Wiki Posts
Search

D8S Problems/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default D8S Problems/Questions

So my friend bought 1 of these a few weeks ago. He has 2 runs on it, and has bent the rear center drive shaft twice. It's frustrating getting to the track and bending the same part after 10 minutes of run time. Other issue we are having is the engine. While it tunes real easy, it just doesn't seem to have much power. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to squeeze every bit out of her, but in the end the engine seems to be lacking.

I would like to here from others that have this buggy. Is the engine something that needs replaced right from the start? running the Fear Farm here in AZ requires some punch to get over a lot of the stuff.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Just wanted to get this topside again. Looking like there's not too many of these out there yet.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Most rtr engines are decent but compared to a race engine they are down on power. Is the engine fully broke in? If not it will prob. get a little faster once it loosenes up a little. I don't have one but i did race a d8 last year and never bent a driveshaft. Maybe someone else can help you on that.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default hmm

which is better the d8s or the pulse nitro ?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by romax
Most rtr engines are decent but compared to a race engine they are down on power. Is the engine fully broke in? If not it will prob. get a little faster once it loosenes up a little. I don't have one but i did race a d8 last year and never bent a driveshaft. Maybe someone else can help you on that.
We're comparing it to my Losi 350 which is another RTR. It seems as if it's way under powered in comparison to another RTR engine. I wonder if 30% Nitro would wake her up some. As far as the drive shaft is concerned, the D8 setup is slightly different it would appear. The CVD's are different, and I believe the shaft is slightly shorter.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Tech Adept

i think 30% is pretty much the standard for buggy/truggy engines. may help a bit
Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

A proper pipeset will make the biggest difference. It's real difficult to say what would be the best, but personally speaking, I've not found an engine yet that didn't run well with a Werks 2013.

Next to that I'd consider Alum clutch shoes and 1.0 springs.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoePit
I would like to here from others that have this buggy.
I got the chance to drive my friend kit and I would say the rear inner hinge pin keeps popping out (due to the rear plastic hinge plate bent easily) I advise him to get the proper rear toe plate to solve this issue...
Old 03-21-2012, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by td_04
I got the chance to drive my friend kit and I would say the rear inner hinge pin keeps popping out (due to the rear plastic hinge plate bent easily) I advise him to get the proper rear toe plate to solve this issue...
Yeah he broke the plastic ones day 1 and replaced with aluminum.

Thanx for the opinions folks. Much appreciated!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
A proper pipeset will make the biggest difference. It's real difficult to say what would be the best, but personally speaking, I've not found an engine yet that didn't run well with a Werks 2013.

Next to that I'd consider Alum clutch shoes and 1.0 springs.
+ 1 pipe and clutch makes a big difference.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

As far as bending the driveshafts would aluminum chassis brace help?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have a d8s too and seems like the nitro star f3.5 engine is really underpowered even with the use of 30% nitro. Drove mines at the local dirt track and seems lack power more than a traxxas 3.3 engine. Clocked mines at 34mph, which in my opinion, it could do better. Saw my uncle clock his Losi 8ight 2.0 rtr with the Losi 350 engine at 42mph.

So my friend bought 1 of these a few weeks ago. He has 2 runs on it, and has bent the rear center drive shaft twice. It's frustrating getting to the track and bending the same part after 10 minutes of run time. Other issue we are having is the engine. While it tunes real easy, it just doesn't seem to have much power. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to squeeze every bit out of her, but in the end the engine seems to be lacking.

I would like to here from others that have this buggy. Is the engine something that needs replaced right from the start? running the Fear Farm here in AZ requires some punch to get over a lot of the stuff.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by shaman89
I have a d8s too and seems like the nitro star f3.5 engine is really underpowered even with the use of 30% nitro. Drove mines at the local dirt track and seems lack power more than a traxxas 3.3 engine. Clocked mines at 34mph, which in my opinion, it could do better. Saw my uncle clock his Losi 8ight 2.0 rtr with the Losi 350 engine at 42mph.
We're gonna stick a RE11 on it this weekend. Hopefully that will wake it up some so he could enjoy the track a bit more. You bend any center rear shafts yet? He's done 2 already. 1 each time that car went to the track.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have had pretty good luck with mines so far. No broken parts or anything. Only problem that I see is the center rear drive shaft. It is rubbing against the motor mount.

We're gonna stick a RE11 on it this weekend. Hopefully that will wake it up some so he could enjoy the track a bit more. You bend any center rear shafts yet? He's done 2 already. 1 each time that car went to the track.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default I have a d8s and I need some help.

I am new to this hobby. I bought a d8s and having difficulties setting up the air filter. It seems that one end doesnt go in really well. I tried to put the zipper lock but still really loose. I need some help with and I don't know what to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.