Kryteck and other dry lubes

Kryteck and other dry lubes

Old 04-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Kryteck and other dry lubes

i am picking up some of this today
http://www.absolutehobbyz.com/produc...oducts_id=6413
, im building a new 811-t, i like to treat the plastics before and after getting them dirt, i use sc1 at the track, i dont have any experience with this stuff, and before i do all the plastics/pins on truggy , id like to hear when and where you guys are successfully using this/and similar products.. my plan was to polish the hingepins, than run a coat of the kryteck over them, buffing with a cloth, possibly getting the hingepin and similar holes cleaned out with the kryteck, how does this stuff last, does it coat and protect metal parts, and plastics, lets talk it up, i am VERy thorough with my builds and even more so with maintenance, lets talk it up, i also saw they make a gear grease, thinking of doing ring/pinion from diffs with it, although red mobile 1 grease has worked perfect , and years tested!!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm actually using it to clean my bearings tonight, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

yes keep thread alive! cleaning is another solution i havent even tought of? expensive to use like that, but if it works, why not...ceramic bearings?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin
yes keep thread alive! cleaning is another solution i havent even tought of? expensive to use like that, but if it works, why not...ceramic bearings?
Nah just the stock ones. Clean them with Nitro cleaner, oil them with the TrakPower lube.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin
i am picking up some of this today
http://www.absolutehobbyz.com/produc...oducts_id=6413
, im building a new 811-t, i like to treat the plastics before and after getting them dirt, i use sc1 at the track, i dont have any experience with this stuff, and before i do all the plastics/pins on truggy , id like to hear when and where you guys are successfully using this/and similar products.. my plan was to polish the hingepins, than run a coat of the kryteck over them, buffing with a cloth, possibly getting the hingepin and similar holes cleaned out with the kryteck, how does this stuff last, does it coat and protect metal parts, and plastics, lets talk it up, i am VERy thorough with my builds and even more so with maintenance, lets talk it up, i also saw they make a gear grease, thinking of doing ring/pinion from diffs with it, although red mobile 1 grease has worked perfect , and years tested!!!!
I have been using this stuff for a while now, dating back to when it was sold under the O'Donnell brand. Tower hobbies has a 3 product bundle of the Trakpower clean, prep & lube offerings, for $19.99. Essentially, your getting the dry lube for free, when you purchase the bundle. Here is a link: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBKVZ&P=SM
Old 04-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I stopped using this lube on my hingpins simply because grease works betters and lasts ten times longer. after the first weekend out after using the krytech lube on my hingpins, the suspension squeaks and sticks. also used this before on bearings. i clean all the grease out with laquer thinner and drop in some of the krytech. It worked ok but i use a light oil now instead. when the krytech dried inside of bearing it was almost like it was still full of grease. i am VERY anal about my bearings and only use light oil now. the less resistance/friction the better imo. the only thing i use it for now if for the pillow balls on front end.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dry lubes just hurt me...
Old 04-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PERROTTO
I stopped using this lube on my hingpins simply because grease works betters and lasts ten times longer. after the first weekend out after using the krytech lube on my hingpins, the suspension squeaks and sticks. also used this before on bearings. i clean all the grease out with laquer thinner and drop in some of the krytech. It worked ok but i use a light oil now instead. when the krytech dried inside of bearing it was almost like it was still full of grease. i am VERY anal about my bearings and only use light oil now. the less resistance/friction the better imo. the only thing i use it for now if for the pillow balls on front end.
WOW, good to know, i might just polish em', and leave em' after reading that...as for the bearings, im with you on that, if they are not ceramic, and rubber shielded, take off shields, soak overnight in penetrating oil, or similiar, blow out w/compressor, to remove all the packing grease, than place one shield one, get some mobil 1 oil, like for your car, fill under half the bearing, and thats the best you can get em, proven method, with years of trying combos etc behind it... mobil-1 oil one is kinda thick when cool, but as it heats up, it thins out, perfect for what we want, so it has consistency to not just run out, and as bearings work, so does your oil, HANDS down on this one. try it..hey, mercedes benz this is the ONLY oil that they use, and/or recommend, think about it, well when i had one in 01'; that was the case at least for the clk line.....lol...if they are metal shielded, remove grease in same manner, than i would try soaking them for a day or 2, never did on anything but rubber shield,as this is basically for offroad, if on road, go with ceramics and use a light oil, most top of the line ceramics come with some type of light oil already in them, so the penetrating oil step is not needed...
Old 04-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Grease attracts dirt and it clings to it, as does any type of oil. The "dry" types of lubricants have been proven to provide better resistance to attracting dirt and grime. They are used in the bicycles and in motorcycles too, but to each his own.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by golferdude1971
Grease attracts dirt and it clings to it, as does any type of oil. The "dry" types of lubricants have been proven to provide better resistance to attracting dirt and grime. They are used in the bicycles and in motorcycles too, but to each his own.
You're right. Im assuming u r talking about bearings and I just prefer a mostly friction free drivetrain over saving the bearing life. I replace wheel bearings every gallon and all the others after 2 even if they are still good. Like u say, to each his own.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

I cleaned a bunch of bearings last night with nitro cleaner then oiled them with the TrakPower Krytech. They now spin more freely after cleaning than when new (I compared one I cleaned with a brand new one). Not sure how the stuff works on anything else, but as a bearing oil I think it works just fine.

I would suggest using something like this to apply it to the bearings so you dont waste too much.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB970&P=7

The smell reminds me of Remington Rem Oil.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Why do you use grease on your hingepins? Just wondering.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 071crazy
Why do you use grease on your hingepins? Just wondering.
Ride height is crucial when u want ur car to handle properly. I don't want my ride height to be inaccurate because of the suspension binding. I assemble the front and rear end with very little play so when dust or dirt gets into those spots the suspension will bind giving you inconsistent ride height readings. But when I use grease the binding doesn't occur even when the grease gets dirty. I love the krytech/odonnell lube, but for things other than hinge pins and bearings.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ride height is crucial when u want ur car to handle properly. I don't want my ride height to be inaccurate because of the suspension binding. I assemble the front and rear end with very little play so when dust or dirt gets into those spots the suspension will bind giving you inconsistent ride height readings. But when I use grease the binding doesn't occur even when the grease gets dirty. I love the krytech/odonnell lube, but for things other than hinge pins and bearings.
Ah, ride height. That's something i have to focus on more.

Could you just use light oil instead of grease?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

whats else is left after that? lol.. cvd's?..i breAK my cars down entirely after a race/practice day, and re-do everything anyway , so i shouldn't have a issue with it building up..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.