Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
????Standard Truggy Wheel OD Diamiter???? >

????Standard Truggy Wheel OD Diamiter????

????Standard Truggy Wheel OD Diamiter????

Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 314 (100%+)
Default ????Standard Truggy Wheel OD Diamiter????

Ok guys, Im getting into Truggy Land and Ive noticed there are soooo many different Wheel OD Diameters out. I believe-- 3.2-3.5-3.7-3.8 and 4.0

Which is the standard diameter and why?

Thanks for the advice in advance..
Old 05-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k1ller rc View Post
Ok guys, Im getting into Truggy Land and Ive noticed there are soooo many different Wheel OD Diameters out. I believe-- 3.2-3.5-3.7-3.8 and 4.0

Which is the standard diameter and why?

Thanks for the advice in advance..
3.2 and 3.5 inch were the standard a few years ago. Losi and a couple other companies found that a larger wheel (3.7 and 3.8 inch) with a smaller tire sidewall handled better. Then came the 4.0's from JC and Proline.
And by my experiance, the 4.0's handle 10 times better than the 3.7/3.8's which handled 10 times better than the 3.5's. Now we just need 4.2's or something

So really the answer to your question is there is not really a "SET" standard. Losi, AE, Mugen, and other companies truggies come with wheels in 3.7 inches. These will fit Proline LRP tires, JC Max-Ups and Panther along with most other major brands. The Proline VTR's are a 4.0 inch and require VTR tires. JC just came out with there Elevated bead which I think is comperable to the VTR. Havent used it so Im not 100% sure. But they sell tires to fit there wheels.

I would use 3.7 ( LRP, Losi and JC Max-Ups) for really rough tracks and bashing. Then use the 4.0's for smoother and high speed tracks.

Hope this helps
Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 314 (100%+)

Yes, We run a 50/50 set up as far as the tracks go. Some fast and some technical. So, a combination of 3.7's and 4.0's sound like a good start.
Buuuuutttt. More info from others who have been in the game for a bit.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jerm13 View Post
3.2 and 3.5 inch were the standard a few years ago. Losi and a couple other companies found that a larger wheel (3.7 and 3.8 inch) with a smaller tire sidewall handled better. Then came the 4.0's from JC and Proline.
And by my experiance, the 4.0's handle 10 times better than the 3.7/3.8's which handled 10 times better than the 3.5's. Now we just need 4.2's or something

So really the answer to your question is there is not really a "SET" standard. Losi, AE, Mugen, and other companies truggies come with wheels in 3.7 inches. These will fit Proline LRP tires, JC Max-Ups and Panther along with most other major brands. The Proline VTR's are a 4.0 inch and require VTR tires. JC just came out with there Elevated bead which I think is comperable to the VTR. Havent used it so Im not 100% sure. But they sell tires to fit there wheels.

I would use 3.7 ( LRP, Losi and JC Max-Ups) for really rough tracks and bashing. Then use the 4.0's for smoother and high speed tracks.

Hope this helps
Actually there is a standard, it is called the ROAR Rule Book. Your track might not go by them, but companies generally design products to fit within the rules.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

4.0" is the newest standard.. ROAR recently implamented the 4.0" wheel to be legal, which is why AKA Just released the EVO..

That said I am still running the old 3.8" wheels from AKA.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just gonna ask here:

Is it feasible to stretch a 3.7" tire onto a 4.0" wheel? I know they're already pretty low profile, but is that even within reason? I feel like the foams will be too thick, and it'll be too much wheel to fit the tire over.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thefoodman52 View Post
Just gonna ask here:

Is it feasible to stretch a 3.7" tire onto a 4.0" wheel? I know they're already pretty low profile, but is that even within reason? I feel like the foams will be too thick, and it'll be too much wheel to fit the tire over.
Its very easy to "stretch" it..... the hard part is getting the tire to "mount" and look right. When you stretch the tire that much, it sits on the bead and all that extra sidewall has to go somewhere, and it goes outward. Makes the tire look like its a full sized car tire that low on air ( puff sidewall).
I have made them work before but was kind of a pain in the butt. Take a pair of body shears and cut just the bead of the tire off where it meets the sidewall. Mount normally using 4.0 inserts and 4.0 wheels. Make sure you hit the rim and sidewall with a dremel and sanding wheel prior to gluing. Good prep work is the key to a good, long lasting glue job.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So they have enough material, but too much sidewall, effectively? That's fine by me. All I do is bash, so some extra over hung sidewall won't bother me any. I've just come across some super cheap 3.7 truggy tires, and some equally cheap 4.0 wheels. I guess I'll have to order some 4.0 foams to get it to sit at all on the wheel, which is unfortunately going to add more than I wanted to spend on these cheapies, but it'll do. Thanks!