Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Is HPI all hype? >

Is HPI all hype?

Is HPI all hype?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Is HPI all hype?

So I'm in the market for a 1/8 RTR buggy and I was really looking at the HPI Trophy and D8S simply because I've had a few HPI electric sedans and I knew the quality was exceptional. So naturally, I think, I went to HPI for a good quality nitro car. Both the Trophy and D8S are great looking cars and both have great features. Sweet orange aluminum, big bore shocks, strong chassis, great heritage.... etc.

But....

I've started looking around at other cars at the urging of some other members.
Obviously the Losi 8ight v2.0 is an excellent RTR if you're going straight into racing as are many other cars.... IF you plan on strictly racing. I think they're a tad expensive for back yard bashing.
When I looked at RTR's in sub-$500 group more for general bashing and minimal racing, my two HPI's fell in line and OFNA was also there.
As I looked more at the Ofna Hyper 8.5x RTR I found that it had more "upgraded" parts on it that I would really expect on a pro level car. CNC'd towers, universals at all for corners, one piece pipe, a big .28 motor, 17mm shocks, etc, etc, etc... all for $390!!

So now I'm like, wth!?!? The D8S is $460, and the Trophy is $390 and while they look pretty, they seem under par compared to the Hyper 8.5x at $390 and all the stuff that comes with that.

So after all this nonsense above, whats up with HPI? For $390 or $460 shouldnt HPI be including some better parts on their cars? (ie: universals instead of dogbones, front sway bar....) Has the "hype" over HPI influenced the quality of their products or their ability (read: desire) to present a product that is equal to it's competition?

I'm not looking for opinions as to "which is best", it's more of a question of whats happened to HPI?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:15 AM
Tech Champion

That's pretty much right IMO.. Still, much better than Traxxas. For a basher buggy, get a Hyper..
Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default True stuff

I like your analysis.

One thing to consider is the HPI buggy is based off of a winning race buggy, and the OFNA is a bit outdated although it would make a great fun car.

I don't know all about the HPI but you could add some cvd's from ebay for a great price, and shock towers too.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The hyper 7 is a good solid beater as well.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
I like your analysis.

One thing to consider is the HPI buggy is based off of a winning race buggy...
Thats one thing that keeps me leaning towards HPI. There are still parts around for the Trophy (aka HB Lightning 2 Pro/RR) so thats nice. The D8S seems to really be a re-release of the original D8 sans universals at the wheels and with the D8 HE out there, it's easy to find upgrades for that one.

However, the thing that keeps bugging me is the VALUE aspect. For $390 for the Ofna, one seems to get more bang for your buck. But how is Ofna quality? Support? Aftermarket?

If I knew I could really get someones attention over at HPI, I'd bring all this up. Especially with reviews on the D8S repeatedly stating and showing the hinge pin retainers popping out or breaking, I'd like to see HPI beef up and upgrade their cars a little without raising the price so we dont feel like we got ripped off when our friends pull up in an Ofna or something else and theirs is better equipped.

Does HPI frequent this forum? I'd love to discuss this with them.
I've emailed them a few times and one guy was completely clueless as to the heritage of the Trophy, and the other times I've gotten no response at all. I've even asked on their Facebook and Twitter with no response. It's frustrating.

I wonder how Ofna's support is... I might just put up with that HIDEOUS Hyper 8.5 body if the support is better and there is a decent aftermarket for it.

Last edited by iVTEC4LIFE; 04-17-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Add text
Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

All cars from all manufactuers can have issues that you have to deal with. Ofna use to make some decent RTR stuff but they are far outdated.
Really, the only quality RTR buggies on the market that can bash and do a little racing would be the Losi or the HPI D8S.
As for contacting a company and changing the rules, good luck.
As for hearing of parts breakage, take into consideration that some people could tear up a steel anvil with a rubber hammer.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Greg. Excellent points.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

