've developed a method that makes it easy, even for beginners, to adjust the low speed needle to within 5% of peak performance and it's done right on the bench. We call it the pinch test and here's how it works.

Step 1. Start your engine and warm it up for about 30 seconds by revving the engine from idle to mid-throttle while holding the wheels off the ground.

Step 2. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds. If the low speed needle tuning is so far off that it won't idle, simply bump the idle position higher until the engine will reliably run at a higher idle.

Step 3. With the engine at idle, pinch and hold the fuel line near the carburetor, cutting off the fuel flow and carefully listen to the engine rpm.

If the low speed needle is set correctly, the engine should increase rpm only slightly and then die.

If the engine increases several hundred rpm before dying, then the low speed needle is too rich and needs to be turned in.

If the rpm doesn't increase at all and the engine simply dies, the low speed needle is set too lean and should be richened or turned out.

After doing this a few times you'll get the hang of it, and tuning the low speed needle will become easy.