Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
HPI D8S Reviews??? >

HPI D8S Reviews???

HPI D8S Reviews???

Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI D8S Reviews???

Hello,

The HPI D8S has been out for a little while now but in scouring the internet I have yet to find any real reviews on it. I'm looking at buying one but I would like to get some thoughts from current owners.

My only real concern comes down to the F3.5 Engine and it's apparent lack of "power". I plan to run it at the track and I will likely end up racing it. Has anyone managed to squeeze any more out of it? If so, what was done other than replacing it?

Any other weak spots?

Your responses are very much appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ekimox View Post
Hello,

The HPI D8S has been out for a little while now but in scouring the internet I have yet to find any real reviews on it. I'm looking at buying one but I would like to get some thoughts from current owners.

My only real concern comes down to the F3.5 Engine and it's apparent lack of "power". I plan to run it at the track and I will likely end up racing it. Has anyone managed to squeeze any more out of it? If so, what was done other than replacing it?

Any other weak spots?

Your responses are very much appreciated.

Cheers!
Look up the d8 thread. Same car virtually just rtr's.

Bullet proof, great parts support at affordable pricing.

Most rtr's have plenty of power. Most racers, including me, have more power then neded anyways.

If want to parking lot drag race only, pick another car. Fast reliable then your good to go.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Willbe.

Anyone else? I'm particularly interested in reviews specific to the D8S. I've spent at least 2 hours on the D8 forum but I'd like to hear from D8S owners as well.

How have the servos held up? Engine? Any trends with any particular parts breaking or wearing out? Overall satisfaction with the kit? Common D8 Hara upgrades?

I totally understand that things are going to have to be replaced and I'm willing to do so but any light D8S owners can shed on the RTR would really be appreciated.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I've not owned one but do own the D8. I've been around the D8S and seen them run. Pretty much all the power you need and base it on your ability. Races aren't won on the straights. Should be a good overall car for what you're wanting to do. I would upgrade as parts broke or wore out. Remember, they are yet to make a car that doesn't break. Overall, I rate the durabilty darn good on the D8 platform.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

I have a d8s

SUPER CAR! , same chassis as the d8 (not hara) same same same car but RTR!

a must have for 450$!!! runs like a charm!

stock servos are also good to keep almost! lol suprising!

I did end up changing them

the only down side! HUMP PACK ONLY! ........and they are tight fit
fitting servo wires is a headache! , fitting battery wires headache!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys. I used to race nitro on road 10 years ago and I'm looking to get back into the sport with buggys. The D8S seems to fit most of what I'm after and I'm really looking forward to finally getting one.

Anyone upgraded from the factory pipe? Any success?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Tech Rookie

I actually got mine today broke in easy literally everything but fuel even has batteries it was keeping up with a hyper 7 that has a .28 engine but way better built has a metal steering servo I jumped it over a ramp severally time at least 6 ft air strait to hard dirt and kept on going I totally would get it if I was you
Old 05-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The d8 is a great car, it will get sloppier than a fat kid in mcdonalds though.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Tech Rookie

What do you mean by that?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by railer80 View Post
That's funny shit!!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by railer80 View Post
Not as bad as a Losi though.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am also interested in the D8S, my only concern is the new new JQ Product "The Car" RTR is coming out in a month and for the same price or even less I think it would be a much better choice then the D8S based off the the older but still very good HB D8. I think the D8S would be a good starter buggy for racing, but if you can get a RTR with an Alpha engine, Savox Servos with a newer design why not go that way.

Last edited by JatoMan_72; 08-14-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JatoMan_72 View Post
I am also interested in the D8S, my only concern is the new new JQ Product "The Car" RTR is coming out in a month and for the same price or even less I think it would be a much better choice then the D8S based off the the older but still very good HB D8. I think the D8S would be a good starter buggy for racing, but if you can get a RTR with an Alpha engine, Savox Servos with a newer design why not go that way.

The JQ rtr buggy looks like a much better deal and platform however if something breaks on it at your track good luck getting parts for it i dont know of any online R/C stores that sell the parts for it .

You will have better luck with the D8S parts wise online and at the track.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hayabusafmw View Post
I have a d8s

SUPER CAR! , same chassis as the d8 (not hara) same same same car but RTR!

I have a D8S and a D8 and the D8S doesn't have the same chassis as the D8. It has a cheap crap chassis made from 6601 aluminum and it gets bent really easily. Hpi have also made the front suspension block, the rear pivot plates and the exhaust mount from plastic so you will have to replace all of them after a couple of days usage. The engine is reliable but not fast enough for racing. If you are planning on racing do not buy this car you will regret it. I made this mistake so I then had to buy a D8 kit.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Agreed with the parts issue it could take some time to order replacement parts, I know Amainhobbies has parts for the other JQ Product Cars so they will carry parts for the RTR. I think you just need to be prepaired and order some extra parts along with the buggy, especially A-Arms, Hinge Pins, maybe some Gears you know stuff that gets the most damage. I think with time as JQ Products get better and more recognized some local shops may start to carry parts. I know in Canada Xray, Serpent and Mugen arn't stocked locally either but that dosen't stop a lot of our racers from getting them. Just my opinion, just do what's best for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.