I have a D8, ran the hell out of it, then I converted it to an electric. I'd go with an HPI or Hot Bodies far an above Ofna. the vehicle set up is a snap. maintenance is a breeze. how many screws does it take to remove the radio tray from the Ofna. an X1CRT has 14 my D8 has 5. parts durability the HPI is Rock Solid. I don't want to sound like a hater. but i had a X1CRT yes I know that's a truggy and not a buggy, but there's not allot of differences between the two. working and cleaning my OFNA was work. my hot bodies was easy. and by the way the Hyper 7 is a good basher, but its an older design. how much do you like E clips, just saying. I hope my input helps a little.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

the trophy truck is built off the lightning 2 platform. its very similar to the hyper 7. Id recommend going with the RTR D8 or making the investment into the D8T.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Regular

I like the d8s but I saw it pop the rear arm out from a mild 4-5ft high jump. I know it just landed wrong but I saw youtube vids of the Trophy being thoroughly thrashed. It broke and upper arm from a bad landing on a 15+ft jump.
I think I'm probably going to go with the Trophy due to proven design (tho I do HATE the phillips head screws thru-out... Really???) and low entry cost. Plus I love figuring out how to upgrade older cars.
I'd do the D8S only if the suspension issue were solved or if the cost came down. I can't justify near $500 on such a poorly outfitted rtr that I'm seeing having issues holding itself together under mild abuse.
I'm still thinking about it, between the Trophy and the D8S, but right now I'm leaning towards the Trophy.... Plus, I'm in Texas, so longhorn orange really draws me in.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by railer80 View Post
The hyper 7 is a good solid beater as well.
+1

My freind had one and BEAT on it and it never broke.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iVTEC4LIFE View Post
I like the d8s but I saw it pop the rear arm out from a mild 4-5ft high jump. I know it just landed wrong but I saw youtube vids of the Trophy being thoroughly thrashed. It broke and upper arm from a bad landing on a 15+ft jump.
I think I'm probably going to go with the Trophy due to proven design (tho I do HATE the phillips head screws thru-out... Really???) and low entry cost. Plus I love figuring out how to upgrade older cars.
I'd do the D8S only if the suspension issue were solved or if the cost came down. I can't justify near $500 on such a poorly outfitted rtr that I'm seeing having issues holding itself together under mild abuse.
I'm still thinking about it, between the Trophy and the D8S, but right now I'm leaning towards the Trophy.... Plus, I'm in Texas, so longhorn orange really draws me in.
Put some aluminum inner hinge pin holders on that D8s and it would be bullet proof. PLastic in some areas just don't work..
Old 04-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Those are perfect!! But it only confirms my point. The D8S SHOULD be equipped with them in the first place. To make it as it should be, the price goes from $460 +$25 for that kit for a total of $485. Might as well save up the extra $15 and get the AE RC8RS RTR. It's fully loaded with roto-start, .28, universals.... yada, yada, yada.... Everything the D8S should have at that price.

But now the crowd of cars to choose from has grown...
1) HPI Trophy 3.5 Buggy RTR $389
2) Ofna Hyper 8.5 RTR $389
3) AE RC8RS RTR Refurbished $399
4) HPI D8S RTR $460(+25 for the aluminum retainers)

Decisions, decisions.....
Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by iVTEC4LIFE View Post
Those are perfect!! But it only confirms my point. The D8S SHOULD be equipped with them in the first place. To make it as it should be, the price goes from $460 +$25 for that kit for a total of $485. Might as well save up the extra $15 and get the AE RC8RS RTR. It's fully loaded with roto-start, .28, universals.... yada, yada, yada.... Everything the D8S should have at that price.

But now the crowd of cars to choose from has grown...
1) HPI Trophy 3.5 Buggy RTR $389
2) Ofna Hyper 8.5 RTR $389
3) AE RC8RS RTR Refurbished $399
4) HPI D8S RTR $460(+25 for the aluminum retainers)

Decisions, decisions.....
Just get a OFNA LX2 or Hyper 7 TQ and be done with it for $300. You're not racing, sounds like just some fun bashing.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, but I'm also a tinkerer. And I'd like to get the most for my money. The LX2 and Hyper 7 are nice but to upgrade them, which I love doing, would cost more than just getting the Hyper 8.5.

I know. I know. Following that logic, I should just get a D8 HE, or a Losi 8ight, but I'm looking for the best value in the $4-500 range.

Thanks for the discussion guys, it's got me thinking nitro 24/7 now!! Can't wait!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.