Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
XXX-SCNT scratch build >

XXX-SCNT scratch build

XXX-SCNT scratch build

Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default XXX-SCNT scratch build

I started thinking about this build a few months ago and with the recent release of Associated SC10GT. I decided to get started. Pretty easy build, I started with a XXX-NT I had laying around, I swaped out the front bulkhead, shock tower, body mounts, bumber, a-arms, and links off a XXX-SCT all of which bolted directly onto the existing XXX-NT nose plate. I started this way just as a general mock up to see what width and length adjustments would need to be made. After mock up I found that with the front end swap it was perfect up front and with using SC10 rear wheels it was correct width out back. I also determined that i need to add 1.5in to the wheel base. Using the stock XXX-NT chassis as a template I made a new chassis adding the needed length between the fuel tank and the engine. After bolting everthing onto the new chassis I found that I also needed to fabricate a new rear brace that connects the tranny case to the upper chassis bracing. With all this being completed My XXX-SCT body fit perfectly using the stock mounting holes. All I have left to do is figure out a rear bumper setup. I have also found that with the added length there is room to mount the receiver battery forward on the truck this allows you to use the stock battery box, located in the rear behind the rear shock tower, as a box to add weight to the rear of the vehicle to gain rear traction which these trucks suffered from lack of.

Here are a few pics of the truck at this time, If you have any questions on this build feel free to post your questions and I will answer them as best I can.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...tom-build.html
Old 04-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Thats my truck ....

Below is better pics of rear bumper ..... what i did is drilled holes thru battery box and put counter sunk bolts thru top of cover and put nut for spacer to bumper brace and then nut on top to secure it ...

BTW the rear bumper is longer than body due to the shock tower being further back , thats why i have rear mount backwards on shock tower .. yes it fit good on with it like electric trk but i felt safer with rear bumper so dont get rear end smashed from behind LOL

Last edited by will g; 04-18-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sandjunkie View Post
I started thinking about this build a few months ago and with the recent release of Associated SC10GT. I decided to get started. Pretty easy build, I started with a XXX-NT I had laying around, I swaped out the front bulkhead, shock tower, body mounts, bumber, a-arms, and links off a XXX-SCT all of which bolted directly onto the existing XXX-NT nose plate. I started this way just as a general mock up to see what width and length adjustments would need to be made. After mock up I found that with the front end swap it was perfect up front and with using SC10 rear wheels it was correct width out back. I also determined that i need to add 1.5in to the wheel base. Using the stock XXX-NT chassis as a template I made a new chassis adding the needed length between the fuel tank and the engine. After bolting everthing onto the new chassis I found that I also needed to fabricate a new rear brace that connects the tranny case to the upper chassis bracing. With all this being completed My XXX-SCT body fit perfectly using the stock mounting holes. All I have left to do is figure out a rear bumper setup. I have also found that with the added length there is room to mount the receiver battery forward on the truck this allows you to use the stock battery box, located in the rear behind the rear shock tower, as a box to add weight to the rear of the vehicle to gain rear traction which these trucks suffered from lack of.

Here are a few pics of the truck at this time, If you have any questions on this build feel free to post your questions and I will answer them as best I can.

Nice build is close to what mine is ...... good job !!! What did you do for chassis brace in rear ?

Last edited by will g; 04-18-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Very SWWWWEEEEET!!!!

After I did a SC build of a RC10GT2 after reading about how Greg Vogel built a GT2-SC in RC Drivers first SC special mag. I couldn't get one of my losi buddies to donate a truck for a build for them so we could have a nitro sc class.

Did a extender to the front of the GT2 to get the extra length.

http://www.t3t4webservice.com/SC10_GT2.html

===

Greg also has done a Nitro Rustler SC and a Duratrax ST (electric) SC.

Again >>>> Very SWWWWEEEEET!!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

will g

Your is VERY SWWWEEEET!!!! Also!!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Nice build is close to what mine is ...... good job !!! What did you do for chassis brace in rear ?
thanks for every ones compliments!!

For the rear brace I had some thinner aluminum and used the original as a template to make a new longer one
Old 04-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

The MORE racers who either get the SC10GT (hope other bands join in soon) or mod their gas truck (AE, Losi, HPI, Traxxas) it's more likely we will have a class to race in.

At one time I raced my Mod GT2-SC in Mod class as it was a MOD!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

sandjunkie, I want to see the pics. Any chance you can upload them again? Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

would be an awesome class.