Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 scale tire question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 1/8 scale tire question

first question is gonna sound dumb but here goes....are tires that are mc/clay compound tires designed to wear longer on clay or provide better traction on clay?secondly..does anyone use the standard open cell inserts anymore and lastly whats with these new wheel stiffeners these days?thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

better traction

open cell foams are waaay outdated, the new closed cells are better in every way

stiffer wheel yields better traction/corner speed IMO
Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanker71
first question is gonna sound dumb but here goes....are tires that are mc/clay compound tires designed to wear longer on clay or provide better traction on clay?secondly..does anyone use the standard open cell inserts anymore and lastly whats with these new wheel stiffeners these days?thanks
MC/Clay compounds (natural rubber) are designed to be ran on wet indoor tracks where the clay is near waterlogged. Not all Clay is the same, some tracks require super soft compounds while others you must run Proline MC, Losi Pink, Panther Clay, or Jconcepts Gold it all depends on the moisture content and surface temperature of the soil. Also in high heat areas on dried out/blue groove Clay you'll need to run compounds like proline MX, losi Red, Hotbodies Red or White, or Jconcepts Orange.

Believe it or not, MC/Clay compounds can be is like driving on ice if the track dries out to much...
Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Clay tires will provide the most traction on a clay surface.

Closed cell foams are better in general because they last longer and provide more traction on smoother race tracks. I myself use them everywhere. I don't really use open anymore at all. Sweep Racing Tires makes a nice closed cell that is softer than most others but also provides great traction everywhere.

Stiffer wheels are used on smooth tracks. On a rough track the stiff wheel may cause traction loss.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Preety much agree with much of what's been posted,

Never gave a whole lot of thought in the clay compound tires. Better traction? Last longer? I guess it depends on the track. I usually dont have to worry about the clay comounds for outdoor let alone nitro 1/8th, though I'm sure there's places that run nitro indoors.

Closed cell foams seem to be the standard now and there are some that are a little softer or harder if you need it. In general, seem to be the preferred foams just about anywhere.

Wheel stiffeners? Something that is fairly new for offroad. So the jury is still out as to exactly when and when not to use them. I'm told that they help make more corner speed and I would agree that smooth tracks could see the best benifit. Another point that was raised was using them in the heat of the day, when the wheel has the most flex. I hadn't though tof that, but made sence to me that the stiffeners could be used in that manner for tuning.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

wow thanks for the replys guys!i ran my 4wdsc at a clay track last weekend and burned up a set of ss jconcepts in 2 packs!so i need to order 1/8 scale tires and didnt want to suffer the same affects at 75 bucks a set!im new to clay so i appreciate the advise.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

clay compound is for indoor only, and not all indoor, depends on the clay
Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imaxx21
clay compound is for indoor only, and not all indoor, depends on the clay
also works really well on very wet clay out door tracks , say it rained befoe racing they work well

other then that outdoor should be med compound IMO for 1/8th buggy tyre life is good and grip is not to bad at all
Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

On a hot day i will Jconcepts Golds outdoor as the natural rubber holds up better to the heat than does say an M2 or soft aka compound. Your tire compound choice is gonna depend a lot on ambient and track tempeture the hotter it gets the harder the compound you wanna run and vise versa for the cold. just my 2c's
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

I'm using Panther switch 2.0's.. traction is good and tire wear is very low imho. Indoor clay track that is kept fairly moist. I think they are among the cheaper tires also?