R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Does chassis skid plates mess up your cars jump? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/628286-does-chassis-skid-plates-mess-up-your-cars-jump.html)

teeforb 05-13-2012 08:29 PM

Does chassis skid plates mess up your cars jump?

Sometimes my car doesn't jump well and it flip forward. I'm wondering if it is my skid plates. It doesn't happen enought for me to take them off and see if there is a difference. I wanted to see of others have similar issues.

Thx

LosiPRRACER 05-13-2012 08:36 PM

skid plates are the most stupidest things IMO,

they create drag, hook jumps faces, wear like crazy, dont allow full up travel.
only upside is less chassis wear. but under normal use you will wear the rest of the chassis anyway and youll end up spending heaps on the skid plates over that time.

only8ight 05-13-2012 08:50 PM

I did used front skid plate(TBONE) for my scte last saturday ...I removed it after 3 packs cause It didnt jumped right..also some dirt get in between the gap and make the car a little heavier makes it to nose dive.yes it wears out but i guess that what it is....I bought it cause of my TLR chassis arent cheap, for my own opinion, if youa re a basher then skid plate does not matter and helps a lot. but if you race then NO skid plate !!

JFuel11 05-13-2012 08:57 PM

Yes... They most likely will mess up your car on Jumps

I was at the track last year racing and a guy was having a really hard time getting his mugen buggy to jumps correct. The car had no lift off the face of the jumps no matter how fast you hit them... Ended up being the skid plates.

Took them off and the problem was solved...

teeforb 05-13-2012 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by JFuel11 (Post 10729603)
I was at the track last year racing and a guy was having a really hard time getting his mugen buggy to jumps correct. The car had no lift off the face of the jumps no matter how fast you hit them... Ended up being the skid plates.

Took them off and the problem was solved...

Wow! My suspension on my serpent is really soft. So I'm sure I'm affected even more!

bigjayjay1 05-13-2012 10:45 PM

Chassis are cheap really no reason to run skids unless your a basher I tried didn't like they got pulled very quickly if money is a issue its a great option thou it does help preserve the front and rear but they do interfere if your going to buy the aluminum ones would be my pick I would grind down for limited interferance.

nv529 05-14-2012 03:39 AM

skid plates may slow down chassis wear, however over time your chassis will still develop tweak, so in the long run the chassis will still need to be replaced.

Greg B 05-14-2012 05:28 AM

I think I'm tweaked......LOL

These things are in theory a good idea and the function is there, however for racing, they can screw things up really quick. I would say stay away from them. For what it's worth, I don't like them but that's my opinion.

adrictan 05-14-2012 05:36 AM

I do run skids and if constructed well, they last and do not interfere but tht's me.:lol:

rcuser567345 05-14-2012 02:02 PM

I'm using DE Racing front and rear skids and the work perfect for me with no problems.

teeforb 05-14-2012 02:38 PM

i've used various skid plates and it seems (no conclusive data to prove) that i only have issues jumping when i use them. Like this past weekend, i inserted a plastic rear skid plate and this one jump, i did an 180 deg front flip and my buggy landed upside down really hard. Luckily i didn't break anything! And it's so random that it's hard to tell. I think i will run without plate and see if i see any more anomalies.

rcuser567345 05-14-2012 02:44 PM

If anything, get a DE racing front bump skid. Its a great bumper and won't affect jumps at all, I would also tape the bottom of the chassis with duct tape and cut out screw holes.

Jaz240 05-14-2012 03:17 PM

My Agama has a recessed cut out in the rear for a skid plate so it fits flush into the chassis and wont drag on jumps or landings. Its a brilliant design and my chassis has 14 gallons on it and still going strong ( the skid plates dont last that long) :D

Drip 05-14-2012 05:35 PM

Agama

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 10732528)
My Agama has a recessed cut out in the rear for a skid plate so it fits flush into the chassis and wont drag on jumps or landings. Its a brilliant design and my chassis has 14 gallons on it and still going strong ( the skid plates dont last that long) :D

I agree an ingenious idea and it would cut a little weight. My thought tho is once the chassis wears and you install a new one what the measurement difference between the chassis plate and new skid plate

rcboy1 05-14-2012 05:54 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...38828253_n.jpg
This is where the skid plates screw with the jump exit/take off.